New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2001 :  12:34:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You should definitely try to get through the Silmarillion! I have a friend who bugs me about checking out Enders, but I've been reading that new Goodkind series. Also I just read Fight Club and it rocked!

Keep tapin and tradin.

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2001 :  12:57:17 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'm about halfway thru as it is. I generally finish any book I start (save War and Peace) so I'll just have to give it time. Maybe tonight I'll knock some of it out.

Ender's Game is a really easy read. I've done it in a day, no problem. Of course, like I said, I've read it 4 times, so it's not as hard. But its really written on an easy reading level, but is is simply a fabulous book. I have to say that Ender's Shadow is probably *technically* a better book, but I kinda discovered Ender's Game for myself back in the day, so I always enjoy it more.

I saw Fight Club and that's enough for me. If I watch the movie, I tend not to read the book, but if I read the book, then I like to watch the movie. Like Contact (Carl Sagan). As in most cases, the book was much much better. Same with Dune.

-Jason-

Go to Top of Page

Erich with an h
Yak Addict

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2001 :  06:57:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Erich with an h's Homepage  Send Erich with an h an AOL message  Reply with Quote
fight club seems to be a deeper book than the movie, a little weirder. lines like "Get me pregnant tyler, i want to have your abortion" are missing from the movie.

Im still reading enders game. good shit :)

Erich w/ an h
Erichwanh@yahoo.com
The Tim Reynolds Tour and Recording Database
Go to Top of Page

Xar666
Yak Addict

USA
546 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2001 :  07:29:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"I wanna have your abortion."

That was originally in the movie, but was later replaced with
"I haven’t been fucked like that since grade school" because the creators (Not Fincher, Pitt or Norton) thought the former was too harsh.

I saw the movie first and read the book after. Erich was right; the book is deeper and has a better ending. However, the movie was a damn good translation. I loved both.

-Xar666

We're going to Vegas to croak a scag baron named Savage Henry. I've known him for years but he ripped us off. And you know what that means...
Go to Top of Page

Isaac
Chatterbox

USA
461 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2001 :  09:57:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah I was gonna say, the "I wanna have your abortion" is one of the deleated scenes on the DVD version.

Isaac

"Father up above, why in all this hatred do ya fill me up with Love, Love Love..."
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2001 :  10:08:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And there is much more foreshadowing of the ending in the novel, lines like "I know this because Tyler knows this." I also like how they start on the building, and it gets really freaky.
Ok, now whose seen Snatch? One of the best and funniest movies I have seen!

Keep tapin and tradin.
Go to Top of Page

Isaac
Chatterbox

USA
461 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2001 :  10:11:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just saw Snatch recently. Before that i'd had just about every one of my friends telling me that it was the best movie they'd ever seen, so I had some huge expectations built up.

I saw it once and thought it was damn good, and after a second viewing (i probably caught 30% more of the dialogue) I was absolutly in love. Its hard for a movie to live up to those kinds of expectations, especially when the viewer is as jaded as I (i see a lot of movies, i'm reluctant to give a solit thumbs up).

Anyway yeah great flix, I'm dying to get out and rent Lock Stock and 2 Smokin Barrels to get some more Guy Richie exposure, that guy's a genius.

Isaac

"Father up above, why in all this hatred do ya fill me up with Love, Love Love..."
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2001 :  12:10:29 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Karma has kept me from seeing Snatch. But soon, soon. I've heard it is one of the best movies out there too.

-Jason-

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2002 :  3:53:13 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Turns oot that I didn't like Snatch all that much, anyway. It was ok, but only ok. Not great. And I'm about 3/4 thru Silmarillion now, and it's not getting any better. Maybe someday I'll look back with fond memories, but I wouldn't count on that. I'll just be glad to finally get it off my nightstand and put it on my shelf.

-Jason-

If you had a neck and I had hands, I would squeeze your brain, which is your body, right out the top of your head, which does not exist!
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2002 :  8:41:15 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
the silmarillion is definately like reading a textbook. but unfinished tales is a big help in understanding a lot of what was goin through the minds of the characters and clears a lot of unexplained stuff up.

when you think about it, mud is just wet dirt.
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2002 :  02:26:37 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
To me it's like the Old Testament. Names and names and names of people whose names aren't anything like the names we have now, so they are hard to remember and harder to associate with what they were known for. I just can't dig it.

-Jason-

If you had a neck and I had hands, I would squeeze your brain, which is your body, right out the top of your head, which does not exist!
Go to Top of Page

RooX
Is Anybody Here?

