New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2007 :  03:12:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I receive my Bachelors (BA) this Saturday. Hooray.

Come September off to grad school!

Anyone else graduating this year?

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2007 :  06:51:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CONGRATULATIONS!!! Wow, that's exciting news Ben! Where are you going form your Masters? I'm so happy for you, enjoy the day!

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2007 :  8:31:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll shall be attending Cal Poly San Luis Obispo for my masters, hopefully looking at UC Davis or Berkeley for a Ph.D.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2007 :  8:44:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome! Way to go Ben!

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

LizT
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1687 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2007 :  8:56:03 PM  Show Profile  Send LizT an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Very impressive! You should be very proud of yourself. Congrats!
Go to Top of Page

Ranting Thespian
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2007 :  01:13:37 AM  Show Profile  Send Ranting Thespian an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ah, my high school graduation. We sit in the football field, hear the speeches, and walk across the stage when our name is called. My name gets called, I walk up, get my little book for my diploma, shake hands with staff. Then I get to Joey who gave a funny speech, and someone who wasn't an ass to me, or mocked me, or put me down, or spread rumors about me having a hit-list, or that I was going to shoot up the school (not embellishing anything here). I look at his hand, and I Jump on him, he says to me, YA MADE IT! I then take my hat off, and Jump off the stage, unzip my robe, stick my hands in my pockets, and slouch in my chair. Then we are supposed to go in a circle, throw our hats up, and hug . . . fuck that, I HATE these people! I ran to my car, and left . . . the first one out of there. I made a promise never to return to that horrible treacherous soil ever again.

BEAT THAT FOR A GRADUATION STORY!

Not communicating can hurt more than any word that can be said -

Nick
-the Ranting Thespian
Go to Top of Page

Ranting Thespian
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2007 :  01:16:46 AM  Show Profile  Send Ranting Thespian an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Anyways, congrats

Nick
-the Ranting Thespian
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2007 :  03:29:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Uh...I think I'll stick with the traditional, sat in the audience, got my diploma, celebrated with my family members, girlfriend, friends, professors, colleagues, and other loved ones. That's just about perfect for me. Oh yeah, and a lot of Sierra Nevada beer.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Robin
Yak Addict

USA
598 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2007 :  10:26:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whoohooo Arthen!! Congrats many, many, many,Peace,Robin
Go to Top of Page

Ranting Thespian
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2007 :  02:29:37 AM  Show Profile  Send Ranting Thespian an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arthen

Uh...I think I'll stick with the traditional, sat in the audience, got my diploma, celebrated with my family members, girlfriend, friends, professors, colleagues, and other loved ones. That's just about perfect for me. Oh yeah, and a lot of Sierra Nevada beer.

Wimp.

Nick
-the Ranting Thespian
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2007 :  4:35:32 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Uh...I think I'll stick with the traditional, sat in the audience, got my diploma, celebrated with my family members, girlfriend, friends, professors, colleagues, and other loved ones. That's just about perfect for me. Oh yeah, and a lot of Sierra Nevada beer. straight vodka

fixed.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2007 :  7:43:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dan p.

quote:

Uh...I think I'll stick with the traditional, sat in the audience, got my diploma, celebrated with my family members, girlfriend, friends, professors, colleagues, and other loved ones. That's just about perfect for me. Oh yeah, and a lot of Sierra Nevada beer. straight vodka

fixed.

I don't know...I found a picture of me from my 21st birthday and I look pretty bright-eyed and fresh-faced. I compared it to a picture I took last week, approximately a year and a half later, I look considerably aged. I'm not saying it was the hard drinking, but my liver is, ha ha ha.

Anyways, I walked the walk and didn't stumble over myself or anything. Had a nice little BBQ with some close friends and family, and now I'm going out to do some more drinking before tonight!

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2007 :  10:53:35 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
that's probably the best way to do it. graduation parties tend to get a little extravagant, with the guests and the food. a small party is the way to go.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2007 :  01:36:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well last night was spent with copious amounts of drinking. As a result I pretty much laid all day today after four hours of vomitting this morning. Finally at 10:00pm I ate something. Now the area around my eyes are splotchy and red, throwing up is rough.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2007 :  02:29:38 AM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i never understood drinking so much you get sick the next day. it only ever happened to me once, and that was when i didn't have any idea how much i could handle.

if you really must drink that much, have a shit-ton of water before you go to bed. all that's really wrong in the morning, outside of waking up besides a transmission salesman, is dehydration. all you really need is enough water. and maybe a .357 for the salesman. dead men tell no tales.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2007 :  10:47:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah Dan, you and your anecdotes, anecdotes that always seems a little too bitterly biographical.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2007 :  11:20:41 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Congratualations!!!(on the graduation, not the vomiting!) Sorry I missed this earlier. What are you plans for the future? What area will you be residing in now that school is over, staying in Chico? Copious amounts of drinking very bad for people at your age as it seems you are discovering. OK once in a while but don't let it become a habit or addiction. YIKES! I am starting to sound like a mother. LOL Take care of yourself and once again CONGRATS, CONGRATS!!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2007 :  2:02:09 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ah Dan, you and your anecdotes, anecdotes that always seems a little too bitterly biographical.

yes, well. . .mistakes were made.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2007 :  11:31:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fluffy

Congratualations!!!(on the graduation, not the vomiting!) Sorry I missed this earlier. What are you plans for the future? What area will you be residing in now that school is over, staying in Chico? Copious amounts of drinking very bad for people at your age as it seems you are discovering. OK once in a while but don't let it become a habit or addiction. YIKES! I am starting to sound like a mother. LOL Take care of yourself and once again CONGRATS, CONGRATS!!!

