SHUT UP!! I paid to hear the band!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2002 :  02:21:36 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Which of us can identify with this story that was recently emailed to me:

"The name of this next song is Shut Up," an annoyed Jeff Tweedy of the band Wilco told a rude Seattle crowd last year.

It's summer concert season again and the jerks are out in force: the talkers, drunks, standers, off-key singers, bumbling dancers, fools who scream during the quiet part of a song and people who try to take your seat.

In a recent story we reported that a somewhat lackluster concert season and record-high ticket prices were causing many music fans to stay at home this year.

There was a flood of e-mail agreeing that ticket prices were too high - yet many of them said they absolutely wouldn't mind paying those prices if they could be sure of having good sight and sound. Too many times, readers said, they've spent hundreds of dollars on concert tickets just to have their evening ruined by the people around them.

If I'd been in the $250-a-seat second row of the Paul McCartney concert recently, I'd have been steamed. Because most of the first row stood throughout the show. Even when everyone else in the crowd was sitting, these clowns - already with the best seats in the house - stood up and hung on the barricades at the front of the stage, apparently indulging in some warped "Yeah, I'm just hangin' here with Paul" fantasy.

Then again, I'd have also been furious if I'd been in the middle of the floor. Again, during songs where everyone sat, one woman felt it was her duty to stand through every note (there must have been some sort of ticket mix-up, because usually that standing person has a seat directly in front of me).

To make up for blocking the view of the people behind her, though, she graciously did that wonderful dancing-fingers thing where she pointed around the arena doing waving little hand-dances in the air that once in a while actually seemed to have some correlation to what McCartney was doing onstage.

I'm not sure what would be worse - putting up with that, or with the woman behind me screeching loudly about her weekend plans through an acoustic version of Mother Nature's Son.

It's time for performers to take a stand, much like Bruce Springsteen did on his acoustic Ghost of Tom Joad tour. Every night, at the beginning of every show, he not-so-politely told the crowds to sit down and shut up. And for the most part, it worked.

But it's also time for the crowd to step up. Don't let them ruin your evening. Tell them to sit down and shut up. If they won't, call security.

There seems to be some unwritten code where it's uncool to complain about the guy yakking through a show or screaming out song titles from the 40th row (very effective, that). Wrong - you paid your money, and you have a right to hear and see the show.

Sure, you can get someone tossed out of a concert for fighting or drunkeness. But can you toss someone for being a jerk?

"Yes," says Clear Channel's Chuck Morris. "If someone makes a complaint, we'll try to get (the offender) to stop. If they don't stop, we'll tell them they'll be evicted."

Morris encourages people to complain if there's a problem. "We can't read people's minds," he says. If there's a problem, it'll be corrected.

Pepsi Center crews have actually gone as far as to sit a couple of ushers near problem patrons to make sure they quit their obnoxious behavior.

Usually just having the crowd shush a jerk is enough to stop the situation, says House of Blues' Barry Fey. If that doesn't work, "get an usher or somebody to reason with the guy. You have a right to see the damn thing without being disturbed."

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy

Fleabass76
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1026 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2002 :  03:03:19 AM  Show Profile  Send Fleabass76 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, Jude and I along w/ some other friends were at a concert in Milwaukee and there were like three girls sitting behind us and they would scream all the time. That high pitched scream, or the Beatles scream as I call it. They probably hurt my ears more than the freaking music did. Also, during the soundcheck when the ROADIES are were checking the guitar one of them uttered "He's playing my song!!!"

I did have a pleasant convo with a person sitting behind me at a chili peppers concert though, that was refreshing.

"Women and rhythm section first."
Mr. Jaco Pastorius
Adopt your own useless blob!
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2002 :  10:51:50 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I still think the part I laughed at the hardest was this part:
quote:
Again, during songs where everyone sat, one woman felt it was her duty to stand through every note (there must have been some sort of ticket mix-up, because usually that standing person has a seat directly in front of me).

