New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

oldcviller
Is Anybody Here?

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2008 :  12:15:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope that this show was recorded because even though the audience was sparse (no UVa students in town apparently), the band sounded tight. Thank you for playing like you had a packed house!! I thought it was the best Hocus Pocus I had heard so far. Was anyone dancing besides me? If I may, I suggest that people dance freakishly more often because TR3 is one of the best bands to get your rocks off to. I felt my chakras expanding. What was the name of the song that Tim dedicated to MLK Jr.? It was amazing. Peace and love to you all.

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2008 :  8:16:02 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Last nites show was off-the-hook. Not as well attended as the last TIMe we were at Satellite Ballroom but the guyz played like it was a packed house. The sound was phenomenal and it was recorded and the recording sounds great. I am sure dirtysloth will be giving you a full blow by blow. Since we played here as our second show back in Jan alot of the folks in attendance commented how much the tightness of the band had increased since Jan. Even back in Jan I remember thinking "How could they get any tighter?" Well they certainly have and it's not just me noticing. We also heard that alot in Richmond where it was the same scenario. The guys are really ready for the studio. Well the setlist looked like this(corrections at the bottom):

BY YOUR SIDE <D>----INSTR
OHIO <D>----INSTR
INDOCTRINATE <D>----bv)bass, drums
SEE YOU IN YOUR DREAMS <G>
SWEET SPOT <E>----INSTR
KABBALAH <G>
UNCOVER THE REASON <E>----bv)bass
JESUS IS JUST ALRIGHT <A>----bv)bass, drums
WIND JUST BLEW THE DOOR OPEN <E>
INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX <B>----INSTR
HOW MANY MORE TIMES <B>
MATTE KUDASAI <E>----LV)bass (LUSH REVERB)
CAVE MAN <C>----INSTR
VICTORY EXPRESS <C>----INSTR
SKELETON WALLS <B>
DO YOU WANNA <E>----bv)bass
MOVE ON AHEAD <A>----bv)bass, drums
SEX MACHINE <C>----bv)bass, drums
PURPLE RAIN <A>----bv)bass, drums
BURNING SEASON <B>----INSTR
BACKDOOR <C>
HOCUS POCUS <A>----LV)bass, drums
DON'T KNOW WHAT <E>----bv)bass, drums
-------------------------------------------------------------------
TRIPPIN ON YOU <E>----bv)drums
WHOLE LOTTA LOVE <E>

"By Your Side" is the brand new song, only the 3rd TIMe played. It was also played in Richmond on Thursday. Before that it was only played once and that nite it was called "(new song)side by side". I am told by TR that when originally conceived it has lyrics. Although the first TIMe they played it for a live audience it was instrumental as TR had worked out the lyrics completely. Now by the 3rd live performance it is still being performed instrumental so I asked TR about the lyrics and he said it will prolly stay instrumental as he has liked the way it has grown without the lyrics. Too much back story? Sorry! LOL

Uhhhhh, other changes, Jesus is Just Alright was not played and "Test of Time" was played in it's place. For oldcviller, "Test of Time" is the song that was dedicated to MLK. That song is slated to be worked on in the studio this week and will hopefully show itself on the new TR3 CD in the fall.

Also, "Leelines" snuck in between Backdoor & Hocus Pocus. I think those were all the changes.

Very worthy of mention is the fact that Greg Howard shredded on this particular evening. TR sat in for what was supposed to be the "tail end" of Greg's set that turned out to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 minutes of unbelieveable improv. TR said that while onstage doing it with Greg almost brought tears to his eyes. Like me he thought it was absolutely beautiful. GREAT news....It was recorded as was TR3's complete set. In fact, Greg recorded his complete set on video so I guess it may show up on youtube or something. Greg also recorded selected trax from TR3's set. Namely, the ones he played on which included "Kaballah", "Trippin On You" and "Whole Lotta Love". Yes, Chapman Stick on Led Zep. Hearing is believing. It really worked. For anyone who has heard the reggae version of Pink Floyd "Dark Side of the Moon" we equated the sound of Chapman Stick on Zep tunes to reggae Pink Floyd. We were talking about it with Greg after the gig and he informed us that he does "Four Stix" on the Stick and had we known we would have definitely included that in our setlist last nite. Oh well, there's always next TIMe. Always something to look forward to!

Thanx to Danny, Andy & the entire staff at Satellite Ballroom. We had an awesome TIMe as always and we are sad to see your venue close.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

dirtysloth
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1302 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2008 :  11:15:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Better late than never. I'd seen Greg a couple times about six years ago, but this is the first time I have gotten to see the two together. With all those college kids gone, there were only about 40 people there at the peak hour. The 20 minutes of improv with dueling delay pedals was definitely my favorite part of the evening. I thought they might do something like that. But a stick rocking out to Led Zep - never saw that coming! They actually played a little Staitrway to Heaven in the middle of that too. I love the power trio, but adding Greg takes it to a whole new level. And Fluffy is definitely right about the band becoming tighter. I noticed it even more this night than when I saw them a month earlier.

Here's a couple vids (not mine):
http://youtube.com/watch?v=zq9XUXzwFE4
http://youtube.com/watch?v=8tU7ebmw6x4
Go to Top of Page

Penguins66
Is Anybody Here?

20 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2008 :  09:51:54 AM  Show Profile  Send Penguins66 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I was really upset that I missed this show. I tried to make it work with my schedule, but I already had rigid plans to go home. I can't wait for the recording.
Go to Top of Page

hyoung41
Is Anybody Here?

6 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2008 :  10:57:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is the tape for this out yet?
Go to Top of Page

oldcviller
Is Anybody Here?

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2008 :  4:12:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would really like to hear the recording for this show pleeeeease?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000