Furthur along we'll know all about it.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

genome
Fluffy-Esque

1098 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2002 :  1:33:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone here use or know anything about Furthur? I heard about it today and checked it out. If one possessed a fast internet connection (like Silky and therippa), then I think this sounds like a swell deal...

But it would be cooler if they'd just host the shows so that they would always be available...but that would take up so much space on a server that it would be ungodly, I guess.

I don't really know what I'm talking about. But what do you all think about Furthur?

?uoyt' ner a, mehtf oenoer 'uoY

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2002 :  10:46:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
If I knew what Furthur was, I might be able to help you.

teri

Did I mention that I finished a marathon?
Go to Top of Page

Fleabass76
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1026 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2002 :  10:51:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Fleabass76 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ditto..

"Women and rhythm section first."
Mr. Jaco Pastorius
Go to Top of Page

LizT
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1687 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2002 :  10:56:46 PM  Show Profile  Send LizT an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Do you mean the Further Festival? That's the only thing that comes to mind. It's with the remaining members of the Grateful Dead.

Go to Top of Page

LizT
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1687 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2002 :  10:58:22 PM  Show Profile  Send LizT an AOL message  Reply with Quote
And a few other guests too. Steve Kimock is one of them. He has Jerry's style of playing the guitar.

Go to Top of Page

LizT
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1687 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2002 :  11:13:28 PM  Show Profile  Send LizT an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'm sure that I'm way off on this one,
but that's nothing new! LOL!

Go to Top of Page

genome
Fluffy-Esque

1098 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2002 :  11:51:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, unfortunately you are way off. Furthur is apparenly a file sharing program...well, not program really...I'm not sure what it is... I think...I think it's more or less like Napster, which I figured lots of people would be familiar with...I'll see if I can find a site now with it...Well, nope, I couldn't...

Anyway, I'm sure I'll run across where I saw it before. I'm surprised no one else knows about it. I'm usually the last to hear of these kinds of things.

Go to Top of Page

genome
Fluffy-Esque

1098 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2002 :  11:52:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aaah.. and no one got the song reference in the title, no?

Go to Top of Page

genome
Fluffy-Esque

1098 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2002 :  12:08:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Furthur.net

----From the website----

Furthur is a non-commercial, opensource, peer-to-peer decentralized music sharing program currently under development by PCP Networks, LLC, with much support from members of the etree.org and Sugarmegs music sharing communities.

Furthur is unlike any other music sharing software on the Internet. Furthur is the first and only 100% non-commercial peer-to-peer network of legal live music created by fans for fans! We have no paid software or website developers, nor do we accept any advertising or compensation. We are developing Furthur to help spread live music to fans. Any musician that allows the non-commercial taping and trading of their live performances are fair-game for Furthur.

Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2002 :  12:28:30 AM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I've heard of it... just not checked it out yet. I'm sure it will catch on though. All of these file sharing services do!
-J

Go to Top of Page

Fleabass76
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1026 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2002 :  01:16:24 AM  Show Profile  Send Fleabass76 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That non-advertisment thing looks good...

"Women and rhythm section first."
Mr. Jaco Pastorius
Go to Top of Page

Isaac
Chatterbox

USA
461 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2002 :  10:24:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting, since its by Etree, I wonder if they'll be trading .shn's on this non-commercial file sharing program. Thats a really cool concept though, all legal live shows.

Isaac
----------------------------------------

"The dark side I sense in you"
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2002 :  1:08:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Aaah.. and no one got the song reference in the title, no?

I did, I just forgot to say anything about it.

teri

Did I mention that I finished a marathon?
Go to Top of Page

therippa
Fluffy-Esque

Kazakhstan
1099 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2002 :  1:16:44 PM  Show Profile  Send therippa an AOL message  Reply with Quote
This seems to be what Napster wanted to be to avoid being bent over by the RIAA

---------------
Aspiring to Be Fluffy-Esque

"I heard Tim stopped playing with Dave when he got pregnant"
Go to Top of Page

powdrdogdmb
Chatterbox

USA
131 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2002 :  2:59:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit powdrdogdmb's Homepage  Send powdrdogdmb an AOL message  Reply with Quote
www.furthurnet.com I think that's the one you're looking for. It's good for open network protocol like napster was, and they have tons of shn files which are mmm mmm good.
Go to Top of Page

genome
Fluffy-Esque

1098 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2002 :  4:23:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I think that is the one I was looking for. So much so, in fact, that I already put it in a post about 7 posts ago.

Go to Top of Page

Reese
Try A Little Harder

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2002 :  02:00:47 AM  Show Profile  Send Reese an AOL message  Reply with Quote
FurthurNet rock ass. a boddy of mine hwo is a big widespread fan told me about it. they've got a shit ton of shit on it. i've shared a couple tim solo acoustic sets on it and they've been uploaded about 10 times each. there were none as far as i could find until i shared a couple. unfortunatly for us they are all from the FTP site, but hey, the more people that hear the music the better. i highly suggest checking it out if you have a high speed connection.

the format is great. instead of downloading a single song, you download the entire show. .mp3 or .shn format, whichever you like/is available. they have something like 4 terabytes of music, which is a ton.

the website for downloading the software is www.furthurnet.com and it's real easy to install. do youself a favor and check it out.

reese

Go to Top of Page

genome
Fluffy-Esque

1098 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2002 :  08:31:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is the website?

Is it www.furthurnet.com ?

Go to Top of Page

Reese
Try A Little Harder

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2002 :  2:08:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Reese an AOL message  Reply with Quote
yep, you got it.

Go to Top of Page

genome
Fluffy-Esque

1098 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2002 :  4:05:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So you're saying their site is

www.furthurnet.com ?

Go to Top of Page

powdrdogdmb
Chatterbox

USA
131 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2002 :  4:42:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit powdrdogdmb's Homepage  Send powdrdogdmb an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well, if you look at your post from earlier, and if everybody that tried it out earlier noticed YOU HAD THE WRONG LINK, i.e.
Genome:
quote:
Furthur.net

but it's nice to know that you care so much to edit your posts so nobody else would encounter this misfortunate problem on your misdirected link.

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger" Nietzche
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2002 :  4:56:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Actually that link works too...

Don't mind me, just whoring through.

Go to Top of Page

powdrdogdmb
Chatterbox

USA
131 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2002 :  5:29:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit powdrdogdmb's Homepage  Send powdrdogdmb an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That's what I mean, it works now, it didn't before, it went to further.net, not furthernet.com... damn it.
-WBB

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger" Nietzche
Go to Top of Page

genome
Fluffy-Esque

1098 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2002 :  6:17:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, actually I didn't edit that post at all. The link itself works. What I NAMED it is wrong, you're right about that. I didn't notice that until just now. But you are right, I did label the link wrong. But if you click on that link, you will go to furthernet.com. And I didn't edit that post, whatever you think. I just typed it wrong in the html.

Go to Top of Page

powdrdogdmb
Chatterbox

USA
131 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2002 :  03:04:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit powdrdogdmb's Homepage  Send powdrdogdmb an AOL message  Reply with Quote
zzz... okay...I'm not losing sleep over it...zzz
Go to Top of Page

genome
Fluffy-Esque

1098 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2002 :  08:46:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah. Whatever. dot net.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: