What is/was your Major?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2002 :  01:39:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Patrick, Kevin, and I have been having an interesting (others may say geeky) discussion about grammar tonight. During this discussion, Kevin mentioned that he is majoring in English. That made me curious what Patrick is majoring in. Rather than asking just Patrick, I thought I'd ask everyone on the board.

I hope this goes over better than my question about illegal substances.

teri

Did I mention that I finished a marathon?

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2002 :  02:41:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I hope this goes over better than my question about illegal substances.

That is....unless....the person is majoring in illegal substances.

But my major is mechanical engineering. So far, the college classes have been the same as they were in high school. I took AP Calculus AB and BC, AP Chemistry, AP Physics, and two AP English classes in high school. And in my first year of classes, I've taken Calculus I ans II, Chemistry, Physics, and Intro to College Writing. Next year is gonna be a bitch because I'll be traveling into uncharted territory.

"I didn't think it was physically possible, but this both sucks and blows."
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2002 :  02:56:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I bet there are people who have done that!

I forgot to mention that my major was Aeronautics and Astronautics, which at most schools is simply known as Aerospace Engineering.

teri

Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2002 :  11:11:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We sure have brain power on this message board.
Aerospace engineering...That's amazing! It must be so
interesting. Is that what you're doing for work now?
One of my favorite shows on Discovery Science is Mission
Control.

In college I majored in two totally different things.
Biological and physiological sciences and visual arts.
I couldn't decide whether to be a science geek or an artist
so I did both. I focused the science stuff into a Bachelor
of Science in Nursing with a focus on environmental health.
Doing this because I knew I could get employment anyTIMe, anywhere.
I also have a BA with a focus on mixed media and fabric design.
These days science is my job and art is my play. I'm presently
taking graduate courses in environmental health(air, water quality, pollutants and chemical effects on humans) and toxicology, but
I've yet to choose a specific graduate program. I'm thinking of bagging it all and becoming an Astronomer!!!!

And thru it all I've mostly wondered.........
Why does knowledge and education cost so much????

Go to Top of Page

dick mountjoy
Chatterbox

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2002 :  11:30:57 AM  Show Profile  Send dick mountjoy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
dick mountjoy has a b.a. in international relations. hooray for me.

Go to Top of Page

dirtysloth
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1302 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2002 :  12:19:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got two more days left of high school, but in a couple months I'll be at Full Sail for Recording Arts & Sciences.

Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2002 :  1:42:11 PM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Was gunna be film back in milwaukee but that place sucked so now im AAS (Associates of applied science) in gutar perfromance.

- Without you, without you everything falls apart
Without you, it's not as much fun to pick up the pieces.
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2002 :  1:54:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'm majoring in human factors psychology.
-J

Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2002 :  2:02:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Interesting! My roommate got her Master's in Human Factors Engineering. You two could go into a consulting business or something.

teri

Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2002 :  2:07:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Aerospace engineering...That's amazing! It must be so
interesting. Is that what you're doing for work now?

I focused the science stuff into a Bachelor
of Science in Nursing with a focus on environmental health.
I also have a BA with a focus on mixed media and fabric design.
These days science is my job and art is my play. I'm presently
taking graduate courses in environmental health (air, water quality, pollutants and chemical effects on humans) and toxicology, but
I've yet to choose a specific graduate program. I'm thinking of bagging it all and becoming an Astronomer!!!!

I was doing Aero stuff for the first couple of years I was in LA. I was working to acquire new communications satellites for the Department of Defense. It was a cool job, but I wanted a career field that would allow me to ask for overseas assignments, so I switch to Communications and Computers. So now I'm in charge of the base network, phone system and information security. It can be quite a challenge sometimes!

WOW! I'm so impressed that you've got multiple degrees. And yours are so varied that there couldn't have been much overlap in course requirements. You must have studied ALOT. And you're still going. You must be the Energizer bunny of academics!

teri

Go to Top of Page

MC
Try A Little Harder

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2002 :  8:51:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm an Audio Production major / Film minor at Ohio University (still wating for Tim to stop by OU, hopefully Fall '02). School gets so old so quick.

Peace

"Turn it into love, man. Whatever's fucked up in the world, just turn it into love. Take in the bad and give out the good, otherwise we're all gonna die and go to hell." T.R.
Go to Top of Page

Fleabass76
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1026 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2002 :  11:38:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Fleabass76 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'm going for an Associates degree in Bass Performance...and if I get really ambitios i might go for the Bachelors degree...but 2 more years? I JUST WANNA ROCK!

"People always tell you to color inside the lines, [but] who drew the lines in the first place? [Think about that.]" -Victor Wooten
Go to Top of Page

Isaac
Chatterbox

USA
461 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2002 :  11:09:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Comp-sci represent!

I'm workings towards my associates degree in Computer Networking Technology, and I'm pretty sure I'll go for my Bachelors after.

Isaac
----------------------------------------

"The dark side I sense in you"
Go to Top of Page

LizT
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1687 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2002 :  11:21:24 AM  Show Profile  Send LizT an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I major in stupidity for not becoming a doctor.

Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2002 :  1:20:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Doctors are elitist; nurses are cool. (Unless you decide to become a doctor, that is. Then there will be one cool doctor too.)

teri

Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2002 :  1:28:00 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
"Maybe I coulda' been a doctor... and then I could make anyone laugh."

Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2002 :  2:07:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i want to do something with music and Bass guitar(electric and upright) any suggestions what i should major in?

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

therippa
Fluffy-Esque

Kazakhstan
1099 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2002 :  3:17:33 PM  Show Profile  Send therippa an AOL message  Reply with Quote
For 1.5 months I was aspiring to be a bachelor in the MIS field

---------------
Aspiring to Be Fluffy-Esque

"I heard Tim stopped playing with Dave when he got pregnant"
Go to Top of Page

Fleabass76
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1026 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2002 :  5:23:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Fleabass76 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

i want to do something with music and Bass guitar(electric and upright) any suggestions what i should major in?

