Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 How long do you think this planet will last...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

drummerboy82
Chatterbox

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2002 :  11:53:02 AM  Show Profile  Send drummerboy82 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
and why?

just curious to hear some thoughts and opinions

Temporaryism has been the black plague, and Jesus of our age -Incubus

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2002 :  12:08:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i dont think anyone can actually answer that question, the fact is that we do not know how long the planet has been here to begin with. but if u are talking about how long it will be till we nuke eachother probably within a few 100 yrs. but even then that will not destroy the planet completely, rather it will kill off us and the planet will rebuild itself and live on another million years until finally it gets pulled into the sun.

- Without you, without you everything falls apart
Without you, it's not as much fun to pick up the pieces.
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2002 :  12:35:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The planet was here long before humans, and it will be here long after humans. Oh and we do know how long it's been here... in the area of 4 billion years. Somewhat close after "the big bang" occured... if you're into that theory.
-J

Go to Top of Page

Black Lotus
Fluffy-Esque

Burkina Faso (Upper Volta)
1043 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2002 :  1:18:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Black Lotus's Homepage  Send Black Lotus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
It'll be here long after we are ... we are the endangered species, not the earth.

-----------
Trade my life for a barrel of gold.
Find someone else before I get too old.
If I live my life for aesthetic gain,
will you repay me with all your pain?
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2002 :  3:46:26 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
wasn't the big bang 6 billion years ago? and about my take on the theory. i've seen math that i didn't understand that they say proves it. then i hear tell that a god made it. i have yet to see proof of that besides "because i said so." so either way, i'm taking someone else's word for it.

when you think about it, mud is just wet dirt.
Go to Top of Page

Black Lotus
Fluffy-Esque

Burkina Faso (Upper Volta)
1043 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2002 :  4:19:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Black Lotus's Homepage  Send Black Lotus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
All right guys, here's the truth. I created the earth, I'm not god or a god, I'm just an organism. I'm just some part of evolution, an evolution that will continue past me and hopefully, turn into something more sophisticated and intelligent.

No one knows, no one will ever know, you can do the math you can read the bible - whatever. Until someone creates a time machine and checks the shit out for themselves, we will never know. So, I say, believe what you want - you may be right. And until you're proven wrong by fact and evidence, you are right.

Both stories are possible, I guess, but I prefer to believe in the Big Bang Theory as I do not believe in a supreme being or any god for that matter (unless you count me, which I am actually a god - I at least have the complex to go along with it).

Anyway .... love, peace and hair grease,
Dave

-----------
Trade my life for a barrel of gold.
Find someone else before I get too old.
If I live my life for aesthetic gain,
will you repay me with all your pain?
Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2002 :  4:46:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Think for yourself
Question authority

Throughout human history, as our species has faced the frightening,
terrorizing fact that we do not know who we are, or where we are going in
this ocean of chaos, it has been the authorities, the political, the
religious, the educational authorities who attempted to comfort us by
giving us order, rules, regulations, informing, forming in our minds their
view of reality. To think for yourself you must question authority and
learn how to put yourself in a state of vulnerable, open-mindedness;
chaotic, confused, vulnerability to inform yourself.

Think for yourself.
Question authority.

Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2002 :  5:04:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
"I don't believe in god... I don't. You know who I believe in? Joe Pesci." -George Carlin
-J

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2002 :  8:12:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yeah...the world isn't gonna end anyTIMe soon. Like my dad said once "Humans are so ignorant to believe that they have the power to destroy the Earth. But they can only destroy themselves."

"I do what I can with what I've got."
Go to Top of Page

drummerboy82
Chatterbox

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2002 :  9:09:55 PM  Show Profile  Send drummerboy82 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
sorry guys, i shouldve been more clear. I was thinking more along the lines of the human race i guess, and how long it will take for us to drain this planet of it's resources...so basically, how long do you think it'll take the human race to self-destruct?

Temporaryism has been the black plague, and Jesus of our age -Incubus
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2002 :  11:03:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
What's with the negative view? And how would I know how long we will last? I think we will be here for as long as we are needed.

Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2002 :  11:47:04 PM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
i dont think anyone can actually answer that question

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2002 :  12:07:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
hehe.....exactly....

Go to Top of Page

drummerboy82
Chatterbox

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2002 :  12:02:33 PM  Show Profile  Send drummerboy82 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
im not looking for answers, just opinions, or theories you have. Sorry if this topic seems kind of dark, but i want to know what you think.

"Seems like people are the viruses
And earth is simply tired of us"-311-.
Go to Top of Page

{=HTG=}
Alien Abductee

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2002 :  8:26:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Some say the end is near. Some say we'll see armagedon soon. I certinaly hope we will. I could sure use a vacation from this bull. . .shit. . .three. . . .ring. . . .ccciiirrrcccuuuusss, side show!" TOOL.

Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2002 :  9:24:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Did you know that the answer to your question is just one of several variables in a mathematical formula known as Drake's Equation? L = the lifetime of a technically advanced civilisation

(reprinted w/o permission from http://www.u-net.com/ph/mas/cn/a-drake.htm)
In 1961 there was a conference held at the National Radio Astronomy Observatory in Green Bank, West Virginia, to discuss the question of a 'search for extraterrestrial life' (SETI). That gathering brought together a worldwide array of prominent astronomers and
'exobiologists'. The conference set out with the intention of attempting to quantify, by theoretical means, the number of technically advanced extraterrestrial civilsations within the galaxy.

The solution was an equation, now known as the Green Bank equation, though also widely referred to as the 'Drake equation' after Frank Drake the astronomer who proposed the core of the expression. The equation seeks to quantify the number, N, of technical civilisations in the galaxy.

N = (R*)(fp)(ne)(fl)(fi)(fc)L

R* = mean rate of star formation in the milky way, our local galaxy
fp = the fraction of those stars which form planetary systems
ne = the number of planets in those systems which are ecologically suitable for lifeforms to evolve
fl = the number of those planets on which lifeforms actually develop
fi = the number of those which evolve to an intelligent form
fc = the number of advanced intelligent lifeforms which develop the capability of interstellar radio communication
L = the lifetime of a technically advanced civilisation

I think there are more unknown values than known values in that equation. If you'd like to try out your own values, visit http://www.seds.org/~rme/drakeeqn.htm and do the calculation.

Hopefully at least one other person found this interesting...

teri

Did I mention that I finished a marathon?
Go to Top of Page

drummerboy82
Chatterbox

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2002 :  01:08:59 AM  Show Profile  Send drummerboy82 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
a mathmatical equation for how long the earth will last...interesting :)

"Seems like people are the viruses
And earth is simply tired of us"-311-.
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2002 :  08:26:05 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Leave it to the MIT grad. Glad to see my money went to good use. I love ya sis!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2002 :  1:44:46 PM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
awww isnt that nice.... unless its that down south ga family love... the kind sgwag has.... thats disturbing.

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2002 :  04:42:57 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
After all, someone else had to get the brains in the family......

....cause I got "the looks"!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2002 :  12:08:09 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
"Incest is the best. Put your sibling to the test."
-J

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2002 :  12:26:22 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
"Closer kin, deeper in."

-Jason-

If you had a neck and I had hands, I would squeeze your brain, which is your body, right out the top of your head, which does not exist!
Go to Top of Page

Fleabass76
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1026 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2002 :  10:47:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Fleabass76 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
There should be a rap song aboot inscest.

"People always tell you to color inside the lines, [but] who drew the lines in the first place? [Think about that.]" -Victor Wooten
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2002 :  02:28:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't be surprised if there already was one.

Go to Top of Page

MC
Try A Little Harder

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2002 :  03:52:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All this talk of mathematical formulas having a huge significance in the world reminds me of the movie Pi, from Aranofsky. Anyone seen it, I highly recommend it, its pretty good, makes you think. Its about a guy trying to find a special math formula to "solve" the stock market. I am a huge Aranofsky fan, Requiem for a Dream absolutely blows my mind.

It also reminds me of fractal geometry, some pretty sweet shit, you guys should check that out too. They make some cool artwork out of graphic representation of one of the formulas.

Both are some very cool stuff that would interest a TR fan (those with a certian intellectual capacity to comprehend and appreciate that which is artistically, emotionally, spiritually, and/or mentally advanced, love ya TR)

Matt Colecchi

"Turn it into love, man. Whatever's fucked up in the world, just turn it into love. Take in the bad and give out the good, otherwise we're all gonna die and go to hell." T.R.
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2002 :  05:31:22 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
pcbdmb said:
quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if there already was one.

You took the words right outta my mouth. I read that comment and was already to type the same thing when I read your response. Great minds think alike or is it Simple thoughts for simple minds? Either way, we think alike. SCARY!!!!!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2002 :  05:37:51 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey MC, My sis is a big fan of PI. I am sure she would love to shoot the shit with you about it if she ever gets her busy ass back here. She actually mentioned it in a past post that, coincidentally enuf, was about FRACTAL MUSIC. Go figure. Guess I find myself back at that Great minds think alike comment. Here is the link if you want to check out what was said.

http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=696

Keep watching for my sis, I am sure she would love to get into it with you about PI. Here screenname is Tericee. Oh and by the way, I can't wait to see Requiem for a Dream. I have been excited about seeing that for quite some time. Really wanted to see it in a theater but missed it. Guess I will have to settle for video(or DVD).

