New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

{=HTG=}
Alien Abductee

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2002 :  7:12:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
#41. One of my all time favorite songs. (There is a minor change in the introduction when I play it, thats about all thats diffrent) It sounds NICE (minus the singing, LOL) Not bad for someone that's only been playing for about 6 and a half months huh? ^_^ And I want to thank the people here who gave me those starters when I first bought my guitar, techniques, and tips. They were of great help, heck, they still are a great help. Thank you all.

"Lean upon me, I'll lean upon you, We'll be okay."
-Dave Matthews-

joemoe
Try A Little Harder

77 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2002 :  7:20:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats awesome man. #41! Good for you.

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2002 :  8:30:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
How do you play it? I'm always interested in how other people play his songs. I once heard someone cover him......good voice, but he was probably using basic chords or something.......can't remember his name either.

Here's how I play it:

Intro
e----------------
b-1--3--5--3-----
g-4--0--7--0h4p0-
d-2--4--7--4-----
a----------------
E----------------

Verse
e---------------------
b----8----8----8----8-
g----7----7----7----7-
d---------------------
a------------7----5---
E--5----7-------------

Chorus
e----3----2------
b----3----3---8--
g----0----2---9--
d----0----0---10-
a----2----0------
E--3----2-----8--

Outro
e--10--7-8-7--5--5-
b---8--8-8-8--8--7-
g---7--7-7-7--7--7-
d------------------
a------------------
E------------------

99% accurate on this one (I could never find the intro for a T&D version, but that's the studio intro)......just like almost every other song that I know by him.

"I do what I can with what I've got."
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2002 :  9:32:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Lemme grab my geetar and I'll whip up a tab for the chords he uses on L@LC...
-J

Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2002 :  9:50:54 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
There you go... verbatim.

Intro:
--------------------
----------8---3-----
--5---7---4---0h4---
--2---4---5---4-----
--3---5---7---5-----
--5---7-------------

Verse is the same as yours...

Chorus:
--------------------
------3-------------
--4---2---9---------
--x---0---x---------
--2---x---7---------
--3---2--/8---------

Outro is the same as yours as well.

And here's how I play the intro if my hand isn't feeling flexible enough to contort itself into looking like a bad farm accident:
----------3----------
--1---7---3---3------
--0---7---0---0h4----
--2---0---2---4------
--0---x---2---5------
------7---0----------

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2002 :  10:01:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Sweet!! Thanks Silky! I guess you must hate that into chord for Tripping Billies too
e----------
b----------
g--6--4--7-
d--2--2----
a----------
E--5--5--7-

......or for that matter, that complete bitch of a chord in Is Anybody Here....you know...
e----
b--3-
g--2-
d--6-
a----
E----

Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2002 :  11:53:48 AM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I do, but I can handle that one a little easier than the ones in #41! I can usually pull it off, but sometimes my hands just don't do what I want them to do... that's why I put an alternate way to play it that doesn't strain anything too badly for those of us without Shaq sized hands.
-J

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2002 :  3:49:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yeah...I know exactly what you're talking aboot. For Is Anybody Here....I can someTIMes pull that thing off with little difficulty, but then there are someTIMes when it is almost impossible. And it's not like the Tripping Billies chord where you eventually get used to it......

Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2002 :  4:33:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I've never played the one to Is Anybody Here... I saw him contort his hand into some really groovy looking positions when he played it live and I basically just said FUCK IT... that's one Tim song I may just not tackle!
-J

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2002 :  4:43:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
It's a great song to play, but it's also a huge bitch to play. I need a 10 minute breather after doing THAT one!

Go to Top of Page

{=HTG=}
Alien Abductee

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2002 :  7:08:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
e----
b--3-
g--2-
d--6-
a----
E----

Damn. And your right, you do get used to the Trippin Billies stretch, after several aching practice sessions. Oh, and I got to play #41 to my friends, they enjoyed it, saying it was a near perfect rendition.

-Dave Matthews-
Go to Top of Page

joemoe
Try A Little Harder

77 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2002 :  10:49:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I HATE messing with Trippin Billies. My damn pinky cant take it.

Go to Top of Page

{=HTG=}
Alien Abductee

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2002 :  8:22:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your right joemoe, my pinky is always in a world of hurt after just TRYING that one.

-Dave Matthews-
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2002 :  10:10:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Don't worry....with practice, you can eventually lay all four fingers down at the same TIMe.

Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2002 :  11:01:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i feel dumb for always bringing up victor wooten, but he's the man when it comes to bass. I have a video called "making music with victor wooten and carter beauford" and the 2 of them jam out to #41 in the credits and outro of the video. that's one of the best versions i've ever heard of the song. Vic throws in all those amazing flamenco rakes, double thumbs slap, tapping and such in it....so nice...

Go to Top of Page

{=HTG=}
Alien Abductee

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2002 :  12:44:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds awesome victorwootenfan. I saw a copy of that movie in a music store a long time ago, but I didnt think much of it. I'll be sure to check that out.

