TR VS Keller Williams
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2007 :  2:38:00 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
http://antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=196054

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2007 :  2:52:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm honestly glad that the category with the most votes is "Can't compare." because you can't. Why the constant need to try to rank guitarists against TR?

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2007 :  3:00:53 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
These polls are all so pointless. All these people know of Tim is what he's done with DMB or the solos he's done at D&T shows. And most DMB fans write him off as a mindless shredder (Malmsteen, Vai, etc.). Little do they know that what he's done with DMB/Dave and the fast runs are about 5% of what Tim is all about.

Oh well...
Go to Top of Page

AGirlNamedPsycho
Try A Little Harder

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2007 :  10:03:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit AGirlNamedPsycho's Homepage  Send AGirlNamedPsycho an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You know what's awesome?
When guitarists/musicians/flying sheep/people look at what musicians do and compliment each other. I had this happen to me the other day and it was immediately gratifying.
"You guys rock man," he said, this kid (my age) who'd been living in Lincoln for like, two-ish years now, he's from Minneapolis and he's a FUCK of a shredder, into freeform jazz and noise and shit I don't really understand, and he goes, "Your playing man, it's... you, like, you go 'here's an idea I'm playing, and now I'll play it THIS way, and now I'll play it THIS way,' and it's just great man."
We could all, like, do that more often, instead of doing the "Oh man TR just TOTALLY DESTROYED Carlos Santana on this one uTube vid" or vice versa. I mean, it's not like either KW or TR has anything to prove, right?
I know it's all just casual voting and doesn't bear any implication, I just get real tired of the "musician's pwnership" thing. I played (still play) with a handful of guys who were all about that and it messed with my head and my playing for a long, long, long time.
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2007 :  5:04:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You make much sense. Thank you.

teri
Twittering about the DC adventure since Dec '09...
(Micro)Blog * Photo Album
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2007 :  4:52:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
It was really Bob Weir who TR destroyed on the 3/14/99 video. TR and Santana were just 'call and answering,' though Santana really can't get much fucking lamer at this point.

Anyway, AGirlNamedYoko is right, who cares. Don't hate, congratulate.

http://db.etree.org/hopefulrollingwaves/ < My Trading List
Go to Top of Page

Muskrat
Chatterbox

USA
266 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2007 :  11:39:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Muskrat's Homepage  Send Muskrat an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I got to see Keller & The Keels @ Rams Head Live in Bmore this year. What a night... Amazing show.

"You know, if you live long enough, eventually you're gonna die." -Words of wisdom from my dad
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2007 :  02:47:32 AM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
musical competitiveness is good insofar as it encourages players to improve their technique, or whatever it is that is being competed. however, if being better than someone else is your sole impetus for becoming better at your instrument, you might want to consider quitting, because you're playing for the wrong reasons. competition between musicians is only a means by which to improve your own craft and art. you improve for the sake of your art, not for the sake of your ego.

that being said, saying "guitarist x is better than guitarist y" demonstrates a fundamental lack of understanding about guitar playing, and in a larger sense, music. the term "better than" when applied to musicians is essentially meaningless. it's meaningless because the elements of technique and diversity of style are too numerous. a person may say guitarist x is better than guitarist y, but in what respects? in what styles? surely you can't mean all styles. you would be hard pressed to find a pair of guitarists who have been playing for a while and are reasonably skilled wherein one guitarist is simply "better" than the other.

case in point. my band has two guitar players; myself and and another guy. if you were to say "which one of you is better?" i would respond by saying "it depends what we're doing." i'm a better classical player than him, and i shred better. but he has me beat, with ease, when it comes to playing jazz and blues. especially jazz. the question has no real meaning. his left hand technique needs work. my right hand technique needs improving. he has a problem with weird or shifting meter. i can't play slide guitar worth a damn. given that, how can someone determine who is "better?" even if you were to tally up all of our flaws and strengths and compare them, who is to say which things are more important?

the only instance where a better guitar player can be determined is if one guy is just starting out and another has been playing for a while.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2007 :  11:26:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dan does your band have a myspace page or a website?

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2007 :  6:57:33 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
not as yet. we're still pretty new. once we get some recordings or something we'll likely put up a myspace. despite my genuine and deep loathing of that institution, it's easier than making a website that doesn't suck. but i'm not in charge of that sort of thing.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000