It depends what you want to do. Do you want to be a player or a teacher or both? Where do you want to teach if u want to teach at all. Basically if you just want to play, you don't necessarily need any kind of degree. If you want to teach in public schools, you need to get a 4 year college degree. If you want to teach private lessons at some music stores like Mars, you need a 2 year degree.

"People always tell you to color inside the lines, [but] who drew the lines in the first place? [Think about that.]" -Victor Wooten
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2002 :  9:04:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah i don't really want to teach, maybe some private lessons, but mostly i want to get out there and just play, be it jazz or rock or anything really. just perform and nothing else!

Go to Top of Page

Fleabass76
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1026 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2002 :  10:05:06 PM  Show Profile  Send Fleabass76 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Then start learning how to play alot of different styles and also learn how to read music. Then you'll have a pretty good chance at being a pro...along w/ practicing your scales and all that good stuff..

Go to Top of Page

Reese
Try A Little Harder

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2002 :  12:53:42 AM  Show Profile  Send Reese an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i was studying Mechanical Engineering, but just recently switched to Civil Engineering. it's much more fun. i get to play in the dirt!

reese

Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2002 :  11:16:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Teri Said:
quote:
Doctors are elitist; nurses are cool

You said it!!!!!!

Liz I can't see you being an MD as opposed to a Nurse. Not because it takes more brains to become one, because it really doesn't. That's a huge misconception among the general public. But because you're so caring and compassionate. A desire to CARE and help humans heal as opposed to trying to CURE without feeling.

Go to Top of Page

LizT
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1687 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2002 :  4:16:22 PM  Show Profile  Send LizT an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Doctors are elitist; nurses are cool. (Unless you decide to become a doctor, that is. Then there will be one cool doctor too.)

Thanks Teri. If I was a doc I would be very different than most. It's too late for me anyway. By the time I would pay off medical school I would want to retire. I love what I do in nursing and can't see myself doing anything else.

Evergreen I think what bothers me in nursing is the fact that the doctors get the credit when the nurses do all the work. The caring, compassion and the healing. Most of the time it's the nurses leading the doctors in diagnosing patients because we see the big picture. They are book smart(most of them) but not people smart.

Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2002 :  6:34:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Then start learning how to play alot of different styles and also learn how to read music. Then you'll have a pretty good chance at being a pro...along w/ practicing your scales and all that good stuff..

yeah right now i'm taking lessons with a classical teacher and lessons with a jazz teacher on upright, and electric i've always been able to cut through jazz/rock/bluegrass with decent ease. scales are getting better, speed is getting better, and i'm working on composing and writing some now. also trying to play piano(which is a bitch) and slowly getting there.

Go to Top of Page

Fleabass76
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1026 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2002 :  03:37:39 AM  Show Profile  Send Fleabass76 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
If scales get boring I can give you some suggestions on how to make the more "fun," if you want.

"Women and rhythm section first."
Mr. Jaco Pastorius
Go to Top of Page

powdrdogdmb
Chatterbox

USA
131 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2002 :  05:22:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit powdrdogdmb's Homepage  Send powdrdogdmb an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'm a German and Biology major, minor in Chemistry - I'll be finished at the end of the month with it all (and that means I have to come home from Austria...waaaaahhhh), so Hooray for me, but as this is my second round of applying to med school while I'm finishing up my B.S. degree I'm also a professional grad. school applicant. If it doesn't work out this year I think I'm going to Jazz School. Oh, and I agree that nurses don't get enough credit, but from my experience in the ER last summer, they're overwhelmed (not that nurses aren't but they had 8-10 beds to handle whereas the nurses handled six which was a lot of work too). The teamwork isn't acknowleged as much as it should be for sure.
Peace Be With
-WBB
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2002 :  9:53:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

If scales get boring I can give you some suggestions on how to make the more "fun," if you want.

Mr. Jaco Pastorius

please, i can use all the advice i can get!

Go to Top of Page

LizT
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1687 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2002 :  10:53:18 PM  Show Profile  Send LizT an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Oh, and I agree that nurses don't get enough credit, but from my experience in the ER last summer, they're overwhelmed (not that nurses aren't but they had 8-10 beds to handle whereas the nurses handled six which was a lot of work too). The teamwork isn't acknowleged as much as it should be for sure.

You are right Winston. If it wasn't for teamwork the patients wouldn't get taken care of. I'm fortunate to work with a bunch of excellent docs and great nursing staff. The miserable staff forget what they are there for and I gently remind them it's for the patients.

Go to Top of Page

Fleabass76
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1026 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2002 :  11:01:02 PM  Show Profile  Send Fleabass76 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
ok...here's some stuff that can break up the monotony of doing scales while still helping you:

Doing scales in 3rds/4ths/5ths/6ths. Basically, you can take any scale and play it broken up into intervals. ex. C Maj scale in 3rds= CE DF EG......BD C, then back down: CA BG AF.....DB C. That's the best way I can explain it here. It can also sound cool and it's a little more melodic than CDEFGABCBAGFEDC.

Something that can be hard to do is start a scale at the highest top note, play it down and back up. Most teachers teach you to just start at the bottom and go up, but music and especially walking bass lines would sound pretty boring if you always had to go up before u went down.

Learn how to read and get better at it, I can't stress this enough. While you're still young it is way easier.

Do you know what the modes are?

Mr. Jaco Pastorius
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2002 :  07:40:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks, i'l work on that. yeah i know the modes, that's the fun stuff there, going through and figuring those out. any other advice you have, i'd be all for it!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000