converting vhs to mpeg
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jenkins
Try A Little Harder

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2002 :  10:16:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit jenkins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i need some help, so i've decided to call on the infinite wisdom of the TR message boards.

so, im trying to convert VHS to MPEG. ive got the programs, ive got the capture device, and i know how to do the conversions properly, save for one thing:

initially, the capture has to be done in AVI, and then converted to mpeg. the problem is that windowsME won't let me create a file bigger than 3.99 gigs. so 3.99 gigs is captured (approx. 12 minutes) an then the capture fails. i do NOT want to split this up into small segments... how do i get around the 3.99 file size limit? any ideas? help!@#$!

free shit off my list to anyone who helps me...

-jenks

Black Lotus
Fluffy-Esque

Burkina Faso (Upper Volta)
1043 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2002 :  10:21:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Black Lotus's Homepage  Send Black Lotus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Reduce the viewable size of the movie. Perhaps lower the quality a bit as well. Get a better compression utility for video capturing, check out www.cnet.com and download one for free.

Dump windows ME because it sucks. Get Linux :)

-
Stonimal rights activist with a dented ass.
Go to Top of Page

Black Lotus
Fluffy-Esque

1043 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2002 :  10:21:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Black Lotus's Homepage  Send Black Lotus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Or ... to add to that, check out something called DivX - search the web for it. Or, talk to Xar about DivX.

-
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2002 :  10:25:56 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Or you can split it up into several smaller mpegs and then just use an mpeg joiner to make them into one large file.
-J

Go to Top of Page

Black Lotus
Fluffy-Esque

1043 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2002 :  10:01:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Black Lotus's Homepage  Send Black Lotus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Or you can split it up into several smaller mpegs and then just use an mpeg joiner to make them into one large file.
-J

Not if the joined file is greater than 4G - Windows can be so completely stupid sometimes.

-
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2002 :  11:36:18 AM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ah tru... any way to do it with a DOS program?
-J

Go to Top of Page

Xar666
Yak Addict

USA
546 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2002 :  11:38:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Normal AVI files have a maximum size limit of 2 gigs. You should use another codec( DixX is currently the most popular) to capture into AVI. You can then encode it into mpeg to make it even smaller. I have Xing for encoding to mpeg if you need it.

What kind of capture device s it? If it is ATI and you are using Win98 you can use their VCR codecs and then convert to mpeg.

What software are you using to capture with? You should use Virtual Dub..it is awesome and it is free.

http://www.virtualdub.org/index
http://www..divx.com

-Xar666

I never really hated a one true god, but the god of the people I hated.
Go to Top of Page

Black Lotus
Fluffy-Esque

1043 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2002 :  11:39:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Black Lotus's Homepage  Send Black Lotus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
No, Windows 98, 95, ME and NT 4.0 cannot address more than 4GB of RAM or a file larger than 4GB (it's something around 4-8GB,I don't remember exactly the number). It's physically impossible for the operating system to read all of it. If you somehow manage to do it in dos, the system will curl up and die as soon as it attempts to read the file.

Windows XP can handle files that are larger than that, but I'm not sure how large. Just to be safe, get XP Professional - XP Home Edition blows chunks.

-
Go to Top of Page

Xar666
Yak Addict

USA
546 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2002 :  12:03:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Size Limitations in NTFS and FAT File Systems
Each file system supports a maximum volume size, file size, and number of files per volume. Because FAT16 and FAT32 volumes are limited to 4 GB and 32 GB respectively, you must use NTFS to create volumes larger than 32 GB. If you use FAT16 or FAT32 in computers that start multiple operating systems, you must note the following size limitations:

FAT volumes smaller than 16 MB are formatted as FAT12.
FAT16 volumes larger than 2 GB are not accessible from computers running MS-DOS, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me, and many other operating systems. This limitation occurs because these operating systems do not support cluster sizes larger than 32 KB, which results in the 2 GB limit.
In theory, FAT32 volumes can be about 8 terabytes; however, the maximum FAT32 volume size that Windows XP Professional can format is 32 GB. Therefore, you must use NTFS to format volumes larger than 32 GB. However, Windows XP Professional can read and write to larger FAT32 volumes formatted by other operating systems.
If you create multidisk volumes such as spanned or striped volumes, the amount of space used on each disk is applied to the total size of the volume. Therefore, to create a multidisk volume that is larger than 32 GB, you must use NTFS.

