Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Tablature / Guitar Setup
 Improving Guitar Technique

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
joojoo Posted - 04/29/2003 : 1:43:34 PM
I think I have most of the theory/knowledge stuff down, so this is what I think is left for me to accomplish:

Good Rhythm - My right hand is retarded
Good Lead - my left hand is pretty good, but I can't alternate pick
Good fingerstyle - Feeling Doors, Stranger in a Strained Land, etc.
Slap - kind of a category of it's own, Tim's right thumb on low strings

I have speed mechanics for lead guitar, and it's helping, but I'm taking suggestions from everyone on any one or all of these facets of guitar playing. I'll do whatever. Testimonials a plus.
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Zack Posted - 05/13/2003 : 5:55:43 PM
Learn all about octave patterns...5ths, 3rds, ect. Know them inside and out. They are key for creating a group of different chops (like tim creates) that when put together, make sense.
Poparad Posted - 05/07/2003 : 05:24:47 AM
I was playing bass for a friend's group for a few weeks once and during one of the rehersals, the drummer and I were talking about Dave (big Carter fan) and we started playing that... then I realized how hard that riff is on bass. I don't have very big hands so it was a lot of fast stretching and shifting. Yikes!
CPPJames Posted - 05/07/2003 : 12:21:25 AM
I was under the impression that he picked satellite as well. I have always picked it. He seems pretty pick heavy to me. When I caught on that Satellite is basically just an Ab major scale in an order that sounds pleasant, it made it easier for me and now it's a cakewalk.
Poparad Posted - 05/07/2003 : 12:10:10 AM
Hmmm, I thought he picked satellite... I do atleast.
captain_napkins Posted - 05/05/2003 : 10:11:17 PM
for fingerstyle i'm going to have to recommend Satellite by Dave Matthews Band. There are videos around online so you can see the way that HE plays it. There are a lot of dumb ways people might show you to play it that don't really do anything for your fingerstyle, so ignore those. I literally sat in my room for 4 hours a day during the entire summer 2002 working on the riff for this song and I still had troubles afterwards, but when I finally nailed it I could do pretty much anything else.

There's my advice..
Poparad Posted - 05/01/2003 : 8:26:42 PM
quote:
basic classical/ragtime pickin

What do you mean by ragtime picking? To my knowledge ragtime is predominantly banjo which is usually a strumming situation. Any particular tunes you're referring to?
Arthur Posted - 05/01/2003 : 7:17:55 PM
Good rhythm-get a metronome, play with slow settings, get your rhythm really in the pocket-slow is good

Alternate picking again slow with metronome, major scales+pentatonics, sequence the scales to avoid boredom. you'll get it if you are strict with yourself, but be patient, slow is good, speed will come

Fingerstyle-get some basic classical/ragtime pickin down, transcriptions are easy to find, use thumb for all bass notes on downbeat, use metronome

Slap, try Slap Technique 4 guitar published by MI-general approach and should do ya. Bought it myself, loads of ideas to be had, feels good too.

Read Zen Guitar by Phillip Toshio Sudo-therein lies the way
Good luck my man.
JTR Posted - 04/30/2003 : 12:03:18 AM
I think the best advice anyone can give is one that you're probably expecting: practice.

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000