New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

muldercat
Is Anybody Here?

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2009 :  10:49:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm learning to play guitar and wonder if there are any good tips those of you who do play might give. I bought a Fender Acoustic/Electric. I'm a lefty so I got a lefty guitar. Anyway, I'd love any tips, hints you might provide me.
Millissa

freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose.--KK

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2009 :  11:01:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just do it as much as you can all the time. Even when you feel like you're plateauing. One day something will click over and you'll start mastering barre chords or something.

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Ranting Thespian
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2009 :  01:58:47 AM  Show Profile  Send Ranting Thespian an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I always like to recommend starting on Bob Dylan songs, since he tends to use simple open chords and it is easy to sing along with (and sometimes uses a capo). Hence, look at Watchtower: Am G F G over and over again.

check out http://dylanchords.info/

Not communicating can hurt more than any word that can be said -

Nick
-the Ranting Thespian
Go to Top of Page

br1
Is Anybody Here?

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2009 :  4:12:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit br1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Those Authentic Guitar Recording books with tabs helped me tremendously with lead chops, chordal shapes, phrasing and just good old ear training and understanding dynamics. Go to www.halleonard.com and look up some of your favorite albums. Chances are you can find the guitar music for them and play along with the CD. Eric Clapton unplugged taught me a lot right off the bat. It's good beause it has a lot of open chord riffs and great solos to get your fingers moving right from the start. If you keep to melodies and songs your ear is familiar with, you'll get a pretty good mix of how to apply what your learning to new and unfamiliar things as well
Go to Top of Page

rubylith
Fluffy-Esque

1915 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2009 :  10:01:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit rubylith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Use a click! It seems gay but it will help in the long run!
Go to Top of Page

Ranting Thespian
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2009 :  9:17:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Ranting Thespian an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rubylith

Use a click! It seems gay but it will help in the long run!

Hey, watch it man!

Nick
-the Ranting Thespian
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2009 :  12:27:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
We're from Jersey, man. Everything is gay here.

Shit, that was gay.

http://db.etree.org/hopefulrollingwaves/ < My Trading List
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2009 :  1:34:08 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You guys are so gay.
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2009 :  4:17:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm...good to know...

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

rubylith
Fluffy-Esque

1915 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2009 :  8:46:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit rubylith's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Tho GAY!

This was ALSO gay Arthen...
quote:
Originally posted by Arthen

Just do it as much as you can all the time. Even when you feel like you're plateauing. One day something will click over and you'll start mastering barre chords or something.

Go to Top of Page

gnome44
Yak Addict

749 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2009 :  9:13:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is that hat glued to your head?
Go to Top of Page

Ranting Thespian
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2009 :  02:27:37 AM  Show Profile  Send Ranting Thespian an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Fuck you guys.

I really hate it when people use gay as an insult or as a negative comment. Stop it!!

Nick
-the Ranting Thespian
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2009 :  08:41:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gnome44

Is that hat glued to your head?

Ha ha ha ha.

Nicely done Rubylith. I suppose describing how to play guitar is rife with sexual imagery. There's lots of fingering, strumming, playing, holding. Some tapping even. But don't fret! You'll get better over time and develop the skills to do it all day long. Then you'll be making your instrument sing.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2009 :  10:57:42 AM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Seriously, you guys are being gay.

Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2009 :  11:03:06 AM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
To respond to the young lady who wants guitar tips...

I started about 7 years ago now, and it may be backwards, but I just dove right into trying to learn songs I really loved. It kept me motivated at first because I found it difficult to practice something that was general, I guess. I went out and bought a couple DMB tab books and plugged away! Big chords, big chords. Always challenge yourself!

Now with YouTube though, you can pretty much hop online and see tons of songs played by just regular Joe's and Jane's right in front of you, which is an invaluable learning tool.

Hope that helps, though it probably didn't.

Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2009 :  11:23:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hopeful Rolling Waves

Seriously, you guys are being gay.

People! People! Our King has spoken!

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

rubylith
Fluffy-Esque

1915 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2009 :  11:45:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit rubylith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"Wow this place is FUCKED."

Hey...is there TRCamp next year? Do I need to post another thread? Does the mystical Fluffy still have the powers to move threads around? Why am I still online what is wrong with me and why won't Jared call me back?

Go to Top of Page

muldercat
Is Anybody Here?

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2009 :  2:30:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Everyone,
Thanks so much for the tips! I have to say I really love the song, I wanna be sedated by the ramones and learned they use mostly down strokes to play their stuff. Again, you all rock!! I'm going to check out Dylan! Love his stuff anyway! :)

Go to Top of Page

gnome44
Yak Addict

749 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2009 :  3:14:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I never really thought about it...but the Ramones might actually have the most simple guitar playing (to some extent) in history.

All down strokes. Only two chords.

HAHA!
Go to Top of Page

muldercat
Is Anybody Here?

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2009 :  4:52:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was reading one of the Hal Leonard books by Tom Kolb and he said, you have to learn to do upstrokes too or you will end up playing only Ramones songs! They may be simple for you Guitar Vets; however, it still sounds great!!!

Again, you have all been very helpful and funny too! Thanks for that!

Go to Top of Page

br1
Is Anybody Here?

