New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2001 :  1:38:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do we want Tim to go mainstream music? He would still be playing the same stuff, but it would be about three times the listeners? Would that sort of ruin Tim for us, would we be angry with having to "share" tim or would we be glad that more of us are listening to Tim!

"Don't drink the pickle juice from the pickle jar, until all the pickles are gone."
-Son of a Boss
Arthenc@hotmail.com

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2001 :  2:04:36 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I think it would be great if more people were exposed to Tims solo stuff, and work with Puke Matrix/TR3. I mean, I'm sure tons of people know him from his gigs with DMB and Dave, but those are the people that were next to me at the tim show I went to, wanting to hear Tim play Ants and Crash, you know what I mean? So, it would be great for those people to get more exposure to Tim's music. But, I really like to take it upon myself to turn people on to music I like. Just about every musician I know, knows Tim Reynolds now because of me. Even my drummer knows who the hell Tim Reynolds is, and why he's so spectacular. I got my girlfriend into him, my sister, and even my parents. Someone with as much talent as Tim Reynolds should definately be exposed to as many people as possible.

As long as we don't see him on TRL.....hehe

Adam

And on the 8th day God created the art of war...and laughing, planned the end.

Email: Guitar_Boy1@yahoo.com

AIM: GuitarGuy305
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2001 :  2:27:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
As much as his music is amazing... I think one of the biggest draws to Tim is the "awe" factor. Most everyone on this board plays an instrument and is therefore involved in creation of music, and is able to understand what it takes to get the sounds out of a guitar that Tim does... at least that is the case for me. I love to listen to him and just think to myself how amazing it is that he is able to play the things that he does. My roommates, however, heard me playing a song of his and asked, "You play the guitar... is that hard?" So in that sense I don't think we'll ever really see Tim go very mainstream because it takes a special person to truly appreciate his music, where most of what mainstream music is nowadays are more represented by Brittney Spears and her prefabricated drivel, than the acoustic guitar playings of a man who has mastered just that.
-J

Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2001 :  2:42:02 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I agree with ya. I've always thought that it takes a guitar player to really appreciate a great gutiar player. I mean, guitarists like Tim, Clapton, SRV...everyone I know that is huge fans of any great guitarist, is a guitarist themself. I think people that know someone well that plays guitar can also appreciate tim in that way. I mentioned my g/f, sister and parents. They all know I play, and consider me a good guitarist. I've been playing for 8 or 9 years, and I am in no way even close to Tim's skill, they recognize that, and recognize how great a guitarist Tim is, and how difficult it is to play what he plays.

Adam

Go to Top of Page

Xar666
Yak Addict

USA
546 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2001 :  12:00:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Never. Mainstream for the most part sucks nowadays. Mainstream music up to about 1985 was great. 1985 - 1994 it was pretty good. Now 95% of the mainstream blows. I never listen to the radio. I like to see Tim in small clubs with real music fans. Silky is right about regular people not enjoying Tim's work. It is too advanced for most casual music fans. Most people like really simple songs that don't require much thought or attention from the listener. Not to say I don't like simpler music, I do. However, most people who aren't extreme music fans just don't get it when they hear more advanced music.

-Xar666

We're going to Vegas to croak a scag baron named Savage Henry. I've known him for years but he ripped us off. And you know what that means...
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2001 :  03:48:10 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I think Tim as mainstream music would be bad. I can easily think of someone else that wasn't mainstream for a few years (the great years) and then, Everyday, I think how it would be great to go back to those days....

Anyway, yeah, I think also that it does take a guitarist (or someone that at least tries, like me) to know how awesome people like Tim (but are there really people like tim?) are.

And I think main-Stream is about mainstream enough. A few of Tim's songs to be popular, sure. Enough for people that dig guitar music and can pick his stuff out places to hear it and be like "whoa, that guy can play" and then "let me check him out." So enough mainstream so that he gets recognized by people that are worthy of recognizing (as vague as that may be) but not so mainstream that there are hordes of young girls wearing alien t-shirts and waving posters that say "where's the gas-mask, Tim."

Not that I necessarily have a problem with hordes of young girls....

-Jason-

Silence is one great art of conversation.
Go to Top of Page

Reese
Try A Little Harder

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2001 :  12:57:32 PM  Show Profile  Send Reese an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i think the one factor that will not allow tim to go mainstream is lyrics. tim's current music has no lyrics. like Xar66 said, most casual music listeners can not comprehend music without words. when was the last time that any of you remembered an instrumental being a popular song, i sure as hell can't. the lack of lyrics is the reason tim will never go mainstream as well as the reason we all love his music so much.
it requires more thought to listen to and enjoy tim's music, that is something that we here are capable of doing. the majority of the rest fo the world just isn't.

later

Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2001 :  6:34:20 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That's true about the lyrics. The "pop" audience needs lyrics in order to take ANYTHING away from the music. But I, and I'm sure a lot of people on this board, am able to listen to a 100% instrumental album, and take a lot away from it. Whether I'm listening to a song like There is no Judgment or a song like Loose Interpretations or a song like Letting Go, the emotion in invoked in me, whether it be sadness, happiness, etc... most audiences need more than music to do that. I've always felt that Tim needs no lyrics, because his music speaks volumes already. It seems only true music lovers can truly appreciate an artist of Tim's incredible ability. Its not the kind of music you listen to for a 15 minute fix. Its the kind of music that can be a soundtrack to your life if you want it to. Besides artists nowadays that have a following, then go mainstream, they put out maybe one or two albums, then kind of fade away...theyre sometimes seen as "one hit wonders" even though theyve been around forever. And I wouldn't want that to happen to tim, becuase he has incredible talent, that is appreciated by many people already. He doesn't need to go mainstream. His work with DMB and Dave have brought him far enough into the mainstream for me. So I'm pretty much taking back what I said in the second post in this thread, or elaborating on it. Should more people be exposed to Tim? Definately, but they have to be the right kind of people...if that makes any sense at all.

