12-string tuning
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2001 :  01:03:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I just got one for Christmas and I was wondering if the smaller string under the g-string is supposed to sound high. Now I know that the guitar was tuned by Paul Stanley (my step-dad built a house for him), but it just doesn't seem right.

BTW, after playing songs like As Far As We Can See and Valley of Flowers on a 6-string for a few months, it seems almost impossible to pick those songs on a 12-string.

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2001 :  02:13:31 AM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well, I'm not sure how Tim tunes his 12er, but some people tune the g strings octaves apart, the one is like a standard G on a 6 string, then the other is an octave higher. While some people like to use what's called a "double g" i believe. Where both strings are tuned to the same G, the lower G. If that makes any sense. So you'd have to know whether Tim uses the "double g" or the standard 12 string tuning with the G, then the other G up the octave.

Adam

There's a lot more to music than notes on a page.

I am Ion, the priest of the inner sanctuary. I submit myself to an unendurable torment. I dismembered myself, and I have become spirit.

Email: Guitar_Boy1@yahoo.com

AIM: GuitarGuy305
Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2001 :  10:44:54 AM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i think tim might do the double G thing, becasue i was playing High In The West and it did not sound right at all, but it sounds perfect on a six string. Now that i think about it, it was probably just my playing...oh,and he IS tuned up half a step like the tab says...i've tested that and it's true.

Jay
Have you ever been eating pistachios, and you get a real rotten one? That is the nastiest tasting thing on this planet, let me tell you what..
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000