New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Zack
Try A Little Harder

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2007 :  1:12:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recently saw Tim at in PA at the River St. Jazz Cafe...terrifically amazing show! Opened with loose interpretations into a smooth chatterbox full of great changes. Great set list, as well as tone! I spoke to his tech man ( I had a great view of Tim's setup) and he said Tim was using a fishman platinum DI/preamp...I'm wondering:

1.)How does this Fishman compare to other brands of preamps? (any
personal experiences of quality preamps?)

2.)Does Tim run the preamp into a "dry" aura, meaning the pickup
settings are at 0, so he's really just preamping in to
the "blend" aspect of the aura.

HELP!

***I trust in TR's choices for tone!

Zack

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2007 :  1:50:37 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
As for how it compares I can't really say. All I know for sure is that we got TR the Fishman as a quick replacement for his SansAmp Acoustic DI when he forgot one at home and we went to Guitar Center to get a replacement and they didn't have a SansAmp so we bought the Fishman just to get us thru the next few shows. That nite, after the Fishmans first use TR told me we needed to get another one ASAP. He was really happy with the Fishman and we had discovered that by accident. TR had always sworn by the SansAmp and was not anxious to try something new but it turned out to be good thing. Next day we went and bought another Fishman and he has sworn by it ever since.

As for the Aura, the guitar goes into the Aura first and then thru the pedal series for each guitar and then to the Fishman DI out to the board. My understanding is that the EQ settings on the Fishman DI are bypassed in TR's setup. He just uses it as a DI for the soundman to plug into. The Aura is responsible for the tone. Hope this helps.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

Zack
Try A Little Harder

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2007 :  2:35:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for taking the time to answer! It's greatly appreciated! You answered everything i needed. I appreciate the knowledge of the placement of the DI. I'm trying a fishman DI with my aura.

Keep up the great work TR and crew! Looking forward to more great shows!

Zack
Go to Top of Page

Ranting Thespian
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2007 :  12:42:02 AM  Show Profile  Send Ranting Thespian an AOL message  Reply with Quote
the Aura is a miracle. Especially when Tim signed it ;) .

Not communicating can hurt more than any word that can be said -

Nick
-the Ranting Thespian
Go to Top of Page

Alejandro Romero
Is Anybody Here?

Argentina
2 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2012 :  06:05:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I Think maybe the Fishman Platinum DI/Pre EQ and compressor is not always bypassed on TR setup, I saw a lot of pics where the XLR pre/post switch is set to POST, so Eq, compressor and notch are active on the chain. Even I can see almost always the same slighty "V" shape eq'ing.
I saw this setup for both guitars setups, 6 and 12 platinum boxes.
Asking myself if tim use Eq and compression on both Aura Blender and Platinum Pre/DI.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000