Adam

Adam

Go to Top of Page

dirtysloth
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1302 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2001 :  7:06:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with you completely GuitarGuy305. I know there is a quote from Tim somewhere, I wish I could find it, talking about getting offers from labels and not signing because he wouldn't have full creativity. It also says something to the effect that he's really happy with his popularity now. It's like he's well known, but not shoved down everyone's throats (I guess I'm just talking about his name here, which is known far more than his music)... "comfortably mainstream" I guess you could say.

Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2001 :  10:46:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amen! Today, radio and pop listeners, have the attention span of a squirrel with his "nuts" being electrocuted. They can't sit still, the can't appreciate a calm simple song, like "After the Dust Settles" every thing must be in a nice formulated three minute and thirty second format, or it isn't worth listening to.
And can I get a show of hands, who on this board, regularly, listens to the radio stations that broadcast "today's hits" or "all alternative rock" or any other station besides the classical ones, news, talk, or public stations.

"Don't drink the pickle juice from the pickle jar, until all the pickles are gone."
-Son of a Boss
Arthenc@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Reese
Try A Little Harder

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2001 :  11:05:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Reese an AOL message  Reply with Quote
my hand is by my side. i can't stand top 40 radio. i will admit it, the only time that i listen to the radio is when it's playing in the weight room. i generally spend an hour to an hour and a half there each day, and almost every day i hear some songs played twice within that span which makes me think, it's damn pathetic how much of a lack of good music there is in the mainstream today. it's liek the dj just puts in a cd with the most popular songs on it, pushes the play button, falls asleep, and doesn't wake up until several hours later. can't you jsut see this in radio stations accross america? it's disapointing.

later

Go to Top of Page

dirtysloth
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1302 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2001 :  11:10:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't voluntarily subjected myself to the radiowaves of modern music in years, but that doesn't mean I still don't hear enough of it still. Sometimes I feel like I might be being close-minded, because maybe there is actually something that might be worth listening to, but most that I've heard makes me think, "anyone who's been playing guitar/bass/drums/whatever for a month could do this, why are they famous?". The average person isn't a musician and doesn't know any better, but it's still hard to think about it that way.

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2001 :  01:03:34 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I think that's true about musicians being able to appreciate good music better than the average person. I haven't played long, but I still have a pretty good appreciation for the skill it takes. And that's just for the straight guitar stuff, not even to mention the sampling and all that that Tim does.

As for top 40 and such, as I have said before: I love to watch Britney Spears...on MUTE. But really folks...

-Jason-

Silence is one great art of conversation.
Go to Top of Page

AGirlNamedPsycho
Try A Little Harder

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2001 :  02:11:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit AGirlNamedPsycho's Homepage  Send AGirlNamedPsycho an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well...I find the things I listen to, with the possible exception of Tim Reynolds, exist outside the big huge mainstream while still retaining some aspect of its accessibility. DMB notwithstanding obviously, bands like Air or the Flecktones are groups that I feel can express themselves creatively without being too far removed from what's quote-unquote easy to listen to. I like what Vic Wooten says about how he tries to have a certain simplicity in most everything he does; if it's a complex time signature he's playing in, he throws a simple melody on top so you can hum with it and not have to count the odd beats... maybe it just means I'm more hip about music I don't have to 'warm up' to :P I have my musician's music, and I have other stuff on the side..

Here's to as good you are
and Here's to as bad as I am
As good as you are, as bad as I am
I'm good as you are, bad as I am.
--irish toast
Go to Top of Page

dirtysloth
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1302 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2001 :  07:37:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, Psycho, I for one didn't mean to say that all music has to be technically difficult in order to be good. Sometimes it takes a lot of skill/taste to just stick to something simple. If you watch Vic's Bass Day '98 video at the end where he's giving a little bit of lesson, he just plays a single note over and over, but he really makes it groove. Simple music, if played right, is definitely a great thing. Sometimes it takes more talent to know when to just hang on that one note and drive it into the soul than to play a million notes in a second that don't mean anything.

Go to Top of Page

Dave S
Chatterbox

USA
145 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2001 :  5:21:18 PM  Show Profile  Send Dave S an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I think the answer we are looking for here is the language barrier...

The language i'm talking about is music...you have to study study it, practice it and understand it to fully appreciate it, in it's higher forms. And that is why lyrics are so important to pop songs, the average person does not get anything out of an instrumental piece, they don't "hear" what it is actually saying. Same as if any of us heard a song with Russian lyrics...we wouldn't know what the artist was trying to say, most likely.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000