I gotta get out of Virginia......
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2007 :  07:06:06 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
By Dennis Cauchon,USA Today
Posted: 2007-07-01 15:18:05
Filed Under: Law, Nation

(July 1) - Virginia is for lovers, or so the state slogan has declared since 1969. Starting today, Virginia also will be the home of the $3,000 traffic ticket. In an effort to raise money for road projects, the state will start hitting residents who commit serious traffic offenses with huge civil penalties.

The new civil charges range from $750 to $3,000 and be added to existing fines and court costs. The civil penalty for going 20 mph over the speed limit will be $1,050, plus $61 in court costs and a fine that is typically about $200.

Virginia's traffic law is one of several thousand new state laws that take effect Sunday. Jan. 1 and July 1 are the most popular dates for state laws to become official.

July 1 is especially popular for new taxes and fees because it's the start of the budget year in 46 states. For example, Arkansas will cut its sales tax on groceries from 6% to 3% Sunday.

Virginia's new traffic penalties are expected to raise $65 million a year and are part of an effort to improve the state's roads without raising taxes.

A first-time drunken driver will face a $2,250 civil penalty, plus fines and court costs that typically run about $500 or more. Driving without a license? That's a mandatory $900 civil penalty, in addition to the ordinary $100 for a fine and court costs.

"It's outrageous," says traffic court attorney Thaddeus Furlong of Springfield, Va. "When Mr. and Mrs. Middle Class find out what they have to pay, there's going to be a backlash like you've never seen."

Some other states impose extra civil penalties for traffic offenses, but the cost is usually $100 or $200, Furlong says. "What sets this apart is the Draconian size of the civil penalties," he says.

Another difference: The civil penalties apply only to Virginia residents, not out-of-state drivers. Virginians must pay in three installments over 26 months or lose their licenses. The state Legislature didn't think it could enforce the extra penalties in other states.

Motorist club AAA Mid-Atlantic supports the new penalties.

"These penalties are harsh, but normal fines haven't gotten people to drive sanely. Maybe this will," says Lon Anderson, spokesman for AAA Mid-Atlantic.

He says the new law will help reduce the nearly 1,000 traffic deaths the state records annually.

"We wish motorists didn't have to pay more, but the fact is Virginia's transportation trust fund is broke," Anderson says.

Other new laws taking effect July 1:

Drunken Driving: Wyoming bans open containers in vehicles. South Dakota expands a program that requires repeat drunken drivers to check in at jails twice daily for breath testing. Supporters say it reduces jail costs and allows people to continue working, support their families and stay sober.

Health: New York City bans trans fats. Massachusetts' sweeping health care insurance law takes full effect, with everyone required to have health insurance — either with state help or purchased privately.

Children's Health: California bans soda sales on school campuses during school hours, and puts new limits on sugar and fat content in school food. Florida starts a one-year pilot program to test randomly for steroid use among high school athletes participating in football, baseball and weightlifting.

Cervical Cancer: Indiana schools must tell parents of sixth-grade girls about the link between human papillomavirus and cervical cancer, and about the availability of a new vaccine. North Carolina also requires schools to tell parents about the disease and the vaccine. Nevada requires insurers to cover the new vaccine.

Sex Education: Colorado bans abstinence-only sex education in all schools (except for one district), requiring schools to teach sex education based on scientific research and to include information on contraception.

Energy: Nevada and Minnesota encourage conservation and alternative energy. North Dakota begins a temporary tax break to spur the drilling of more oil wells in an area called the Bakken geologic formation.

Sex Offenders: Virginia requires convicted sex offenders to register their e-mail addresses with the state. Nevada forces certain sex offenders to live at least 1,000 feet away from schools and other places children gather. Connecticut creates a new crime for those who abuse a child under 13 that carries a 25-year prison sentence.

Showing ID:Tennessee requires everyone who buys beer at a store to show identification, regardless of their age.

War and Veterans: Minnesota provides state education assistance to veterans, or family members of dead or disabled veterans. Idaho limits protests at military funerals. Florida bars commercial use of names or pictures of service members without their permission or their families' permission, if they are deceased.

Immigration: Georgia's tough anti-illegal immigration laws kick in, requiring public employers with 500 or more employees -- and any contractors -- to verify that all new hires are in the country lawfully. The state also checks to make sure that anyone over age 18 who is receiving benefits is in the country legally. Idaho requires proof of legal residency for most forms of public assistance.

Abortion: Women seeking abortions in Georgia must be given a chance to see an ultrasound image of the fetus and listen for a heartbeat. In Mississippi, an abortion provider must perform a sonogram and give a pregnant woman the chance to listen to the heartbeat.

Minimum Wage: Illinois, Michigan and Pennsylvania were among the states that raised their minimum wage.

Sexual Orientation:Gays and lesbians are protected by Iowa's civil rights laws. Vermont bars discrimination against people who change their genders or discrimination based on whether they present themselves as a man or a woman.

Medical Marijuana: New Mexico legalized the medical use of marijuana. Rhode Island made permanent its medical marijuana program, which was to expire June 30. Vermont expanded the use of medical marijuana from only those with terminal diseases to those with some chronic diseases, too.

Copyright 2007 USA TODAY, a division of Gannett Co. Inc. All Rights Reserved.
2007-07-01 10:36:08

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson

Robin
Yak Addict

USA
598 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2007 :  2:59:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AHHHHHGH!! Too many rules. I can't imagine having to pay that kind of a fine. Fluffy you better be careful LOL. IMO If someone drives drunk, they should be fined heavily but speeding...yikes! The fines here in CA are almost two hundred for speeding depending on how much over the speed limit you were caught doing.
The abortion rule pisses me off completely I can't see how that's even in step with Roe v. Wade. I had to laugh at Colorado's attempt to teach abstinence only sex Ed. Good luck with that! Are we really this much of a need to be controlled society?! Buck the system everyone, be a free spirit Peace, Robin
Go to Top of Page

rubylith
Fluffy-Esque

1915 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2007 :  4:32:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit rubylith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
They have initiated a "ticket blitz frenzy" in Jersey and pulling over anyone going 5 mph over the limit.