"Timmy's going to play something for you, and i'll be right back. I just, I just cant go an evening without him doing something, so I dont have to anything, I can just get blown away. He's the man." Dave Matthews.
Go to Top of Page

joemoe
Try A Little Harder

77 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2002 :  01:26:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"making music with victor wooten and carter beauford"
I'll remember to try and look for that.

Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2002 :  1:02:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh yeah, i forgot to mention also that it's an instructional video, for bass/drum musician's, and actually has some footage of random wooten brothers, and flecktones members, plus about 4 or 5 carter/vic jams. it's well worth it!

Go to Top of Page

{=HTG=}
Alien Abductee

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2002 :  8:22:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
VWF. What do you think of Victor Wootens role in "The maker" His bass skills on that song go well with the mood.

Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2002 :  8:28:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Verse
e---------------------
b----8----8----8----8-
g----7----7----7----7-
d---------------------
a------------7----5---
E--5----7-------------

That sounds really good with the extra "10" on the high E. Dave plays it that way a lot...but yall know that...what the hell i'm a fucking dumbass...but you already know THAT, too. Dammit...

Jay
My last name is confusing...It is Spelled Wiegand but is pronounced Weegend...another insult to the English language...
Go to Top of Page

{=HTG=}
Alien Abductee

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2002 :  01:01:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
but yall know that

I didnt! It makes it sound better, the high e on 10. I appreciate that Jay.

Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2002 :  01:19:57 AM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
E would be on the 12th fret, not the 10th :P
-J

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2002 :  07:05:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yeah....it would be a D....but he meant on the high e string. Anyway.....Dave usually doesn't play that note except for the outro. Mainly because you can't maintain it through this thing

e-----------
b-----------
g-----------
d-----------
a-------7--5
E-5--7------

It's too hard to use your index finger to play each of those base notes.

Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2002 :  1:09:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i do!

Jay
My last name is confusing...It is Spelled Wiegand but is pronounced Weegend...another insult to the English language...
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2002 :  4:29:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Vic holds down the groove nicely on that song. he doesn't overplay as much, and just kinda adds his own 2 cents in while jammin' with Tim, and DMB. it's no #41 on that cd, but hot cheese is it good!

Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2002 :  2:06:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Vic is amazing. Him and Les Claypol are tied for #1, in my opinion. Tommy the cat Live by primus is obsolutely amazing! Wow! Les's vocals are great, too! " Slidin on down the alleyway like butter dripping off a hot biscuit. She knew what she wanted! She was looking for that stud bull! The HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE cat. And that was me." Anyone heard this song on Rhinoplasty?

Jay
Go to Top of Page

{=HTG=}
Alien Abductee

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2002 :  7:10:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've heard both versions, but the live one is crazy. His solo is up there with Vic's on #41.

Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2002 :  3:05:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Les Claypool is good!! i don't rate him with wooten, because it's kinda they're style is really dif. but still i love primus and stuff like that. Haven't heard tommy the cat's live version, but i'll have to check it out. i still think everyone should get a listen to classical thump by vic wooten, good stuff. Or for fretless bass work anything by steve bailey, or of course jaco pastorius.

Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2002 :  3:35:33 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i've heard classicl thump, cool song. Primus is totaly origainal, Les is a god on bass, as is Vic, but they are different styles, so we will say they are tied, ok?

Jay
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2002 :  9:33:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
good deal jay, i think we can safely tie then. Les with the band Sausage easily shows his godlike ability. Vic and les are dual gods of bass, so i guess that makes us pagan then...

Go to Top of Page

{=HTG=}
Alien Abductee

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2002 :  11:10:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
so we will say they are tied, ok?

I agree a hundred percent. Both unique and diffrent styles.

Go to Top of Page

chatterballs
Chatterbox

117 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2002 :  2:01:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, the tripping billies intro is nothing, have you ever figured out the verse, it's an exercise in hand stretches and movement about the fretboard...hardest dave riff besides "the stone", but also the most rewarding and fun.

Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2002 :  3:45:32 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I think Rhyme and Reason is the most difficult.

Jay
Go to Top of Page

chatterballs
Chatterbox

117 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2002 :  4:34:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, rhyme and reason is tough, but only when first learned. If you think of the patterns he's playing as just chord shapes, it's really simple, just slide up into everything...sweet.
Trying to remember it off the top of my head, it's like, Gm, Eb, F, C, and etc.
Go to Top of Page

{=HTG=}
Alien Abductee

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2002 :  4:48:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
have you ever figured out the verse, it's an exercise in hand stretches and movement about the fretboard...

He's got a point. Just watching Dave play it on Vh1 Story Tellers left a couple of people I know with there jaws on the ground.

Go to Top of Page

chatterballs
Chatterbox

117 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2002 :  8:39:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*very cocky*
Yeah, I mastered the Billies verse.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: