Looking for Good Acoustic/Electric
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

34AntsMarchinonGreyStreet
Is Anybody Here?

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2002 :  12:04:23 AM  Show Profile  Send 34AntsMarchinonGreyStreet an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Until Yesterday I was gonna go with an Ovation guitar, but then i did some research and found HORROR STORIES and stuff like that. So, I'm turning to ya'll for advice, I've been looking around and all, but i def think this is a good place to get advice.
Peace

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2002 :  12:47:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Until somebody posts some answers, you might find the following threads useful:

http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=160
http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1571
http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1602
http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=282
Go to Top of Page

Is Anybody Here?

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2002 :  01:14:26 AM  Show Profile  Send 34AntsMarchinonGreyStreet an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Grrr maybe I should say Acoustic-Electric my bad.
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2002 :  01:18:26 AM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Any Taylor with the ending -ce on it. Ovations suck ass unplugged... get a real guitar so you can play it without having to be attached to an amp.

Go to Top of Page

Is Anybody Here?

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2002 :  01:33:45 AM  Show Profile  Send 34AntsMarchinonGreyStreet an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Any particular sites you reccomend for buying one of these?
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2002 :  09:30:30 AM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'd go to a store and play them before buying site unseen. If you aren't interested in playing unplugged, you can always look at a Gibson Chet Atkins SST.

Go to Top of Page

Is Anybody Here?

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2002 :  2:14:38 PM  Show Profile  Send 34AntsMarchinonGreyStreet an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I live in a shitty town with no real guitar shop closer than 3.5 hours. there goes that idea.
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2002 :  3:21:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Wow.....that really sucks. Ummmm......I guess you could buy one at ebay.....but I would be pretty careful about who you buy it from, you know, make sure he/she has a good rating. I know of a few others, but I don't have my laptop with me.....

Gay marriage killed the dinosaurs.
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2002 :  4:28:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Damn... I don't know if that's the sort of thing that you can buy without trying it out first. What kind of $$ are you looking to spend?

Go to Top of Page

Is Anybody Here?

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2002 :  5:09:35 PM  Show Profile  Send 34AntsMarchinonGreyStreet an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Max 1100 or so...
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2002 :  5:34:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Could you visit one of those big cities 3.5 hours away and make a weekend out of it? From what these guys are saying, buying a guitar over the Internet is like buying shoes. You really need to be able to try it out first.

teri
Twittering about the DC adventure since Dec '09...
(Micro)Blog * Photo Album
Go to Top of Page

crash258
Chatterbox

USA
256 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2002 :  6:23:55 PM  Show Profile  Send crash258 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I have had my bit with Ovation guitars, but.
Peter Prince, Tim's opening act, plays an Ovation and he makes it sound just fine.

I own a Gibson Chet Atkins SST, Its a solid instrument.
Make sure you have an acoustic amp, if you go that route.

peace,
philip
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2002 :  2:27:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
34antsmarchingon-whatever... haha... that's one long ass name.
If you ABSOLUTELY cannot drive to play a few guitars, maybe just do your best to describe what you're looking for as far as tone/looks/features etc. goes. Get as detailed as possible... I'm sure we can probably narrow down the guitars you might want to look at. I know I certainly wouldn't lay quite that much trust in others opinions on such a personal thing, especially when it comes to a $1000+ purchase, but if that's the way it has to be, I'm sure we can at least steer you in the right direction.

Go to Top of Page

Is Anybody Here?

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2002 :  10:29:48 PM  Show Profile  Send 34AntsMarchinonGreyStreet an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I think i might just make a weekend out of a trip down to San antonio or Houston or something and checkin out the Guitars there.
Go to Top of Page

prsmartin
Yak Addict

USA
547 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2002 :  11:20:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit prsmartin's Homepage  Send prsmartin an AOL message  Reply with Quote
First of all, I used to be a manager at Guitar Center. They recently bought out Musician's Friend so the best thing to do since you're so far away would be to order one from them.

For <$1100 I would strongly recommend the beautiful Martin DC-16RGTE
Its a dreadnought, cutaway, w/onboard FISHMAN EQ, gloss top, and its ROSEWOOD!!! Mmmm...

