Vanilla Sky.........SEE IT!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2001 :  05:54:21 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I can't tell you anymore. I would have been so bummed if someone had spoiled it for me. It twists and turns the way The Sixth Sense did. Only Vanilla Sky twists and turns all the way thru, not just at the end like The Sixth Sense. Check it out! Sorry, can't tell you why. You will thank me for not telling you after you see it.

ps If anyone else has seen it. Just answer with whether you liked it or hated it. Don't spoil it for everyone else. THANX

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2001 :  2:57:10 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Nah... see the original (non Hollywood, non Tom Cruise version) Its called Eyes Open Wide I belive. It's a Spanish film that hollywood bought the rights to and made Vanilla Sky. It has Penelope Cruise in it (and she is nekkid a whole lot!!!! yahoo!!!) Anyways the foriegn version is much more of a psychological thriller than Vanilla Sky is supposed to be. You can rent the foriegn version at most video stores although it is a hot item right now with Vanilla Sky out.

Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2001 :  4:16:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Jason Lee is in Vinilla Sky though... and he is the shit.

I liked it alright... but i felt they explained it all way too much. like the last 10 minutes they tell you everything, it was like a Bond movie or something... i would have stoped it when he was in the place and read the thing and the chick showed them that thing. If you saw it i think you should be able to tell what i am talking about. I would have stoped the movie right after they saw the thing. And left the details of the movie for us to figure out. One of my truley stupid female friends still didnt understand after the movie was over. One of my other friends had to explaine it to her.

But if you want a really awsome psychological movie, try to find a japanese film called 'Cure' it is amazing. Blows Sky out of the freaking water.

And another great movie that you should watch is Mulholland Drive. I mentioned this before but i dont know if many people read it.

Patriotism is a maggot in their heads. - Henry D. Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2001 :  10:01:14 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'm probably going to go see vanilla sky sometime this weekend. I'll tell whoever I take with me that Fluffy recommends!!

Adam

There's a lot more to music than notes on a page.

Email: Guitar_Boy1@yahoo.com

AIM: GuitarGuy305
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2001 :  01:11:41 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey Kevin, I had noticed that in the credits and was interested in checking it out. I did not know anything about it when I went(thank god) except the commercials I had seen on TV. I figured the orignal would be alot better most foreign originals are. I am much more of a foreign film buff than hollywood buff but I still thought Vanilla Sky was pretty awesome. I bet having seen it will make the original that much better. If I had seen them in reverse I would probably have been let down with the Tom Cruise version. Did you notice the very first line of the movie? It was in spanish, the title of the spanish version, then it switches to English and his alarm clock going off with that voice saying the same thing in ENGLISH. I thought that was really kewl of them to add that. Kind of a homage to the orginal. I do agree with St Jude that they explained it a little much, but I think hollywood has a tendency to do that to films cause they think we are all a bunch of simple minded dummies who can't figure anything out or think for ourselves.(Oh Yeah! I guess most people in the general public are) I am sure the original version will not be so neat and tidy at the end. I still really liked it given the lengthy explanation of what happened. I will see you guys in the next life, when we are all cats!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2001 :  12:30:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
have you noticed how everyone's starting to remake all these movies? There's also Ocean's Eleven and they're re-showing Beauty and the Beast here in L.A.(with a deleted scene..oooohh) I just can't wait till they remake the Matrix in like twenty years. Maybe it'll be virtual reality.

Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2001 :  12:33:59 AM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
City of Angels was actually a remake of Wings Of Desire....

meaningless info there....

Adam

I am Ion, the priest of the inner sanctuary. I submit myself to an unendurable torment. I dismembered myself, and I have become spirit.

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2001 :  02:44:06 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
City of Angels was actually a remake of Wings Of Desire....

meaningless info there....

Meaningless, just like the remake. The original was awesome! Why did they even try to go there. Doah!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2001 :  02:52:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Has anyone seen both versions of Ocean's Eleven? I liked the Clooney one, but I haven't seen the original so I can't make any comparisons.

This doesn't really go with the remake discussion, but I just wanted to say that I saw Lord of the Rings on Wednesday and really liked it. It came with a preview of Star Wars Episode 2, which I hadn't seen. It looks like it's going to be mostly a love story, but at least Jar Jar won't be in it.
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2001 :  03:12:44 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
hey Teri, I have not seen either one of the Oceans Eleven yet. It is on my list. As far as the Lord of the Rings goes, believe it or not we have a thread devoted to that topic.

http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=851

you may want to go there and check out the comments and post your own. I have not seen it yet. Ed and I were gonna go on Monday but he got sick, sick as a dog. It is playing at the UPTOWN, so I am excited. The UPTOWN is where I saw Phantom Menace opening nite.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2001 :  2:03:25 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'm the other way around, I've seen the original Ocean's Eleven, but not the remake. I really can't imagine that the new one is better than the original...I actually like the actors in the original hehe.