Maximum Sizes on NTFS Volumes
In theory, the maximum NTFS volume size is 264 clusters minus 1 cluster. However, the maximum NTFS volume size as implemented in Windows XP Professional is 232 clusters minus 1 cluster. For example, using 64-KB clusters, the maximum NTFS volume size is 256 terabytes minus 64 KB. Using the default cluster size of 4 KB, the maximum NTFS volume size is 16 terabytes minus 4 KB.

Because partition tables on master boot record (MBR) disks only support partition sizes up to 2 terabytes, you must use dynamic volumes to create NTFS volumes over 2 terabytes. Windows XP Professional manages dynamic volumes in a special database instead of in the partition table, so dynamic volumes are not subject to the 2-terabyte physical limit imposed by the partition table. Therefore, dynamic NTFS volumes can be as large as the maximum volume size supported by NTFS. Itanium-based computers that use GUID partition table (GPT) disks also support NTFS volumes larger than 2 terabytes.

***Note***
If you use large numbers of files in an NTFS folder (300,000 or more), disable short-file name generation, especially if the first six characters of the long file names are similar. Table 13.5 lists NTFS size limits.

Table 13.5 NTFS Size Limits

Maximum Sizes on FAT32 Volumes
A FAT32 volume must have a minimum of 65,527 clusters. Windows XP Professional can format FAT32 volumes up to 32 GB, but it can mount larger FAT32 volumes created by other operating systems. Table 13.6 lists FAT32 size limits.

Table 13.6 FAT32 Size Limits

Maximum Sizes on FAT16 Volumes
FAT16 supports a maximum of 65,524 clusters per volume. Table 13.7 lists FAT16 size limits.

Table 13.7 FAT16 Size Limits

-Xar666

Go to Top of Page

jenkins
Try A Little Harder

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2002 :  3:02:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit jenkins's Homepage  Reply with Quote

its a dazzle external usb device.

well, ive got a couple different programs, one of which is virtualdub, which i have been pretty pleased with so far. i actually thought it was the answer to my issues, because it says in the documentation that it has the ability to capture in multi-segment AVI files (so, it would capture a 2gb capture.00,avi, then a 2 gb capture.01.avi, et cetera)... the problem is that i could not get it to work. it would capture 3.99 gb's and then the capture would crash because windows would hit its file size limit.. so i either need to get that to work, find some kind of work-around for the 4gb limit, or perhaps figure out if there's a way to capture real-time to mpeg (as opposed to raw avi.)

ive got a handful of videos that i need to convert without losing continuity (like concert videos and shit), so capturing 12 minutes at a time and trying to sync up a bunch of segments isn't the answer.

i even thought about sending the video to someone else so that they could convert it, but i would want to make a copy of the video for me to hang on to in case my original copy "walks off." not that anyone would do that. :)

i dont really want to make a copy of it, either, as vhs tapes lose quality over generations like casettes do.

curses, foiled again. :)

-jenks

quote:

Normal AVI files have a maximum size limit of 2 gigs. You should use another codec( DixX is currently the most popular) to capture into AVI. You can then encode it into mpeg to make it even smaller. I have Xing for encoding to mpeg if you need it.

What kind of capture device s it? If it is ATI and you are using Win98 you can use their VCR codecs and then convert to mpeg.

What software are you using to capture with? You should use Virtual Dub..it is awesome and it is free.

http://www.virtualdub.org/index
http://www..divx.com

-Xar666

Go to Top of Page

Black Lotus
Fluffy-Esque

1043 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2002 :  3:05:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Black Lotus's Homepage  Send Black Lotus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanbks for posting that Xar, I was going to fire up my msdn library and CNP the information but you beat me to it.

-
500 Club
Go to Top of Page

Xar666
Yak Addict

USA
546 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2002 :  4:22:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

its a dazzle external usb device.

well, ive got a couple different programs, one of which is virtualdub, which i have been pretty pleased with so far. i actually thought it was the answer to my issues, because it says in the documentation that it has the ability to capture in multi-segment AVI files (so, it would capture a 2gb capture.00,avi, then a 2 gb capture.01.avi, et cetera)... the problem is that i could not get it to work. it would capture 3.99 gb's and then the capture would crash because windows would hit its file size limit.. so i either need to get that to work, find some kind of work-around for the 4gb limit, or perhaps figure out if there's a way to capture real-time to mpeg (as opposed to raw avi.)

If you are using Virtual Dub, then install DivX and use that as your capture codec. You should have no problems. DivX has a crazy compression ratio. I have the entire Fellowship of the Ring DVD ripped to DivX and it is only 1.2 GB.

-Xar666

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000