Once you play any Martin really, its an instantaneous orgasm. Really. I'm sure Tim would agree (to some extent of my exaggeration).

FTP INFORMATION:
69.171.44.51 - Port 21
User - tim
Password - reynolds
http://www.timreynolds.com/torrents
timreynoldsftp@hotmail.com
Peace...
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2002 :  12:27:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I would think Austin would be the best place to buy a guitar -- in Texas, anyway. Are you North or South of Houston/San Antonio? Is Austin WAY farther away?

teri
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2002 :  01:55:37 AM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I love Texas... what a kickass state. The SRV memorial in Austin is so cool.

Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2002 :  04:38:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Does that stand for Stevie Ray Vaughan?

teri
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2002 :  10:10:46 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yes Tericee, it does. As for the Ovation, keep in mind I personally know very little about guitars and just go on what I am told, Peter Prince had nothing but bad things to say about his Ovation. I always thought it sounded nice, but PP says it wasn't a very well made guitar. His had 2 cracks on it and he took really good care of his guitar. He had problems with it the first TIMe it cracked and has said he would never buy another one. Which brings me to my sideline comments, notice I said "he TOOK really good care of it". Unfortunately, PP has followed suit and was robbed after the Tampa show. They got his guitar, all his pedals and even his moonboots. Luckily, his friend Johnny Trauma had joined him on the road for the last few shows and supplied Peter with the much needed guitar so he could finish the tour. Peter, like us, is trying to look at it in the most positive light. He says he would have never actually gone out and replaced the Ovation he was so unhappy with because of finacial reasons, but now he must replace it so he will probably end up alot happier in the long run with his new guitar that he is now forced to buy.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

Fleabass76
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1026 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2002 :  11:33:22 AM  Show Profile  Send Fleabass76 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
A side note on the Chet Atkins-It's definitely an acoustic/electric. It's a great acoustic for live shows where it can be amplified, but as far as recording or small acoustic shows, it's pure acoustic tone is pretty crappy imho. One of the guitar players in my band plays one and when we did the initial tracking he played that because we knew we weren't going to keep his tracks, but even on the rough playbacks it made us cringe since the tone was so tinny and thin. But then when he re-recorded he used this bigass Gibson dreadnaught thing that sounded schweet. Anyway, yeah......

Robots are the enemy? Hmm...
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2002 :  12:26:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Oh but no feedback... hump the no feedback... hump it good.

Go to Top of Page

Is Anybody Here?

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2002 :  7:13:40 PM  Show Profile  Send 34AntsMarchinonGreyStreet an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Austin is 9 hours away, so I'd probably go to houston or san antonio. I live in extreme south texas. prsmartin where can i check out those places on the web?
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2002 :  9:07:51 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
American Music
Chris B Music
Guitar Trader
Musicians Friend
Zzounds

Just to get you started.

Tim Reynolds Downloads
I am not the albatross of love, I am the human ellipsis. I am dot dot dot. - Leo Kottke

I hate beating people over the head with anything. We can all make up our own minds. What we don’t have is enough music. More music please. - Leo Kottke
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2002 :  10:34:32 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I personally have never liked Ovations, and for the money, I think you could do better.

I totally agree with a Martin D-16RGTE. I have a D-16RGT and I fucking love it. It's not an A/E, but I usually mic it anyway, which leads me to my next point.

I have a Gibson Chet Atkins SST, and it SUCKS ASS for recording. But it kicks ass plugged into an amp, and at shows. If you plug it into a multitrack, even though a mixer or DI, it sounds like an acoustic/electric plugged in. Let's not confuse the sound of the Chet SST plugged into a multitrack with any other A/E. Many A/E guitars sound bad when plugged in to record. IMHO the only way to record acoustic guitar is to mic it with a condenser.

I didn't think it sounded tinny and thin plugged in for recording though, I thought it was too bassy and just too much of an "in your face" sound. I do like it for acoustic shows though, but like I said I ususally mic my D-16RGT.

Adam
Go to Top of Page

Fleabass76
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1026 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2002 :  11:56:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Fleabass76 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Maybe I should have added that when we recorded the Chet was just plugged into a Direct box and not an amp. The strings were probably old too...and now to use my all purpose cop out: I'm just a bass player.

Robots are the enemy? Hmm...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000