Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Tablature / Guitar Setup
 Hybrid Picking?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kevin Posted - 10/25/2004 : 11:04:01 PM
Hey guys...I've heard a bit about Tim and hybrid picking; all I've heard is that Tim does it

This seems sorta simple to get, but I wanted to ask you guys just so I was 100% on it . The only place that I've heard of hybrid picking being used (for sure) is in Stream. I don't know what part of the song he does it, but I assume it's the little run up before he hits the harmonic?

---0---0---0---0---
-----3---3-------6-
-1-----------3-----
-------------------
-------------------
------------------- etc

Correct? I would think he picks the G and B with the pick, and uses his middle finger to get the open E? That at least seems to be the most logical way. Just so you all know, I'm not a real n00b to guitar and all that lol, even though this is a very n00bish question. I've been playing bass for a couple of years, and just recently have picked up the acoustic as well. Thanks guys
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Zachmozach Posted - 11/01/2004 : 11:14:50 PM
quote:
Originally posted by dan p.

haha. g string. it never gets old.

Best one is when I saw Mike Marshall and Chris thile and they did a tune on their mandolins called error on the g-string. They said since the mandolin was already limited in range they decided to limit it more and so they picked everyone's favorite string... the g-string.
dan p. Posted - 11/01/2004 : 6:08:42 PM
i don't think there's a better or worse way to do thi part. hybrid picking just seemed a little unnecessary when i tried it.
JTR Posted - 11/01/2004 : 04:23:17 AM
I could never do that particular pattern of picking for an improv or anything randomly, but because I focused on playing that part of the song with only pick back in the day, that's just how I do it now. I tried to incorporate hybrid picking there about a year ago, but it was just awkward at the time. The hybrid picking is much more practical in the larger context, but I just can't/don't do it there.
dan p. Posted - 10/31/2004 : 9:56:32 PM
in this case it'd probably be easier to alternate. upstroke for b string notes, downstroke for e string notes, downstroke for g string notes. haha. g string. it never gets old.
Silky The Pimp Posted - 10/31/2004 : 9:20:23 PM
quote:
To those of you who can straight pick that... I'm in awe.

I second that. Do you guys alternate each note or just strum over the two together?
Jamie M Posted - 10/31/2004 : 3:40:14 PM
Tim definitely hybrid picks that part, I've seen it ridiculously close up in one video, and I don't see why he wouldn't consistently play the same way.
To those of you who can straight pick that... I'm in awe.
JTR Posted - 10/27/2004 : 7:06:43 PM
Hard to tell, but it does appear on some of the videos, like the Lory video, that he is hybrid picking that part of the song. But, I too, just "normally" pick that part.
GuitarGuy305 Posted - 10/27/2004 : 3:21:31 PM
Hybrid picking is usually similar to fingerpicking, except using a pick for the bottom 3 strings rather than your thumbs. For that part in Stream, I just use the pick to pick those notes, and I'm pretty sure Tim does the same thing.

Adam
dan p. Posted - 10/27/2004 : 2:53:56 PM
you could hybrid pick for that, but it'd be impractical.
theprik Posted - 10/27/2004 : 01:46:39 AM
thats basically string skipping man

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000