New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kevin
Chatterbox

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2004 :  11:04:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys...I've heard a bit about Tim and hybrid picking; all I've heard is that Tim does it

This seems sorta simple to get, but I wanted to ask you guys just so I was 100% on it . The only place that I've heard of hybrid picking being used (for sure) is in Stream. I don't know what part of the song he does it, but I assume it's the little run up before he hits the harmonic?

---0---0---0---0---
-----3---3-------6-
-1-----------3-----
-------------------
-------------------
------------------- etc

Correct? I would think he picks the G and B with the pick, and uses his middle finger to get the open E? That at least seems to be the most logical way. Just so you all know, I'm not a real n00b to guitar and all that lol, even though this is a very n00bish question. I've been playing bass for a couple of years, and just recently have picked up the acoustic as well. Thanks guys

theprik
Is Anybody Here?

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2004 :  01:46:39 AM  Show Profile  Send theprik an AOL message  Reply with Quote
thats basically string skipping man

good music is good music, and that should be enough for anybody
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2004 :  2:53:56 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
you could hybrid pick for that, but it'd be impractical.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2004 :  3:21:31 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hybrid picking is usually similar to fingerpicking, except using a pick for the bottom 3 strings rather than your thumbs. For that part in Stream, I just use the pick to pick those notes, and I'm pretty sure Tim does the same thing.

Adam
Go to Top of Page

JTR
Chatterbox

417 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2004 :  7:06:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hard to tell, but it does appear on some of the videos, like the Lory video, that he is hybrid picking that part of the song. But, I too, just "normally" pick that part.
Go to Top of Page

Jamie M
Chatterbox

Canada
404 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2004 :  3:40:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim definitely hybrid picks that part, I've seen it ridiculously close up in one video, and I don't see why he wouldn't consistently play the same way.
To those of you who can straight pick that... I'm in awe.
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2004 :  9:20:23 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
To those of you who can straight pick that... I'm in awe.

I second that. Do you guys alternate each note or just strum over the two together?

Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2004 :  9:56:32 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
in this case it'd probably be easier to alternate. upstroke for b string notes, downstroke for e string notes, downstroke for g string notes. haha. g string. it never gets old.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

JTR
Chatterbox

417 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2004 :  04:23:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I could never do that particular pattern of picking for an improv or anything randomly, but because I focused on playing that part of the song with only pick back in the day, that's just how I do it now. I tried to incorporate hybrid picking there about a year ago, but it was just awkward at the time. The hybrid picking is much more practical in the larger context, but I just can't/don't do it there.
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2004 :  6:08:42 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i don't think there's a better or worse way to do thi part. hybrid picking just seemed a little unnecessary when i tried it.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Zachmozach
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1534 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2004 :  11:14:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dan p.

haha. g string. it never gets old.

Best one is when I saw Mike Marshall and Chris thile and they did a tune on their mandolins called error on the g-string. They said since the mandolin was already limited in range they decided to limit it more and so they picked everyone's favorite string... the g-string.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000