Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 Nothing to do with Tim... thoughts on war/peace
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2001 :  03:32:08 AM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
There is really one point that I feel like writing out, so here it goes. This is my raw feeling right now.

While watching TV today.. I kept hearing about how everyone wants retaliation, everyone wants massive payback for what happened. In a poll, 80% of americans said they would support war, even if it meant innocent lives would be killed. I want everyone to think about the wars that have been ongoing in the middle-east. If you watch the news at all, you hear about how one side attacked the other in retaliation of a previous attack. It has been going on for years. Everything is a retaliation of a retaliation, of a retaliation. It will continue for ever unless both sides just stop, something that looks like it will never happen. This could very well be what we are walking into. War is bad. A war now, considering of the allies involved could very well lead to the end of the world. Obviously the American in me wants to see justice served, but there are other ways of letting justice prevail while still minimizing the loss of more human life. Don't get me wrong, I think Ben Laden is a piece of shit, not even worthy of being called human, but there is also a part of me that feels if we retaliate in a war-like effort against his country, it brings us down a level. Please America, think... is war really what we want? Isn't fighting terrorism supposed to bring peace?

LizT
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1687 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2001 :  09:52:27 AM  Show Profile  Send LizT an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Kevin, I agree all efforts made should be to keep peace in the world. Unfortunately, a war has been declared. In reality, this appears to be just the beginning. I have been glued to the TV since the attack has occurred. We are all feeling shock, horror, sadness, and grief. All our lives have been changed forever. We can only pray and hope that the right decisions are made with minimal loss of our precious lives. Peace, Liz
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2001 :  10:21:43 AM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I believe the idea behind the forthcoming strike is going to be to make the consequences for terrorism, or harboring terrorists, so horrific that in the future there will not be any country willing to face the losses/consequences for this kind of action. Whether or not it will work is yet to be seen. I think it will certainly have an effect, but nothing is 100% sure. Undoubtedly, there are better ways to handle any situation than through violence, as when the dust settles, in war, someone has been beaten into submission to the point that they give up and negotiate. Why the world never skips the fighting step and goes straight to talking things out? Who knows. The events that are about to occur will certainly affect the entire world in some way, and I can only hope that we will all be here to talk about it when it is all said and done.

Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity.

-Jeff

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2001 :  12:49:01 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity.
-Jeff

I read all the posts, and I didn't agree with any single statement more than that one. You put your finger on it, no question.

I am with you, Kevin. I think we have to stand back and just say, wait a minute, and then, later, do what we need to do. Blow someone up, maybe. Take out a few very main terrorists, absolutely. But it needs to be calculated, not a rash immediate reaction.

If Americans will come together to support each other in this sort of time, then surely they will be able to come together and support our President. He doesn't let Americans that kill Americans live (read: TX death penalty) so he WILL NOT let non-Americans do the same without just punishment.

-Jason-

Silence is one great art of conversation.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000