Well, the vomitting resulted in a night of drinking that was an anamoly. I hadn't been out to the bars in that in a long time, which is why it hit me as hard as it did. My tolerance plummetted over the past year and it caught me off guard.

I'll be living in the Bay Area for the summer, about 20 minutes south of San Fran in San Carlos. Come September moving down to San Luis Obispo, which is three hours north of LA and three hours south of San Fran.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2007 :  11:41:34 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
What is the world coming to? I appreciate if you want to keep the peace at an event like that, but calling it a "solemn" occassion is pretty ridiculous I think. Shouldn't it be an event for celebrating the accomplishments of the students? Next, if you want to punish someone for being noisy at your "solemn" event, punish the noisy people not the people receiving their diplomas. Whole thing sounds pretty stupid to me and to require commnunity service to receive your diploma. SAD SAD SAD

Illinois Students Lose Diplomas Over Cheers
By JAN DENNIS
AP
GALESBURG, Illinois (June 2) - Caisha Gayles graduated with honors last month, but she is still waiting for her diploma. The reason: the whoops of joy from the audience as she crossed the stage.

Gayles was one of five students denied diplomas from the lone public high school in Galesburg after enthusiastic friends or family members cheered for them during commencement.

About a month before the May 27 ceremony, Galesburg High students and their parents had to sign a contract promising to act in dignified way. Violators were warned they could be denied their diplomas and barred from the after-graduation party.

Many schools across the country ask spectators to hold applause and cheers until the end of graduation. But few of them enforce the policy with what some in Galesburg say are strong-arm tactics.

In Galesburg, the issue has taken on added controversy with accusations that the students were targeted because of their race: four are black and one is Hispanic. Parents say cheers also erupted for white students, and none of them was denied a diploma.

"It was like one of the worst days of my life," said Gayles, who had a 3.4 grade-point average and officially graduated, but does not have the keepsake diploma to hang on her wall. "You walk across the stage and then you can't get your diploma because of other people cheering for you. It was devastating, actually."

School officials in Galesburg, a working-class town of 34,000 that is still reeling from the 2004 shutdown of a 1,600-employee refrigerator factory, said the get-tough policy followed a 2005 commencement where hoots, hollers and even air horns drowned out much of the ceremony and nearly touched off fights in the audience when the unruly were asked to quiet down.

"Lots of parents complained that they could not hear their own child's name called," said Joel Estes, Galesburg's assistant superintendent. "And I think that led us to saying we have to do something about this to restore some dignity and honor to the ceremony so that everyone can appreciate it and enjoy it."

In Indianapolis, public school officials this year started kicking out parents and relatives who cheer. At one school, the superintendent interrupted last month's graduation to order police to remove a woman from the gymnasium.

"It's an important, solemn occasion. There's plenty of time for celebration before and after," said Clarke Campbell, president of the Indianapolis school board.

Principal Tom Chiles said administrators who monitored the more than 2,000-seat auditorium reported only disruptions they considered "significant," and all turned in the same five names.

"Race had absolutely nothing to do with it whatsoever," Chiles said. "It is the amount of disruption at the time of the incident."

School officials said they will hear students and parents out if they appeal. Meanwhile, the school said the five students can still get their diplomas by completing eight hours of public service work, answering phones, sorting books or doing other chores for the district, situated about 150 miles southwest of Chicago.

Gayles' mother said she plans to fight the school board - in court if necessary - to get her daughter's diploma. The noise "was like three seconds. It was like, `Yay,' and that was it," Carolyn Gayles said.

American Civil Liberties Union spokesman Edward Yohnka said Galesburg's policy raises no red flags as long as it is enforced equitably. "It's probably well within the school's ability to control the decorum at an event like this," he said.

Another student who was denied her diploma, Nadia Trent, said she will probably let the school keep it if her appeals fail.

"It's not fair. Somebody could not like me and just decide to yell to get me in trouble. I can't control everyone, just the ones I gave tickets to," Trent said.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2007 :  12:19:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, I receive my Bachelors (BA) this Saturday. Hooray.

Congratulations, Arthen! Sorry I missed this earlier. (It must run in the family.) Have fun in the Bay Area and then San Luis Obispo.

Maybe you can explore the wonders of wine during grad school since you seem to have beat the dead horse of beer. ;-)

teri
Twittering about the DC adventure since Dec '09...
(Micro)Blog * Photo Album
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2007 :  12:27:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fluffy

About a month before the May 27 ceremony, Galesburg High students and their parents had to sign a contract promising to act in dignified way. Violators were warned they could be denied their diplomas and barred from the after-graduation party.

