Show Reviews
 11/09/07 The Mint Los Angeles, CA
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2007 :  1:35:35 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I figured that a Friday night in Los Angeles would provide a full house, if not a bit of a rowdy crowd, and that was an understatement on both accounts. Not only was the Mint jam packed, and I mean JAM PACKED, but it was a loud, drunk crowd as well.

So this brings me to a point, over the years I've noticed that a loud crowd isn't always such a bad thing. Sure it takes away a bit from being able to hear the intricacies of Tim's playing, but I've really noticed that a rawkus crowd usually equals Tim playing a bit more of an energetic set. I'm not sure if it was necessarily feeding of the energy of the crowd more so than playing hard, loud and trying to out-do the crowd, but nonetheless it definitely showed in Tim's furious playing.

On to another point, The Radio City Effect: I know in one of Fluffy's reviews he was starting to see signs of the RCE. I can now give first hand verification that it exists, how do I know? Betrayal got a bigger pop than Stream! In fact when Tim started playing Betrayal, the place went absolutely ape-shit. You Are My Sanity also got a bigger reaction than Stream. To be honest, when Tim started playing Stream, there wasn't even that big of a pop. So I think that the Radio City cd/dvd has absolutely spawned a whole new group of fans. Speaking of Stream, it was first for me as not only was Kashmir played, but also Ten Years Gone. Not sure if it has been played like that before, but it was the first time I've heard Stream--> Kashmir--> Ten Years Gone.

The set was all acoustic, pretty standard...it went something like:

- Neil Young Medley
- Che
- Betrayal
- The Truth
- Indoctrinate
- Fluorescence
- Ancestors
- Coco in the Wild
- Stream
- Repeat the Question
- Hands Full
- You Are My Sanity
- Whole Lotta Love
- Doom
- Dreaming
- Hold on, I'm Comin'
- All You Need Is Love

Maybe a few others that I'm either forgetting, or I know there were one or two I didn't recognize...

Coco in the Wild was my favorite. I really like that song and this was my first time seeing and hearing it live.

Due to the place being so packed, I couldn't really get any good pictures:

god
Kevin

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2007 :  2:56:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bad pictures???? I liked them, especially the black and whites!

Hey Kevin, thanks for the review. I always look forward to reading reviews, more so than anything else on the message board. I wondered how the shows have gone so far. I also understand where you are coming from as far as a rowdy crowd is concerned. Sometimes that kind of crowd is just fun. I have been to both quiet reserved crowd shows and rowdy ones and have enjoyed both. As long as people aren't being rude and obnoxious, I don't mind if they are a bit loud. Usually people around the stage are into the music so noise from the bar area isn't a big deal. I must admit, my last TR show was so amazing though because it was a small quiet crowd who were very much into his music. Made for a very fun evening.

Glad you had a good time. You are going to another show, right? Hope so, also hope to see another review!

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  3:41:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I absolutely love the front door shot! Way KEWL! Sorry for the delay in posting my reviews and setlists but they are forthcoming when I can find the TIMe. I will say that all the shows up to now have been awesome. TR is having the TIMe of his life. He has really been feeding off the crowds as Kevin pointed out. He has mentioned it to me on a nitely basis after the show, how he has connected and fed off the great crowds. TR is in a great place at the moment. More when I have TIMe. Sorry for the delay.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2007 :  11:05:23 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Man this was a great show. I haven't been able to get Tim's opening version of I'm Your Captain out of my head since this show. I've heard it before, but there was something different about the way he played it. Now that I really look back on it. I'd really have to rank this as one of the best TR shows I've seen.

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000