3 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2002 :  2:06:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
good reads: the hitchjikers guide to the galaxy by douglas adams... great read! and now you can get a version with all of his hitchhikers series (the restaruant at the end of the universe, so long, thanks for all the fish, and life the universe and everything) as well as two other stories by him.. an excellent read that is hard to put down. ohh yeah, and Lock, stock and two smoking barrels is way better than snatch.
cheers

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2002 :  9:46:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Lock, Stock and 2 Smoking Barrels was WAY BETTER than Snatch. Although I enjoy Snatch as well, but LSa2SB was AWESOME. Oh and EnthuTIMsiast, I am right there with you on the whole use of not-so-common-names thing. I think I commented on that in the LOTR thread. That was what was so confusing in that for me. Keeping track of all the characters and those names.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Erich with an h
Yak Addict

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2002 :  9:48:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Erich with an h's Homepage  Send Erich with an h an AOL message  Reply with Quote
speaking of Douglas Adams, he just passed away recently. What a shame, he was an increadible author... and he also named the Pink Floyd album the Division Bell, check in the liner notes and you'll see him

Erich w/ an h
Erichwanh@yahoo.com
The Tim Reynolds Tour and Recording Database
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2002 :  11:16:11 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Never knew that, you learn something new everyday! Thanx EWaH

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2002 :  12:15:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

and now you can get a version with all of his hitchhikers series (the restaruant at the end of the universe, so long, thanks for all the fish, and life the universe and everything)

I thought Mostly Harmless was the fifth book in the trilogy.

"I do what I can with what I've got."
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2002 :  12:23:29 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I just love that there is a 5th book in the Trilogy!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2002 :  12:46:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
But the best caption was for the fourth book. The trilogy continues!

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2002 :  03:24:23 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
It would be even funnier if the 5th book was captioned, "Here is the 5th book and with this the Trilogy Ends!"

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2002 :  10:53:39 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Easier to just plan on 5 books, call it a Trilogy, then make ammends when the fourth and fifth books come oot. Think of calling it a

Quintuplogy.

Trilogy Plus Two is way easier.

-Jason-

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2002 :  05:54:36 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
How about "Trilongergy"?

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2002 :  09:35:33 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I don't get how that would work. But whatever you say. You are Fluffy.

-What-
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2002 :  6:58:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
TRILOGY to TRILOngerGY

Trilogy with LONGER in the middle, Get it? Longer than a trilogy! HEHE

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2002 :  8:49:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I say we write one more and just call it a double trilogy.....or DUO TRI

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2002 :  03:38:26 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
or maybe D'OH TRI !!! Hey isn't that that guys name from King of the Hill?

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2002 :  05:16:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Maybe! Perhaps he is partial to D'OH CHI MIHN.

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2002 :  05:20:59 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
D'OH CHI MIHN, I hear he's a HO!!!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2002 :  05:23:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
D'OH REALLY?????

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2002 :  05:26:50 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
HO!!! REALLY!!!!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2002 :  05:28:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
D'oh.......

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2002 :  05:31:51 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I am beginning to think you are a D'oh D'oh Bird!!!

I mean that in the nicest possible way!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2002 :  05:38:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well thank you d'oh much!

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2002 :  05:46:16 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
If you D'Oh it again, I may have to sock you in the eye!

Look out here it comes.......

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2002 :  05:49:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
d'oh?

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2002 :  05:56:33 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I warned you.......

2 black eyes!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2002 :  05:58:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2002 :  06:04:51 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You can't say I didn't warn you!!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2002 :  06:09:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Dammit! I have this ring-shaped indent on my forehead and it won't go away!

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2002 :  06:14:48 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Does it match Black Lotus' ass-dent?

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2002 :  06:16:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Not unless that ring is the size of his wallet.

Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2002 :  12:53:13 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I got a wallet... I can drive.
-J

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2002 :  5:16:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yes, but do you have an ass-dent or a ring-dent?

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2002 :  5:20:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ring-dent!...duh!!!!.....Unless you punched my with your wallet.

Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2002 :  02:11:25 AM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I like pizza... I LIKE IT!
-J

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2002 :  03:40:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey Fluffy....do you notice this annoying housefly that's buzzing around? I heard his name was Silky or something like that......

Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2002 :  1:56:05 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Haha I can't believe nobody picked up on that... My last two posts were quotes from a movie. Have I finally stumped the panel?
-J

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000