I can't tell you how many TIMes I have felt like it was a plot against me that "that person" was seated right in front of me. If they ever weren't right in front of me, I would have felt there must have been some "ticket mix-up" as well. HAHAHAHA

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2002 :  11:12:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I usually get the person singing at the top of their lungs, off key,
sitting next to or in front of me!
My most memorable occasion being when I was seeing an acoustic show of Neil Youngs in a very small venue. Would of been ok if it were Crazy Horse and Neil. Just about when I was about to turn into super bitch cause I couldn't take it anymore this huge guy who looked like he might be a member of Hell's angels whispered something in the singing man's ear and I didn't her another word out of him the rest of the show!

Go to Top of Page

therippa
Fluffy-Esque

Kazakhstan
1099 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2002 :  12:32:36 PM  Show Profile  Send therippa an AOL message  Reply with Quote
This happened to me at a Tim show in San Francisco this year at the Boom-Boom Room. Me and my friend showed up very early so we could get a good view (we had gone to the show the night before in Mill Valley and were totally psyched). We sat at the side of the stage where there was a little bar against the wall. Right after the opening ban finished people started pushing forward. We didn't think anyone could block our view - there was only 4 feet in front of us of room and that was how you got to the bathroom. Sure enough some asshole stood right in front of us. I tapped him on the shoulder and calmly said...

"Hey dude...we've been sitting here for 3 1/2 hours waiting for Tim. You're blocking our view - could you slide over a little?"

His response: "You've got to be kidding me"

I almost exploded.

I did eventually convince him to move though.

---------------
Aspiring to Be Fluffy-Esque

"I heard Tim stopped playing with Dave when he got pregnant"
Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2002 :  12:44:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
you should have bought him a can of whoop ass.

- Without you, without you everything falls apart
Without you, it's not as much fun to pick up the pieces.
Go to Top of Page

revrendmaynard14
Chatterbox

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2002 :  2:43:26 PM  Show Profile  Send revrendmaynard14 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I have never bothered anyone at a concert but I do get into the music, usually when I am standing everyone around me is too, but I have noticed that I get into it more than others...

*~Kaleigh~*
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2002 :  5:23:25 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
people doing stupid fucking hippie dances right in front of me pisses me off. any dancing really, because it ends up violating my personal space. but especially stupid fucking hippie dancing. because it looks ridiculous and because the people doing this usually are on something that will hopefully kill them don't respond to verbal stimuli. i seriously have to use physical force to move them away. i shouldn't have to do that. they should have a special section for people who want to dance. even stupid fucking hippie dancing.

get in the car, little girl.
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2002 :  12:08:36 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Here's my two cents.

As long as someone is taping the show from the SOUNDBOARD, then people around me can do whatever the hell they want (within reason - like clapping, standing occasionally, talking a little; not too much noise, really, and nothing to get in my way.) And I guess that's as long as I'm in the front (like HOB). That way, I get to see the show, and later I get to hear it in a great recording, with little or no people yelling or whatever. The main thing tho, is that I get a recording of the show. That's what I like.

-what-
Go to Top of Page

Fleabass76
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1026 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2002 :  02:20:20 AM  Show Profile  Send Fleabass76 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Damn Hippies...

"Women and rhythm section first."
Mr. Jaco Pastorius
Adopt your own useless blob!
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2002 :  06:22:05 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Most common phrase heard at the Jenny Craig WeightWatchers Clinic, "I'm feeling a little hippie today."

OR

Wasn't the first line of the Ministry song Just One Fix "Never Trust a Hippie!!!"

No wait.....

Wasn't there a line from that movie "Planet of the Hippies", "Get your hands off me you damn, dirty hippie!!!" I think Charlton Heston said it.

Reminds me of a joke:

Where do you hide your money if you don't want a hippie stealing it?

Under the soap.

Reminds me of another joke:

How do you know if a hippie slept in your house last week?

He's still there.

I gotta million of 'em!(and they are all bad)

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2002 :  11:54:40 AM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
no need to get defensive. just relax a little.

"what i hate is people who blab about what they hate"

1) you just blabbed about what you hate. do you hate yourself now?
2) isn't a big part of being a hippie not hating people? what happened to peace and love?

