Seeking some advice and help about Nashville
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

br1
Is Anybody Here?

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2009 :  12:26:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit br1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey y'all. I recall an old post on here about someone asking if they should move somewhere new and I thought some of you could spit some jive at me as well? Looks like I might be doing a move to Nashville. Scranton, Pa - where I am now is a bit small and I'm hoping a move to Nashville will provide me with more of an opportunity to become involved with finding more work as a guitarist. Have any of you spent time there, gigged there, have friends that have spent time there? Are guitarists there a dime a dozen? (i'm sure they are) Any insight at all would be a huge help. At this point, I don't even know what the hell I'm doing and feel a bit lost. Maybe I just need a kick in the ass and need to keep my head up and just make the move.. Let me know what you think. Thanks everyone.
-Billy

rubylith
Fluffy-Esque

1915 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2009 :  1:20:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit rubylith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am going to Nashville in 2 weeks I cannot WAIT! I will let you know my experience, I am sure it's gonna be awesome, I hear nothing but wonderful things about Nashville.
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2009 :  3:14:29 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Billy, yes they are a dime a dozen there but with your talent I am sure you will standout quickly and thats what it takes. There will certainly be waaaaay more opportunities there to further your career than in Scranton. I say make the move...whats the worst than can happen. Nashville is a nice town & GREAT for musicians. Lots of jamming & certainly MORE opportunity for gigs. I lived outside of Nashville in Franklin, TN for a bit and thought it was very nice. Good luck & hope you take the chance! PEACE

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

gnome44
Yak Addict

749 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2009 :  5:39:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Austin is a great town for music too. You don't have the "industry" that you have in Nashville...but it's still a great place for being around a lot great music/musicians.
Go to Top of Page

br1
Is Anybody Here?

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2009 :  1:04:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit br1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys! Dave - I'd love to hear how your trip to Nashville goes and what you think about the town and all that..
Thanks for the kind and positive words, Fluffy. Looks like if everything pans out with the place I'm looking at, I might make the move as soon as the first of September! Dave, (I think it's Dave C.) definitley let me know about your trip!
Oh, and if you guys have any idea of cool places there to check out, or friends in bands, or know of any fun things that go on inside that town outside of music, even - let me know.
Looks like I'm going to have get my telecaster tuned up and work on some chickin' pickin'.
Go to Top of Page

rubylith
Fluffy-Esque

1915 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2009 :  1:39:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit rubylith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For sure, can't wait to goto Dollywood haha. I would either move to Austin or Nashville (but I have been to neither) I just always hear wonderful things. I am an hour from NYC which is a great place for music, but with any great place for music, there is a lot of competition. Competition makes you better, and to me success isn't measured in dollars but rather something that is impossible to define, perhaps it is happiness. I am happy as fuck and poor as hell, I guess that makes me successful! haha I will let you know every detail! Can't wait to hear music from independent people I have never heard of. That is my favorite, love it or hate it, at least you never heard it before!
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2009 :  4:00:20 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Gotta agree with gnome44 & rubylith...In fact, I was just talking about how kewl Austin is to someone just yesterday Your young...give them both a shot. If one doesn't work out move on to the next! :)

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

rubylith
Fluffy-Esque

1915 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2009 :  4:47:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit rubylith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I' OLD gonna be 26 on the 20th! EEEK! 8 years on this board! WOW!
Go to Top of Page

br1
Is Anybody Here?

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2009 :  11:39:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit br1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I hear you, Fluff and Ruby ... It's funny to think that I'd even question the move to such a musical town as Nashville is, coming from Scranton, right? HAha! I'm surprised no one ripped on me for that ;) Sometimes taking that first step feels a bit uncertain. Which, is odd because it never was like that before. Damn this complacency! It's time to move! I feel good about it, though. Hope this apartment pans out and I get there sooner than later.
It's actually a bit odd - I've traveled quite a bit, but yet have never visted Nashville, Austin or New Orleans! WTF? That's about to change!
Go to Top of Page

rubylith
Fluffy-Esque

1915 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2009 :  10:52:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit rubylith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We didn't rip you because we all live in dip shit holes you've never heard of. haha... New Orleans is amazing! I was there in 2003 for Jazz Fest and after paying the $35 for Jazz Fest and seeing amazing musicians, the rest of the trip we went and saw equally amazing artists at EVERY local bar...for free. Even on the street. Shit I made a few bucks. Actually there might even be a post about it on here from 2003 I am sure. Oh my God all of our thoughts were cataloged on here for years. AHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Good luck with your decision! Oh and....do you know Michael Scott? haha I had to sorry.

No one give me shit about the BBC version being better, yes it was the original but not nearly a good. Fuck you Jared!
Go to Top of Page

muldercat
Is Anybody Here?

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2009 :  02:37:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Br1,
I have friends that just moved there. They are musicians and thought it would be better in the long run for their career. They also produce artists as well. You might check out the group at http://www.waterdeep.com
Millissa

freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose.--KK
Go to Top of Page

br1
Is Anybody Here?

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2009 :  3:08:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit br1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
MAny thanks for sharing the info. I'll check them out and drop them a line.
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2009 :  4:46:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Fuck me? Fuck yooz!

http://db.etree.org/hopefulrollingwaves/ < My Trading List
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000