Awesome right?
Go to Top of Page

Robin
Yak Addict

USA
598 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2007 :  6:05:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ridiculous. At least here you are given the grace of five miles over,it's kind of a given, thankfully, Peace, Robin
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2007 :  7:28:15 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rubylith

They have initiated a "ticket blitz frenzy" in Jersey and pulling over anyone going 5 mph over the limit.

Awesome right?

that actually sounds fun. wasn't ticket blitz frenzy a game on the price is right?

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

rubylith
Fluffy-Esque

1915 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2007 :  09:08:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit rubylith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hahahaha
Go to Top of Page

Black Lotus
Fluffy-Esque

Burkina Faso (Upper Volta)
1043 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2007 :  3:41:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Black Lotus's Homepage  Send Black Lotus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You could do what these guys did in Australia for some fun :)

http://www.davesdaily.com/pictures/908-mischievous-aussies.htm

Music is dead
Go to Top of Page

rubylith
Fluffy-Esque

1915 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2007 :  3:47:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit rubylith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That is so great I don't even know what to do with myself.
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2007 :  5:13:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fluffy

Starting today, Virginia also will be the home of the $3,000 traffic ticket. In an effort to raise money for road projects, the state will start hitting residents who commit serious traffic offenses with huge civil penalties.

Been there, done that. Went 30 kph over the speed limit in Finland and got a 1500 Euro speeding ticket. Translated (at that time) into $1900.

The interesting thing about Finland, though, is that for locals, speeding ticket fines are based on income. Their cops are apparently hooked into the database of Finland's "IRS." Oh my.

AAA is right... It works! I will never drive, let alone speed, in Finland again.

So Fluffy, if you gotta get out of Virginia, at least do it w/o speeding.

teri
Twittering about the DC adventure since Dec '09...
(Micro)Blog * Photo Album
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2007 :  5:20:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fluffy

Sex Education: Colorado bans abstinence-only sex education in all schools (except for one district), requiring schools to teach sex education based on scientific research and to include information on contraception.

I'm sorry, I don't understand this. What is sex ed based on scientific research? Are they saying there's no scientific evidence to prove that abstinence reduces unwanted teen pregnancies?

teri
Twittering about the DC adventure since Dec '09...
(Micro)Blog * Photo Album
Go to Top of Page

AGirlNamedPsycho
Try A Little Harder

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2007 :  8:50:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit AGirlNamedPsycho's Homepage  Send AGirlNamedPsycho an AOL message  Reply with Quote
If it's based on scientific evidence and reasoning, in particular deductive reasoning, then they sort of have to teach abstinence - If P then Q, "not sex" therefore "not baby or the clap" right? They just can't teach it in a vacuum free of the other options.
Go to Top of Page

Ranting Thespian
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2007 :  12:22:52 AM  Show Profile  Send Ranting Thespian an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I need a new thread for me to say, "I GOTTA GET OUT OF MY FUCKING LIFE!!!!!! OR I AM GOING TO FUCKING DO MYSELF IN SOON!!!!"

But I decided not, and used this thread to do so, since it looks very similar of what I would have posted: I gotta get out of Madison.

. . .

No, I am too cowardly and have too many people to worry about me to actually kill myself, but I am utterly depressed, and going insane (and not in a good way).

Not communicating can hurt more than any word that can be said -

Nick
-the Ranting Thespian
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2007 :  5:00:13 PM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey now, guy. That's some serious stuff there. If you need help, go to a counselor or something, there's always someone to talk to.

The unfortunate truth is that even people like me who hate suicide (a few of my family members have done themselves in, and I have no remorse) are finding less and less reasons to continue in such a fucked up world.

It's fucking hard, but the easy way out is no answer. The only way you're gonna feel better about anything is if you start doing something about just one of the things that's got you down. That's it. Soon you'll find that there are other people out there like you that feed off the positive energy of the people around them, and bask in it, and persevere because of it.

Take stock. You've been given the gift of life. Don't waste it like so many others have done and are doing.

http://db.etree.org/hopefulrollingwaves/ < My Trading List
Go to Top of Page

Ranting Thespian
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2007 :  03:52:35 AM  Show Profile  Send Ranting Thespian an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Here's some serious stuff:

I am actually diagnosed Bi-Polar, and I am on meds for it. I have people to talk to, and I have a psychiatrist. But I am also obsessive compulsive, epileptic, a screwed up immune system (it makes sugar before white blood cells, and there's a shit more weird stuff about that one), asthma, a sack of fluid around my heart (this is a new odd one that when I was diagnosed, my blood pressure would drop to the point I couldn't walk), hearing problems, sinus problems, chronic ear infections, and I was just diagnosed with Carpel Tunnel and Tendinitis.

Plus, as I said, I am not going to end my life. I couldn't bear to think of the pain it would inflict in people who do care.

I also have tried so many things, this and that, I just needed to type it down. I am just very very very down, and it has nothing to do with my Bi-Polar, just my life.

Not communicating can hurt more than any word that can be said -

Nick
-the Ranting Thespian
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2007 :  07:06:18 AM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well, alrighty then.

http://db.etree.org/hopefulrollingwaves/ < My Trading List
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000