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2009 :  1:40:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit br1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Upstrokes.. I remember having a hard time with really fast ska type stuff, (e.g. "Burritos" off of Sublime - Sublime) which you really must use upstokes for. I really liked Sublime at the time and No Doubt and The Bostones were huge during that part of the 90's. I still have a spot for that music. ANYWAYS - If you have a hard time with getting your right hand just getting into the comfort zone of a groove - without worrying about "Should I be stumming up or down?" - Start off with Reggae grooves - chances are the accent of the beat will fall on a downstoke. In faster grooves, like in ska or a more upbeat reggae - your upstroke will be on the offbeat. This may sound confusing, but it's not at all. You can pretty much do whatever you'd like with the stumming as long as you keep it in time and stacatto (very short.. VERY SHORT) and are not white as hell in your soul. Down or up - don't worry about it - the more you use your ear - you'll start to realize when and where to use them. It's more of a tonality thing, really. I love strumming on reggae grooves! I'd be happy doing that all night if I had to. You just sit and groove. It's the shit!
Go to Top of Page

muldercat
Is Anybody Here?

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2009 :  02:29:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Br1,
Yeah, I was strumming E chords as E is the first chord used in I wanna be sedated as well as Tom Petty's American Girl. It was fun just playing the chord and by ear thinking, wow, okay, that really does sound like the opening to both of those songs!!

Now, I'm practicing switching from D chord to A chord as those two aren't as difficult to switch to when strumming DDUUDU for the song, Sloop John B. I'm going to look into those Reggae Grooves.

Thanks again!
Millissa

Go to Top of Page

br1
Is Anybody Here?

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2009 :  4:16:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit br1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"Stir it up" by Marley is only three chords and a good place to start. The chord shapes he uses will get you out of the open chords as well. Pretty sure he uses some simple triads that are very easy to finger. Check it out, for sure. Pay attention to keeping the triads barley even fretted to get that short "chick-chick", typical reggae sound. If you let it ring out you pretty much won't be playing reggae. Down, up strokes. It'll get you to just use that right hand automatically, with what you hear in your head right away.
Lordamercy! BIP!
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2009 :  7:27:09 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
A few pieces of advice for the young lady...

First, don't be afraid to start slow-- literally. You need to challenge yourself to improve, and if you can play something at full speed from the get go, you're probably not challenging yourself enough. Play songs that you can only manage at half speed, or even slower if that's what it takes to play them perfectly, and practice until you build up to playing them full speed. If you're just starting out this will really help you keep from plateauing.

Second, if there are people who you look up to as guitar players, watch them play. Watch what they do, how they do it, when they do it... then emulate. I'd been struggling with rhythm for the first 2 years I was learning to play before I actually saw D&T Storytellers... in 1 song I could see how their strumming hands stayed in perpetual motion, which was new to me. In 5 minutes I could play rhythm better than I had in 2 years. Video is an invaluable tool.

Lastly, don't listen to playing from anyone like Tim or SRV... they'll just make you want to quit.

Go to Top of Page

muldercat
Is Anybody Here?

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  4:56:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Silky,
Thanks! And yeah, Tim is too good!!! But I was watching Patty Griffin (friend of Dave) play a concert on PBS and picked up the pattern for the song You Never Get What You Want. It's only got 4 chords but kinda tricky at first. I'm playing it slowly!!! :)

Thanks again, you all rock!
Millissa

Go to Top of Page

muldercat
Is Anybody Here?

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2009 :  2:47:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hope everyone is doing well.

Well, I've made some progress and love playing the guitar! I'm now learning Barre Chords! Anyone have any tips for building strength for my fingers?

Millissa

Go to Top of Page

Ranting Thespian
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2009 :  5:07:09 PM  Show Profile  Send Ranting Thespian an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by muldercat

Hope everyone is doing well.

Well, I've made some progress and love playing the guitar! I'm now learning Barre Chords! Anyone have any tips for building strength for my fingers?

Millissa

Sadly, it's just going to take practice. Even at almost 10 years of playing, I still have trouble doing Barre Chords at times, so I cheat and just do partials.

If your hand starts to really hurt from doing them, stop for a while. You don't want to put too much strain on your fingers.

Nick
-the Ranting Thespian
Go to Top of Page

muldercat
Is Anybody Here?

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  9:33:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nick,
Thanks for the tips on Barre Chords. My instructor says I'm doing pretty well; as he said a lot of people are unable to get all the strings to ring out when at first. I guess I will keep practicing!

I really appreciate the insights.
Millissa

Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2009 :  12:37:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yep... I remember having difficulty with barre chords when I first started as well. The key is to just keep playing them every day so that your hands build up strength in the right areas.

Go to Top of Page

muldercat
Is Anybody Here?

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2009 :  5:28:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeff,
Thanks!
Much Appreciated,
Millissa

Go to Top of Page

EnlightenThis
Chatterbox

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2009 :  08:48:19 AM  Show Profile  Send EnlightenThis an AOL message  Reply with Quote
another great thing for doing bar chords is to practice them without using your thumb. it teaches you to use the bigger muscles in your arm rather than all of the little ones in your hand.
Go to Top of Page

muldercat
Is Anybody Here?

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  6:15:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank You! I have been practicing and trying to build those muscles!

Again, thanks for all the help!
Millissa

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000