Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 Help! Music Sucks.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Dalin Posted - 11/20/2005 : 12:51:47 AM
I am in desperate need of recommendations for music. I'm having a hard time wading through the loads and loads and loads and loads of crap out there. To give you an idea of what I'm looking for, here's some bands/musicians I've been listening to lately (or recently found out about), but I'm very open at this point:
Muse, Polyphonic Spree, My Morning Jacket, Michael Hedges, Ray LaMontagne, The Flaming Lips, Slipknot, TR, Dredg, & Fionna Apple.

Any recommendations . . . ? A brief description of genre or style would be helpful too.
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
PJK Posted - 11/21/2005 : 6:09:07 PM
Keith Jarret is awesome, saw him perform once and was blown away.

Anything with Jaco Pastorius.

Soko "TWO" email me your snail mail addy and I will send you a copy.
guitarisPIMP Posted - 11/21/2005 : 5:38:04 PM
***Artist - Album***
Martin Taylor - Artistry(yeah i nkow the name is eerie, but he's phenomenal)Solo acoustic jazz, might as well be a fucking flamenco master the way he fingerpicks
Keith Jarrett - The Koln Concert
Keith Jarrett - The Vienna Concert(both consisting entirely of free improv piano)
Erik Satie - (no real albums, but beautiful classical check out gnossiennes 1-6, gymnopedies 1-3, Nocturnes 1-3)
Frank Vignola - Blues for a Gypsy (Solo acoustic jazz, frank's a jazz giant)
Immortal Technique - Revolutionary Vol. 1 & 2 (i hate hip-hop, but this is incredible i love this guy)
Ralph Towner - Diary(very not contemporary jazz and very interesting composition)
Raul Midon - (any live show on archive.org)Picture Ray Charles reincarnated as a guitarist who could play percussion and chord progressions simultaneously, and gained the ability to make trumpet-like sounds with his mouth, and thats what you get.
Shakti - A Handful of Beauty(a fusion of indian music and jazz, will blow your mind)
Mahavishnu Orchestra - My Goals Beyond(Most of the album is John Mclaughlin being GOD at guitar, and then the last two songs are some kickass jams for Peaceee)

Basically, I saw you had michael hedges so I know you'll appreciate solo acoustic guitar(alot of that in there), and most of that music is some real incredibly talented stuff.
Arthen Posted - 11/20/2005 : 04:36:36 AM
Here we go:

Peter Gabriel - First of all, TR covers him, both electrically and acoustically, so that speaks volumes about the man and his work. It's a mix of prog rock/world music/rock/etc depending on the album. He isn't for everyone but check him out.

Chris Whitley - Is like TR but more lyrically based. Does completely different styles of music from solo acoustic to hard rock to acoustic jazz sounding stuff to well layered beautiful rock. A number of us here love this man, and more than ever check out his stuff.

That's all I feel like typing up right now.

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000