TRelated Topics
 Tim's SG Gothic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2002 :  2:10:05 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Just curious, what's the difference between a regular SG and Tim's SG Gothic? They look the same to me and all that.

-Jason-

I am a servant of the power behind the nothing.

Xar666
Yak Addict

USA
546 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2002 :  01:33:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The SG Gothic is completely black. Gibson has Gothic versions of a lot of their guitars.

http://www.gibson.com/products/gibson/Gothic/

-Xar666

We're going to Vegas to croak a scag baron named Savage Henry. I've known him for years but he ripped us off. And you know what that means...
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2002 :  02:24:07 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You can get an SG Standard and an SG Classic in ebony as well. So it is surely more than color.

The Standard and the Gothic both have the 490 humbuckers but the Classic and the Supreme have dual P-90s. So that's different, I suppose.

Anyway, I guess it's really no big deal, I was just curious as to what makes one guitar Gothic as opposed to another one that is basically the same..

Any more insight from anyone would be nice.

-Jason-

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2002 :  02:26:00 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Aaaah. I see. It is the moon-and-star 12th fret inlay. That is really bad ass. That is the only marked fret, as opposed to normal ones...I see now.

I guess that's a subtle difference, but I get it now, and I think it's really cool.

-Jason-

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2002 :  03:30:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I bet that would be a pain in the ass to play for me. I would always have to stop and think "OK, the seventh fret is five down from the star so..1..2..3..4..5..got it!" But, of course, we're talkin' aboot TIM.

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2002 :  6:18:17 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You could just do like Tenacious D and play the One Note Song. Your note could just be fretted at 12.

-Jason-

Go to Top of Page

Xar666
Yak Addict

USA
546 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2002 :  11:30:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

You can get an SG Standard and an SG Classic in ebony as well. So it is surely more than color.

Well if you click on the link, it states that they are satin black, not ebony. It is an aesthetic thing only. You yourself even said that the Standard and the Gothic have the same pickups. They are COMPLETELY black, not just ebony.

-Xar666

We're going to Vegas to croak a scag baron named Savage Henry. I've known him for years but he ripped us off. And you know what that means...
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2002 :  11:58:56 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I the subtle differences are coming out to me. Like the pickups being black on the Gothic and not on the others, and the inlays on the fretboard...etc...

So my summary is that the SG Gothic is badass. That moon-and-star inlay is just wonderful.

But yeah, I see what all you are talking about. And I do see differences now. Thanks!

-Jason-

Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2002 :  6:19:14 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I bet that would be a pain in the ass to play for me. I would always have to stop and think "OK, the seventh fret is five down from the star so..1..2..3..4..5..got it!" But, of course, we're talkin' aboot TIM.

i have a Gibson Gothic Les Paul. It's pretty sweet, with the same inlay at the 12th fret. Actually, its no more difficult to play than a regular guitar (and id guess the SG is the same) because it still has the dots on the side of the fretboard on the 3rd, 5th, 7th...etc.. frets.

Adam

There's a lot more to music than notes on a page.

I am Ion, the priest of the inner sanctuary. I submit myself to an unendurable torment. I dismembered myself, and I have become spirit.

Email: Guitar_Boy1@yahoo.com

AIM: GuitarGuy305
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2002 :  11:39:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I was thinking that it was like that. Otherwise it would be far too difficult.

"War is not about who is right, it is about who is left."
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2002 :  11:45:21 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I had my Gothic Les Paul modified with EMG pickups....so now I have the Gibby ones lying around, and I'm thinking of putting them in my epiphone les paul, which would be funny because then the pickups would be worth more than the rest of the gutiar.... :)

Adam

There's a lot more to music than notes on a page.

I am Ion, the priest of the inner sanctuary. I submit myself to an unendurable torment. I dismembered myself, and I have become spirit.

Email: Guitar_Boy1@yahoo.com

AIM: GuitarGuy305
Go to Top of Page

FeelingDoors
Is Anybody Here?

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2002 :  12:35:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was in my local guitar store the other day when i noticed that Epiphone has put out a new guitar. It's a gothic "pierced" SG. They took a regular SG, put a satin black finish on it, then cut out an "X" in the body and put some dents in it to make it look "cool". the icing on the cake, though, is the two rings "pierced" through the head.

Still Strumming,
Will
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000