Fluffy needs to visit Catalina Island
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2002 :  10:54:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I went on a tour of the "interior" of Santa Catalina Island on Sunday. They have 300-350 buffalo/bison there, and we got to see a few of them from our tour bus.

http://boltzmann.eng.uci.edu/~carp/catalina/fv98.htm

teri

note: The buffalo is so closely associated with the Wild West that one might assume that its name comes from a Native American word, as is the case with the words moose and skunk. In fact, however, buffalo can probably be traced back by way of one or more of the Romance languages through Late and Classical Latin and ultimately to the Greek word boubalos, meaning “an antelope or a buffalo.” The buffalo referred to by the Greek and Latin words was of course not the American one but an Old World mammal, such as the water buffalo of southern Asia. Applied to the North American mammal, buffalo is a misnomer, bison being the preferred term. As far as everyday usage is concerned, however, buffalo, first recorded for the American mammal in 1635, is older than bison, first recorded in 1774. (ref:http://www.bartleby.com/61/19/B0531900.html)

LizT
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1687 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2002 :  11:11:32 PM  Show Profile  Send LizT an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for sharing Teri. The photographs are beautiful. Looks like it was an awesome day.

Go to Top of Page

genome
Fluffy-Esque

1098 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2002 :  11:53:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Boy. Now there's something I'm glad to know.

?uoyt' ner a, mehtf oenoer 'uoY
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2002 :  12:18:21 AM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ehh... child's play. You've got to get in close. :)

Go to Top of Page

genome
Fluffy-Esque

1098 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2002 :  12:25:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Horny bastard.

?uoyt' ner a, mehtf oenoer 'uoY
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2002 :  12:57:34 AM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Sorry... but I just had to point this one out... hehehe... hehehehe.... heh heheheheh.....

Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2002 :  10:02:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Looks like it was an awesome day.

It was so awesome I gave up on my diet for the afternoon! It was a delicious break!

teri

Did I mention that I finished a marathon?
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2002 :  10:26:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Teri did you even notice that you were walking by a place called "House of Wood" when that picture was taken? That is classic!
-J

Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2002 :  11:11:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
SOunds like something oot of beavis and butthead! Sounds awesome Teri! I've never been east of Ohio...maybe someday WHEN I CAN DRIVE!! hehahuh! Honk Honk!

Jay
" It's a scavenger hunt in the best of times, a one armed man with a box of dimes. Throw the stick and let the bulldog roll." KJP
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2002 :  05:45:46 AM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Man, as close as that is, I've never been there. Sounds like it would be a cool day trip to plan one day. That picture with the "wood" shop looks like it was taken on Balboa island in Newport Beach, have you ever been there? Lots of cool shops and hole-in-the-wall restaurants.
What did you eat that was so good?

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2002 :  8:38:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Wow!! Catalina island sounds pretty kewl. The NM prison you pass on the way to TR's house in Santa Fe has a huge corral on the grounds that has always been empty until this year. Now the corral is full of BUFFALO. Of course we could not stop and take pictures, but I would always have Rew drive slowly(as legally possible)past the corrals for a better look. Can you get off the bus on Catalina Island to observe the buffalos better?

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000