Adam

I am Ion, the priest of the inner sanctuary. I submit myself to an unendurable torment. I dismembered myself, and I have become spirit.

Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2001 :  6:21:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
To Fluffy: Thanks for bringing back memories of that fun night for me. I'm sure we must have a theater here in LA that rivals the Uptown, but I have no clue where it is. I want to move back to DC where I know the cool places to go!!!

To GuitarGuy: I knew a couple of people that said the same thing about the original Thomas Crowne Affair, but then they then LOVED the new one.

http://www.honolulumarathon.org (I ran under that sign!)
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2001 :  8:47:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I'm halfway to a guitar (I think) so I'm gonna keep on posting.

Since this is all about movies and we've already mentioned Star Wars, I want to ask if anyone else has seen the trailer. There was a scene where Amidala was wearing a costume that I thought looked exactly like Ozma of Oz. Does anyone agree (even a little?)

In case you don't know what Ozma looks like, she's the girl with dark hair in this drawing by John Neill, who illustrated the original Oz books:

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2001 :  8:52:55 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I don't know about Ozma, but I can tell you that you are way more than halfway to a geetar. You get your first one at 50.

Anyway, who are all those people at that table in the Oz book's picture? Maybe it's been a long time since I saw Oz, but I don't remember at least two of them...one of the girls (not Ozma. granted, I don't remember her either...but anyway, you said who she was) and the chicken..

-Jason-

I am a servant of the power behind the nothing.
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2001 :  03:26:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Many of these characters never made it to the movie with Judy Garland. The movie with Fairuza Balk, though, had most of the ones in the picture. The chicken is Bellina, dorothy's talking hen. The little round guy is Tik Tok; he was the one-man (er, machine) army for the Emerald City. I think all the rest are obvious. (Not sure where the lion is though.)

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2001 :  12:09:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Didn't they add that character to another version of Oz. Maybe it was the Michael Jackson version.

Go to Top of Page

Jamie M
Chatterbox

Canada
404 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2001 :  7:35:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just saw Vanilla Sky... Great plot, but I have to say I'm not that impressed, though I would like to see it again so that I can follow stuff as it happens. Personally I liked the Sixth Sense better.
In the middle the sound cut out for like 2 minutes and they stopped it for 15mins, which really sucked. But I don't think I missed much and now I have a free pass.

Go to Top of Page

jsoldo
Administrator

USA
286 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2001 :  01:09:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit jsoldo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Awesome... awesome scene... Oliver Stone won the Academy Award... - Gable Guy

Peace On Earth
Jon
"Behold, the power of cheese"
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2002 :  06:54:19 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
This week, while on vacation, I finally got to see the original version of Vanilla Sky, Open Your Eyes(Abre Los Ojos). It was fantastic! Be warned, if you are not a subtitles person, it may be hard to follow, but if you speak spanish it should be really EZ. It follows Vanilla Sky, or should I say, Vanilla Sky followed it almost to the letter.(there were some slight differences, beyond the actors obviously) The big difference I saw was Penelope Cruz gets way nekkid in the spanish version. I don't remember that in Vanilla Sky. Of course Jason Lee is not in the spanish version but I did catch another flick with him in it that was extremely funny. Heartbreakers with Sigourney Weaver and a very sexy Jennifer Love Hewitt. JLH spends here first scene of the movie with here hair caught in Ray Liotta's zipper, and from there it just gets better and funnier. For more on this movie, check my post at this link:

http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=902

See ya at the movies!!! 2 thumbs up!! I would give them more but I only have 2 thumbs! HEHE

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2002 :  05:34:37 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I see a "Flaming joeMoe" coming on!!!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2002 :  1:13:36 PM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I think movie's w/ sub titles are far better then ones w/ dubs over them. I think my best example would be Run Lola Run, if u watch it w/ subtitles it has a big effect on you, but the overdubs are just stupid.

- Without you, without you everything falls apart
Without you, it's not as much fun to pick up the pieces.
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2002 :  8:18:23 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Actually my roomate was born in Mexico and he said that the language spoken in Abre Los Ojos is more like the spanish spoken in Europe/Spain and not typical spanish, so he had to follow the subtitles too.

So Heartbreakers is good eh? I'll have to check it out. It looked like a teen movie or something, but I'd be willing to watch anything where I can stare at Jennifer-Love Hugetits.. errrr Hewitt for 2 hours.

Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2002 :  8:51:20 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I agree St. Jude, subtitles are much better. I always put caps on when i watch a movie, anyway. Does anyone else do that?

Jay
My last name is confusing...It is Spelled Wiegand but is pronounced Weegend...another insult to the English language...
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2002 :  06:52:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I used to all the TIMe! But now I just turn them on when it's kind of loud. Like when my roommate is listening to music and I'm watching X-files.

"I do what I can with what I've got."
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2002 :  11:20:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I bet the close captionings drive Tericee crazy. Everytime I have seen them there are dozens upon dozens of misspellings. Sometimes some of the simplest words!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000