Many schools across the country ask spectators to hold applause and cheers until the end of graduation. But few of them enforce the policy with what some in Galesburg say are strong-arm tactics.

That is just crazy. Maybe some of those kids went through a lot to graduate and whooping was warranted. I agree with Fluffy, when you can't even celebrate your kid's graduation, the world is getting depressing.

teri
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2007 :  12:51:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I understand the policy, because excessive yelling can ruin a special moment for someone else, but I hate when there is no flexibility in rules. Why punish kids who can't control what goes on in a crowd? That is so unfair! They should have had "ushers" tell them to be quiet. Like the one girl said, you could have someone who hates you yell when your name is called just to be mean. It seems to me they would have some legal rights to get their diplomas.

A similar thing happened in my school yesterday. Last night was the 9th grade dance, which isn't a big deal unless you are a 9th grader. It is the most important thing in many of their lives.

Yesterday was HOT, in the mid 90's, and very humid. The kids were told at lunch not to get in trouble that day or they wouldn't be able to attend the dance. (That was the first STUPID event. Why should yesterday be any different from any other day?)

Later in the day six of the 9th grade students had gym and for whatever reason, some said they didn't know where their class was at,(there are at least 4 gym classes going on at any given time) some said they were hot and feeling ill, I don't know what all the "reasons" were, but whatever, they chose to sit outside the gym in the shade in a group. All the gym classes were outside. Anyway, the teacher wrote them all up for cutting class and the principal.....some "pal" he is.....told them all they couldn't attend the dance. They told one girl if she acts up about it she can't come back to school for the rest of the year! I just love it when education is used as a punishment!

One girl just got her braces off the day before. She is a great kid, never in trouble. She just cried hysterically!

They didn't just punish these kids, they punished their dates/friends, their families. Dresses were bought, flowers and tickets were paid for, hair appointments had been made. Some of their parents made special work arrangements to see their child go to the dance. This is one of the few dances open to all 9th grade students, they don't need dates in fact many just go with a group of friends.

They could have given the kids one or two detentions next week, what was the big deal? The teacher didn't report them missing during the class. Normally that is what we do, then call the office to find out if the student(s) left school early for some reason, or if they are at the nurses office, and if not, then we get a hall monitor to look for them. None of that was done.

I can't wait for the school year to end!

Go to Top of Page

Robin
Yak Addict

USA
598 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2007 :  4:13:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a ridiculous over reaction, along with that graduation post by Fluffy, I can't think of anything more stupid. Let's teach kids to be robots and force someone's twisted idea of order along with it. And random punishment for all! This is another reason my kid is part of an independant study program. School is a messed up place these days. A refelction of our society at large.... Peace, Robin
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2007 :  11:55:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, at my ceremony the students acted like complete idiots. I wasn't dissapointed because I had been expecting this. Tons came drunk or stoned. Many took off their gowns during the ceremony. Many drank in the middle of the ceremony. Many left after their name was called, but before the actual ceremony was over. It's only a state school, but still, I can't believe how many people acted so ignorant and idiotic. Show some diginity and discipline when accepting a degree that took four+ years to earn.

I look forward to my Master's ceremony which will be much more serious and dignified.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2007 :  12:25:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Gee, why did I bail on college again? Oh yeah, Ben's last post.

http://db.etree.org/hopefulrollingwaves/ < My Trading List
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  9:19:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hopeful Rolling Waves

Gee, why did I bail on college again? Oh yeah, Ben's last post.

My solace was to be found in the facts that I didn't know 99.5% of them and only had to associate with about 2% of them on a regular basis. The best time about my college days at Chico State: my close friends, being an RA, and my professors. On their own, my upper division professors would have made the whole damn thing worth while.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2007 :  2:24:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, at my ceremony the students acted like complete idiots. I wasn't dissapointed because I had been expecting this. Tons came drunk or stoned. Many took off their gowns during the ceremony. Many drank in the middle of the ceremony. Many left after their name was called, but before the actual ceremony was over. It's only a state school, but still, I can't believe how many people acted so ignorant and idiotic. Show some diginity and discipline when accepting a degree that took four+ years to earn.

How many people were there? I went to a Cornell graduation once and it was WAY too big. Apparently each college had its own private ceremony (which I missed, I guess) and then the whole school got together on the football field for one giant one where people in the same department stood up, were recognized verbally, and then sat back down.

At my commencement, each one of us (both undergraduates and graduate students) went up on the stage, shook the hand of the president of the school, and received our diploma. (We even turned in pieces of paper with our names spelled phonetically so each one would be announced properly.) But then we had less than 2000 people so it didn't take *that* long.

Perhaps people feel like they can get drunk if they know they don't have to go up on a stage and make a fool of themselves in front of thousands of people? Just a thought. I could also be that they are "ignorant and idiotic" as you say. Sad sad sad.

teri
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000