Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 Looking for Good Acoustic/Electric

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
34AntsMarchinonGreyStreet Posted - 11/24/2002 : 12:04:23 AM
Until Yesterday I was gonna go with an Ovation guitar, but then i did some research and found HORROR STORIES and stuff like that. So, I'm turning to ya'll for advice, I've been looking around and all, but i def think this is a good place to get advice.
Peace
24   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Fleabass76 Posted - 11/27/2002 : 11:56:27 PM
Maybe I should have added that when we recorded the Chet was just plugged into a Direct box and not an amp. The strings were probably old too...and now to use my all purpose cop out: I'm just a bass player.
GuitarGuy305 Posted - 11/27/2002 : 10:34:32 PM
I personally have never liked Ovations, and for the money, I think you could do better.

I totally agree with a Martin D-16RGTE. I have a D-16RGT and I fucking love it. It's not an A/E, but I usually mic it anyway, which leads me to my next point.

I have a Gibson Chet Atkins SST, and it SUCKS ASS for recording. But it kicks ass plugged into an amp, and at shows. If you plug it into a multitrack, even though a mixer or DI, it sounds like an acoustic/electric plugged in. Let's not confuse the sound of the Chet SST plugged into a multitrack with any other A/E. Many A/E guitars sound bad when plugged in to record. IMHO the only way to record acoustic guitar is to mic it with a condenser.

I didn't think it sounded tinny and thin plugged in for recording though, I thought it was too bassy and just too much of an "in your face" sound. I do like it for acoustic shows though, but like I said I ususally mic my D-16RGT.

Adam
enthuTIMsiast Posted - 11/26/2002 : 9:07:51 PM
American Music
Chris B Music
Guitar Trader
Musicians Friend
Zzounds

Just to get you started.
34AntsMarchinonGreyStreet Posted - 11/26/2002 : 7:13:40 PM
Austin is 9 hours away, so I'd probably go to houston or san antonio. I live in extreme south texas. prsmartin where can i check out those places on the web?
Silky The Pimp Posted - 11/26/2002 : 12:26:42 PM
Oh but no feedback... hump the no feedback... hump it good.
Fleabass76 Posted - 11/26/2002 : 11:33:22 AM
A side note on the Chet Atkins-It's definitely an acoustic/electric. It's a great acoustic for live shows where it can be amplified, but as far as recording or small acoustic shows, it's pure acoustic tone is pretty crappy imho. One of the guitar players in my band plays one and when we did the initial tracking he played that because we knew we weren't going to keep his tracks, but even on the rough playbacks it made us cringe since the tone was so tinny and thin. But then when he re-recorded he used this bigass Gibson dreadnaught thing that sounded schweet. Anyway, yeah......
Fluffy Posted - 11/26/2002 : 10:10:46 AM
Yes Tericee, it does. As for the Ovation, keep in mind I personally know very little about guitars and just go on what I am told, Peter Prince had nothing but bad things to say about his Ovation. I always thought it sounded nice, but PP says it wasn't a very well made guitar. His had 2 cracks on it and he took really good care of his guitar. He had problems with it the first TIMe it cracked and has said he would never buy another one. Which brings me to my sideline comments, notice I said "he TOOK really good care of it". Unfortunately, PP has followed suit and was robbed after the Tampa show. They got his guitar, all his pedals and even his moonboots. Luckily, his friend Johnny Trauma had joined him on the road for the last few shows and supplied Peter with the much needed guitar so he could finish the tour. Peter, like us, is trying to look at it in the most positive light. He says he would have never actually gone out and replaced the Ovation he was so unhappy with because of finacial reasons, but now he must replace it so he will probably end up alot happier in the long run with his new guitar that he is now forced to buy.

tericee Posted - 11/26/2002 : 04:38:38 AM
Does that stand for Stevie Ray Vaughan?
Silky The Pimp Posted - 11/26/2002 : 01:55:37 AM
I love Texas... what a kickass state. The SRV memorial in Austin is so cool.
tericee Posted - 11/26/2002 : 12:27:54 AM
I would think Austin would be the best place to buy a guitar -- in Texas, anyway. Are you North or South of Houston/San Antonio? Is Austin WAY farther away?
prsmartin Posted - 11/25/2002 : 11:20:47 PM
First of all, I used to be a manager at Guitar Center. They recently bought out Musician's Friend so the best thing to do since you're so far away would be to order one from them.