"It's totally your own problem if you go to shows and stand still and don't move the whole night and get pissed cause you can't see. Got rhythm?"

1) so because i don't dance, i forfeit my right to enjoy the show?
2) it's totally your problem if i throw you a few feet in the opposite direction because you're unable to be considerate of other people and comprimise.
3) what happened to the phrase "whatever floats your boat"?

"Music is to be HEARD and not so much seen." and "Music is made to be enjoyed in whatever fashion you choose . . ."

1) i shouldn't have to point out the contradiction.
2) i choose to not dance and to listen and watch. don't be so prejudiced against people who don't enjoy music in the same way as you.

Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2002 :  12:04:37 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
hey. what happened to her post?
where's my medicine?

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2002 :  01:06:17 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
"Whatchu talkin' bout DanP?" Who got defensive? I am so confused! HEHE

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2002 :  01:10:45 AM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
hahahah. evergreen went off on a post. then i finished typing, the post was gone. but i took those quotes from her post, ere it was gone.

great, now it looks like i'm insane.

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2002 :  01:44:01 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I've seen people like you ranting in the streets at noone. Yes I think they are insane, but we won't hold that against you.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2002 :  1:20:57 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i don't rant at nothing usually. except that time i yelled at a hole in the ground for tripping me.

Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2002 :  4:29:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure what you're talking about since this is the first day I've been on the board since the weekend. I know I was in Montreal at the jazz festival yesterday and last night. Just came home earlier today. The only post today was in response to the sky chart thread. I didn't have TIMe to read anything else before I had to run off and pick up a friend at the airport. When was the post you quoted from above? It's not in quote format. Should I change my password?
REALLY weird!!!!

Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2002 :  4:40:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
2) isn't a big part of being a hippie not hating people? what happened to peace and love?

Oh and I'm not a hippie.... Just for the record. I like hippies don't get me wrong, some of my best friends are, I'm just not one myself.

And I don't know what happened to peace and love, I rarely find it anymore. It sure isn't in Dan's post.

Oh and if you find out what we're all talking about....let me know!

Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2002 :  11:58:32 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i never claimed it was.
and as long as we're on the topic, where's the beef?

Go to Top of Page

{=HTG=}
Alien Abductee

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2002 :  01:52:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Flamning JoeMoe, good.

"Boredom`s not a burden Anyone should bear" TOOL
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2002 :  03:41:44 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I think what he meant was.............

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2002 :  9:00:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Whenever Diane dances to Tim's music, it's pretty much "hippie dancing" and I think it's way cool. But maybe it's okay only for her since she's married to him...

teri

I'm walking for Alzheimer's! Memory Walk sponsors click here:
https://www.kintera.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=3898&lis=1&supId=1274679
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2002 :  03:32:04 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
If the music moves you, DANCE!! Just don't do it in front of others who are trying to watch. There is room for everyone to enjoy in their own way. It all boils down to having respect and consideration for others. Everyone should be able to enjoy the show how they see fit as long as it does not interfere with anyone elses ability to enjoy the show the way they want to. I think I am fantasizing about UTOPIA again. Just because you want to sit down doesn't mean you should expect everyone to be of the same mindset as you. And just because you want to dance does not mean you should expect everyone to be of the same mindset as you. It would be much nicer if everyone could enjoy it TOGETHER in their own ways. AHHHHHH, UTOPIA!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2002 :  05:04:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
But instead of a UTOPIA, it's a FRUITOPIA.

"Well you know boys, a nuclear reactor's a lot like a woman: you just have to read the manual and push the right button." - Homer
Go to Top of Page

strut24
Is Anybody Here?

35 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2002 :  5:21:45 PM  Show Profile  Send strut24 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I know what youre saying Fluffy...I remember last years Halloween-eve show in Rockford, IL where there was a drunken a-hole yelling at Tim on stage all kinds of things including to play Freebird and Tim flipped him off...hence the shirt that I made for Tim for Halloween the next night. I have had these complaints for years but someone I turn into the bad guy if I try to have some jerkoff SIT DOWN and SHUT UP...oh well, I guess I'll have to be the bad guy, who also helps the rest of the venue enjoy their show

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000