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2002 :  05:40:10 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey MC, I just realized that we had a topic about Requiem for a Dream as well. Here is the link to that if you want to check out the comments already laid out.

http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1039

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

MC
Try A Little Harder

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2002 :  09:50:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Fluffy, you gotta see Requiem, its VERY INTENSE but a brilliant movie. See it on DVD, it has some awesome extra effects and whatnot. I cant wait to see more from Aranofsky, I have heard that he is doing the next Batman movie, which is about Bruce Wayne when he was a child, they're not even calling it a prequel, (they gave it some other name i cant remember), it should be pretty interesting. Thanks again Fluffy.

Matt Colecchi

"Turn it into love, man. Whatever's fucked up in the world, just turn it into love. Take in the bad and give out the good, otherwise we're all gonna die and go to hell." T.R.
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2002 :  10:23:04 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
My pleasure, always glad to help. I sent my sister a link to this topic, I thought she might like to shoot the shit with you about PI. Hopefully she will chime in soon. Check back here at this post in the next few days.

Must see Requiem for a Dream

I gotta remember to rent that next time I am at the video store

sometimes repeating stuff helps me remember, you know, stuff like my name, etc etc etc

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2002 :  7:09:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You took the words right outta my mouth. I read that comment and was already to type the same thing when I read your response. Great minds think alike or is it Simple thoughts for simple minds? Either way, we think alike. SCARY!!!!!!

Nothing wrong with thinking alike! After all, I've had to cover for you for the last month since you weren't here.

quote:

I am sure she would love to shot the shit with you

And this one of the funniest things I have ever read!

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2002 :  05:22:09 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Always happy to bring a smile to your lips and chortle to your gut!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2002 :  05:23:29 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Woops, I meant to say "shoot the shit". I hope you weren't laughing at my erroneous typing. DOAH!!! Either way, glad I could make ya laugh!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2002 :  05:26:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Of course I was laughing at your erroneous typing.

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2002 :  08:06:09 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey wait a minute, YOU read it wrong. That is not even my quote you have attributed to me. YOU typed "shot the shit". I typed "shoot the shit" Copy and paste my friend, copy and paste. Especially when quoting. Now who's the foolio(used by permission)

Fluffy said(and I quote):
quote:
I thought she might like to shoot the shit with you about PI.

and
pcbdmb quoted me as saying:
quote:
I am sure she would love to shot the shit with you

DOAH!!!

My mistake, I just saw it was my other post you were quoting. Anyway, I went back and fixed it. So pretend you didn't read any of this.

OH WELL, WHATEVER, NEVERMIND

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2002 :  2:33:37 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I am confused... Did you change your mind midway through posting?
-J

Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2002 :  4:35:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
OH WELL, WHATEVER, NEVERMIND

Nice nirvana quote fluff.

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2002 :  12:00:41 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
No what happened was pcbdmb quoted me as saying "shot the shit" and when I looked back I looked at the wrong Fluffy post he was quoting from. In one I said "shoot the shit" and then in the next one I mistyped "shot the shit". When I started my comments to pcbdmb I had not noticed or remembered I had typed it in a second post as well. So when I discovered my error. I dropped it:
quote:
DOAH!!!

My mistake, I just saw it was my other post you were quoting. Anyway, I went back and fixed it. So pretend you didn't read any of this.

Then I went back and edited the erroneous mistake, and dropped the subject.

OH WELL, WHATEVER, NEVERMIND!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2002 :  12:24:52 AM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ah you went back and edited it... gotcha now.
-J

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2002 :  12:27:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Everyone got it? Good. OK...movin' on.......

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2002 :  01:21:45 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
"Big wheels rollin'
gotta keep 'em goin'
Big wheels rollin'
Movin' On!!"

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2002 :  10:29:27 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Rollin' in my 5 point 0 with my ragtop down so my hair can blow. Girlies on standby waiting just to say hi. didja stop? naw I just rolled by. kept on pursuing to the next stop

-Jason-

If you had a neck and I had hands, I would squeeze your brain, which is your body, right out the top of your head, which does not exist!
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2002 :  03:12:12 AM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Rollin' in my 5 point 0

Damn straight.
-J

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2002 :  06:07:58 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Is that higher than a 4 point O?

I thought a 4pointO average was the best you could get.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2002 :  09:38:05 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Maybe for you. Not for me and Silky in the Dirty Dirty.

-What-
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2002 :  8:33:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Not unless you take all AP and honors classes.

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2002 :  03:13:25 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ummmmmmm, sounds like alot of work, I will stick to the SHORT BUS!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2002 :  04:46:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yay!!! Short bus!!!!!

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2002 :  04:50:21 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I bet pcbdmb never misses the short bus!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2002 :  04:55:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Short bus! Short bus!

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2002 :  05:01:55 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Good quote for a man on the short bus!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2002 :  05:03:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
OOOOOOOOHHHHHHH YEAH!!!!!!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000