For <$1100 I would strongly recommend the beautiful Martin DC-16RGTE
Its a dreadnought, cutaway, w/onboard FISHMAN EQ, gloss top, and its ROSEWOOD!!! Mmmm...

Once you play any Martin really, its an instantaneous orgasm. Really. I'm sure Tim would agree (to some extent of my exaggeration).
34AntsMarchinonGreyStreet Posted - 11/25/2002 : 10:29:48 PM
I think i might just make a weekend out of a trip down to San antonio or Houston or something and checkin out the Guitars there.
Silky The Pimp Posted - 11/25/2002 : 2:27:15 PM
34antsmarchingon-whatever... haha... that's one long ass name.
If you ABSOLUTELY cannot drive to play a few guitars, maybe just do your best to describe what you're looking for as far as tone/looks/features etc. goes. Get as detailed as possible... I'm sure we can probably narrow down the guitars you might want to look at. I know I certainly wouldn't lay quite that much trust in others opinions on such a personal thing, especially when it comes to a $1000+ purchase, but if that's the way it has to be, I'm sure we can at least steer you in the right direction.
crash258 Posted - 11/24/2002 : 6:23:55 PM
I have had my bit with Ovation guitars, but.
Peter Prince, Tim's opening act, plays an Ovation and he makes it sound just fine.

I own a Gibson Chet Atkins SST, Its a solid instrument.
Make sure you have an acoustic amp, if you go that route.

peace,
philip
tericee Posted - 11/24/2002 : 5:34:04 PM
Could you visit one of those big cities 3.5 hours away and make a weekend out of it? From what these guys are saying, buying a guitar over the Internet is like buying shoes. You really need to be able to try it out first.
34AntsMarchinonGreyStreet Posted - 11/24/2002 : 5:09:35 PM
Max 1100 or so...
Silky The Pimp Posted - 11/24/2002 : 4:28:01 PM
Damn... I don't know if that's the sort of thing that you can buy without trying it out first. What kind of $$ are you looking to spend?
pcbTIM Posted - 11/24/2002 : 3:21:15 PM
Wow.....that really sucks. Ummmm......I guess you could buy one at ebay.....but I would be pretty careful about who you buy it from, you know, make sure he/she has a good rating. I know of a few others, but I don't have my laptop with me.....
34AntsMarchinonGreyStreet Posted - 11/24/2002 : 2:14:38 PM
I live in a shitty town with no real guitar shop closer than 3.5 hours. there goes that idea.
Silky The Pimp Posted - 11/24/2002 : 09:30:30 AM
I'd go to a store and play them before buying site unseen. If you aren't interested in playing unplugged, you can always look at a Gibson Chet Atkins SST.
34AntsMarchinonGreyStreet Posted - 11/24/2002 : 01:33:45 AM
Any particular sites you reccomend for buying one of these?
Silky The Pimp Posted - 11/24/2002 : 01:18:26 AM
Any Taylor with the ending -ce on it. Ovations suck ass unplugged... get a real guitar so you can play it without having to be attached to an amp.
34AntsMarchinonGreyStreet Posted - 11/24/2002 : 01:14:26 AM
Grrr maybe I should say Acoustic-Electric my bad.
tericee Posted - 11/24/2002 : 12:47:27 AM
Until somebody posts some answers, you might find the following threads useful:

http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=160
http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1571
http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1602
http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=282

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000