My theory on music lists ...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Black Lotus
Fluffy-Esque

Burkina Faso (Upper Volta)
1043 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2002 :  11:20:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Black Lotus's Homepage  Send Black Lotus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Another rant brought to you by the letter "B" and the number "12".

I find it a shame that music charts are based purely on sales. Sales that are determined by prepubesent kids that have no true knowledge of what good music and art really is.

Think about it .. who's always in the top 10? Brittany Spears, N*Suck, the Backstreet Boys, et all. Never do you see real talent there, well maybe once in a while. Dave Matthews for instance, his records hit the top ten for a week or so when they come out, then nothing. Tim Reynolds is another one, a true musician who gets no recognition on anything (maybe that's a blessing - main stream is retarted).

But if you really think about it, if those lists where based purely on talent who would REALLY be on them? Here's my picks, in no particular order:

Tim Reynolds
Dave Matthews
Tool
Les Claypool (whatever project he's working on)
Pearl Jam
Rage Against the Machine (or wherever Tom Morello is)
Bella Fleck (finally heard his stuff, it's amazing)
BB King
Eric Clapton
Satriani
Steve Vai
Ozzy (sorry, I really think he's a talented singer)

That's just to name a few off the top of my head, there are many other truely talented bands/artists that diserve more for their hard work and contribuition to music.

-----------
Trade my life for a barrel of gold.
Find someone else before I get too old.
If I live my life for aesthetic gain,
will you repay me with all your pain?

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2002 :  11:36:51 AM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Tru dat!
-J

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2002 :  6:28:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
But you have to come back to reality for a second. We all know mainstream sucks ass, and we know that that won't change. If it did, we would still be complaining that there are too many people on this message board so it wouldn't be fun anymore. Also, since we like Dave (which isn't that mainstream) and Tim (which is as far away from mainstream you can get), you feel a sense of superiority because your taste in music doesn't suck, making you more important. Being in the minority is better because then nothing bad can really happen. No one can fuck it up.

"I do what I can with what I've got."
Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2002 :  7:55:20 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i would have to say that LEs is the BEST bassist the world will ever know....listne to Tommy the CAt Live....he will blow you away. Vic Wooten, and Jaco Pastorious are awesome too, or WERE awesome...

Jay
My last name is confusing...It is Spelled Wiegand but is pronounced Weegend...another insult to the English language...
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2002 :  8:18:59 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
my bass player pissed his pants when he first heard victor wooten play. he claims to have spilt his soda.

when you think about it, mud is just wet dirt.
Go to Top of Page

Black Lotus
Fluffy-Esque

1043 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2002 :  9:27:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Black Lotus's Homepage  Send Black Lotus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'm not saying introduce them into the mainstream, but I think that true artists diserve more recognition. These fake pieces of shit can sod off and die.

-----------
Go to Top of Page

Xar666
Yak Addict

USA
546 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2002 :  10:18:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Dave (which isn't that mainstream)

Don't get me wrong, I love Dave Matthews's work. However, he is about as mainstream as one can get. BlackHawk Down, Ben & Jerry's etc...

-Xar666

I never really hated a one true god, but the god of the people I hated.
Go to Top of Page

diggin
Is Anybody Here?

22 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2002 :  12:34:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I understand what you're saying, but to be honest, I really can't think of a better way to make up a list like that. If the magazine people just picked whoever they liked the best, it wouldn't be much different than all these "who's your favorite band?" threads you see on message boards. The artists who are on the lists might suck, but at least there is a somewhat scientific process that went into making that list.

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2002 :  12:37:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yeah...ever since their last album, they have become outrageously mainstream. Sorry, i should have specified that I meant before Everyday. In my high school of 500 students, there were 3 (me included) that liked DMB.

"I do what I can with what I've got."
Go to Top of Page

Jason
Chatterbox

194 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2002 :  1:59:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is my humble opinion......I used to be all about the unkown artist, the ones that no one has ever heard of...the ones who could play their instrument like no other....you know what happened...I missed out on some pretty good music. Would we be having this thread if Tim was number 1 on the charts.....(he is number one to me and that is good enough for me) Everyone one in this music industry has some talent or they would not be there. Granted I think it's a shame that some artists don't write their own songs, but as most of us know...or let me just speak for myself...it is not always easy to just sit down and write a song. That is why there are song writers...I think everything and every one has their place in the industry and unfortunately "the package" is very important in our visual world so why not have some pretty boy up there getting "face" time while the unsung guys get to keep writing there songs and making their money? Like I said just my humble opinion...I might have gotten off topic a little and if I did I apologize.

Go to Top of Page

Black Lotus
Fluffy-Esque

1043 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2002 :  3:05:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Black Lotus's Homepage  Send Black Lotus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Dave (which isn't that mainstream)

Don't get me wrong, I love Dave Matthews's work. However, he is about as mainstream as one can get. BlackHawk Down, Ben & Jerry's etc...

-Xar666

I never really hated a one true god, but the god of the people I hated.

Not to mention the opening ceremony for the olympics this year ...

-----------
Go to Top of Page

Jamie M
Chatterbox

Canada
404 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2002 :  6:48:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had this exact same topic on my school message board last year. If it still existed I might have looked up a couple of posts for some good ones.

Exactly what diggin said...
What else do they have to base the charts on?? If they make it based on pure opinion, then there's just no way of narrowing it down from the opinions of whoever it is who decides. Then you're getting the opinion of some guy as opposed to "prepubesent kids that have no true knowledge of what good music and art really is"(I resent that by the way).
And sure, I agree with some of the bands you've got in that list, Lotus, but if that was the chart, I'd be going "who and what the hell is that!?!" to some of it. And so the fact is the charts are keeping the majority of the population happy, musical taste or not, and at least we can understand(to an extent) why the charts are what they are.
So I say, in conclusion, let them have their goddam charts, it just gives me better seats at the concert and less reading on the message board.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000