02/07/09 The Mint, Los Angeles, CA TR3
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sfmartins
Is Anybody Here?

2 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2009 :  2:13:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am Portuguese, and I am visiting UCLA for 1.5 years, so this was an excellent opportunity to see Tim!

The venue is relatively small, providing a very intimate environment.

I arrived quite early, and was really impressed when the band came and set up all the equipment on stage!

The show was really amazing, and they were really nice and friendly at the end. I got a nice autograph and pick

Here are some pics, where you can check the playlist, and might recognize the special guest in Whole Lotta Love (I think he just happened to be there... but it was weird that he had a slice in the left pocket and a capo on the right one ):

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2009 :  4:54:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks so much for posting this! Great pictures! TR really looked like he was having a blast! I am very glad you got to attend this show and that you took time to visit here and post your thoughts and the pictures.Thank you! BTW, was that Elvin Bishop with TR??? Crazy!
Go to Top of Page

gnome44
Yak Addict

749 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2009 :  5:36:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sure looks like Elvin!

Great pics!
Go to Top of Page

sfmartins
Is Anybody Here?

2 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2009 :  8:20:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Exactly, Elvin Bishop!

Tim was really having a blast when Elvin was playing!
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  1:23:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
May have been one of the BEST TR3 shows ever(according to the band). It was alot of fun for all in attendance. Marcus sat in Ley Lines & Sex Machine. Marcus had brought along a horn section(Regiment Horns) for his set and they ended up stepping in on Sex Machine as well. Then Elvin Bishop(of Fooled Around and Fell In Love fame) sat in on Whole Lotta Love and breathed new life into that song for the evening some scorching, distorted solos. TR was so excited. They did not have an opportunity to rehearse it together so Elvin just took the stage and shredded. Funny story, I met Elvin moments before TR3 took the stage. I let him know he was going to sit in on the encore and I told him what song. He seemed very excited and I got them impression he was quite familiar with the song from his reaction. I arranged to have him meet us backstage after the set so I could introduce him to the band before the encore. When we all met back there I introduced them and TR started to tell Elvin what song they were going to do and he said "I don't know it, but lets go!". You wouldn't know that from the performance he delivered onstage. WOW!! TR thought it was great. We are hoping that he can make it to the Mill Valley show again next week. What a fun, fun nite!

Setlist:

Kabbalah
Non-Violent Approach
See You In Your Dreams
Indoctrinate
By Your Side
Wind Just Blew The Door Wide Open
Test Of TIMe(dedicated to MLK)
Trippin On You
Wild Country(Chris Whitley cover)
Backdoor
Industrial Complex
How Many More TIMes(Led Zep cover)
Matte Kudasai(King Crimson cover with Mick on lead vocals)
Cave Man
Victory Express
Do You Wanna
Goin Insane
Ley Lines(with Marcus Eaton on guitar)
Sex Machine(with Marcus Eaton on guitar)
Face Off
Meaning to Tell You
Burning Season
Hocus Pocus
----------------
Whole Lotta Love(with Elvin Bishop on guitar)

Also worthy of note, another guest in attendance was Pinetop Perkins. He was in town for the grammys which were going on this weekend in LA. He is 95 years YOUNG and won a grammy last year and was nominated again this year. He was going to sit in as well but the show went so late he had to split. That would have been a real treat as well. I think had he sat in TR3 would have played one of his songs although he prolly could have played his way thru TR3's new blues track "Goin Insane". Love this song by the way. They have slowed it down a bit since a few earlier performances. Faster, it sounds kinda like an Aerosmith song from the "Toys In The Attic" period. Now it's just flat out BLUES! SWEET!!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  1:47:19 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The night of a World Record: The most people on stage during TR3's Sex Machine (10 people I think?)

Great to see Marcus Eaton and his Trio open up. He had a different bass player this time around and he kicked major ass. They are getting very tight and sounded great. They played Standing Still, Burn it Down, Elevate Your Soul, What's The Difference, Black Pearl, maybe a new song or two, and then brought out a Horn Section!!! The Regiment Horn Trio played on Drug and Victims I beleive. That was very cool, and added a nice new element to an already great sound.

Highlights included the song "A Non-Violent Approach" off the the very old TR3 cd Shifting Currents. I'd have to guess that was the first time that song was played in a long time. CaveMan, which Tim played with his light-up goggles and the house turned off all lights, so It looked like Wall-E was playing guitar. Awesome. Marcus came out to play Ley Lines with Tim which sounded INCREDIBLE, and for the encore Elvin Bishop joined the band to rock on Whole Lotta Love. I think I saw Hugh of Blue Mountain Artists (of which Elvin is also a member), and I think they were in town for the Grammys.

Sex Machine tonight included the Horn section from earlier in the night, Toxic Pooh, Alien Cow, Wolf-man Marcus, and the Devil.

Great night. I really didn't take many pictures or videos tonight. That venue is so small, and was pretty tightly packed so it wasn't condusive to picture taking. That said I met a nice guy (sorry I forget your name) who looked to be getting some great shots and will hopefully send me some pictures.

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  1:50:13 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
A TR3 version of Breathing Space is on the cd Puke Matrix, although that cd looks to be out of print at the moment.

Fluffy, what was this talk about Playmates at the show???

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  2:32:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
A friend of Marcus' at the show is apparently Playboy's 2008 Cyber Girl of the Year. We were trying to get her to come out and dance on Sex Machine but she wouldn't. Shy playmate? Didn't compute. LOL

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  3:43:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Toxic Pooh, just wondering...Who is the devil cow?
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2009 :  5:59:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Just like Toxic Pooh, it's different every nite. If you are talking about "this" nite, in the pics above, it's Marcus' drummer Kevin but SHHHHHHHHHHHH hehe

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2009 :  8:43:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL I promise I won't tell.
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2009 :  12:30:19 AM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
AMAZING sounding recording here: Everyone needs to listen to this show!!!

http://www.archive.org/details/TR2009-02-07.Matrixsbd

I sent the guy a note with the setlist, and to let him know that the track listing got messed up, but WOW, what a great soundboard of a great show.

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

cswright
Is Anybody Here?

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2009 :  5:25:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

This was a great show. Glad to see the tape is up. I have a bunch of photos I'll try and upload later, although some are on my flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29911673@N00/
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  12:32:50 AM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Just to clarify, if you haven't already done so....

STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING.

PULL UP YOUR PANTS

AND DOWNLOAD THIS SHOW NOW!!!!!

Make sure you listen to the flac files in winamp for the best sound. This is one of the best recording I've ever heard, one of the best shows.

THIS IS TR3!!!

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

jsemon2
Yak Addict

USA
920 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  1:48:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit jsemon2's Homepage  Send jsemon2 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
not sure this is up with the link you provided. the tracks are labeled poorly, filed under the wrong band and is probably why it isn't working.

OUT FOR LUNCH
Go to Top of Page

oasisfan35
Is Anybody Here?

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2009 :  08:47:19 AM  Show Profile  Send oasisfan35 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fluffy

A friend of Marcus' at the show is apparently Playboy's 2008 Cyber Girl of the Year. We were trying to get her to come out and dance on Sex Machine but she wouldn't. Shy playmate? Didn't compute. LOL

Marcus is friends with Jo Garcia? Lucky bastard.

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.
Go to Top of Page

JTR
Chatterbox

417 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2009 :  01:13:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd love to download this show, but there's something wrong with the listing on the Archive now ("The item is not available due to issues with the item's content"). Any alternatives?
Go to Top of Page

JTR
Chatterbox

417 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2009 :  01:11:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well nearly four months later, the download now works on the Archive.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000