Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 Saw Leo Kottke in Harrisburg Last Nite...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2007 :  09:36:52 AM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Now everybody fucking listen...

If any of you have a chance to see Leo, check him out, you will NOT be disappointed. He played a great set (including memorable tunes Ojo, Air Proofing 2, Rings, etc) and some great tracks I've never heard but will hunt down for sure. Worth every second of the 2 hour drive. If you want impetus to go, check out his Home and Away DVD, you'll be an instant fan. (check out: I Yell At Traffic, Everybody Lies, The Ice Fields) His opener David Lindley was also good. A bit hampered by silly song writing, but amusing nonetheless.

Also, if TR hasn't soaked up every last bit of LK possible, then I'll shit a pickle. Way too many similarities in playing style. TR and Leo jam? Fuggeddaboudit.

http://db.etree.org/hopefulrollingwaves/ < My Trading List

gnome44
Yak Addict

749 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2007 :  10:42:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also attended the show...and I have to agree with most of HRW's points.

Leo was incredible! It almost seemed that he talked more than he played...but maybe that's just because I wanted him to play more! Great set, great performance, great performer. He's worth seeing because he's one of the greatest guitarists in the world...but also because he's someone you "should" see. Like Ravi Shankar or Bob Dylan. He's a must.

David Lindley, for me, was the highlight of the night. I hadn't known anything about him before attending. Indeed, two of his songs were silly...but they were still great songs. He did two Zevon covers which were incredible. And a Springsteen song. I hate Bruce, but this version was great ("Brothers Under the Bridge").

As an encore the two of them did a bluesy jam thing of Blind Willie Johnson's. Great show.

I missed you HRW. Where'd you sit? I figured I'd spot you since it was a relatively small venue. We were in the 5th row, (real row, not the seats up front) dead center.

Oh well, looks like you missed an opportunity to meet a really great person.
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2007 :  11:37:39 AM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
AHAHA, we were left mezzanine and EVERYONE there had beard, so we said F it. We were in the lobby for a bit afterwards, but to no avail, I suppose. Oh well, catch you at the next TR show then!

Zevon's 'Seminole Bingo' was great though. He was funny, and a great musician, just didn't capture my soul like Leo does.

Go to Top of Page

gnome44
Yak Addict

749 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2007 :  12:19:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I noticed all of the beards too. I kept thinking, "Man, I hope he doesn't think that's me!"

I was the really cool looking one...
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2007 :  6:08:54 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey gnome, happy you discovered David Lindley, he is absolutely amazing. You should check out some of his El Rayo-X stuff. For anyone who thinks I am talking out my ass, just don't take my word for it, check out his list of credits on his discography page. Obviously alot of top notch performers value his amazing skills as well.

http://www.davidlindley.com/

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2007 :  4:39:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
For anyone who thinks I am talking out my ass, just don't take my word for it...

Jeez, Fluffy, I think we can all take your advice when it comes to music.

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2007 :  5:37:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I was just advancing the show in Woodstock and we got to chatting and they mentioned that David Lindley had just been there doing a solo performance. They said it was unbelieveable and that he was absolutely wonderful to deal with. I love when I hear that awesome musicians are also good people to deal with as well.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

Robin
Yak Addict

USA
598 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2007 :  6:39:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Fluffy wholeheartedly on this,
David Lindley IS amazing. I've been lucky enough to catch a lot of El Rayo X shows when that was his band. He plays here often and I've talked with him many TIMes as well. He travels all over the world and brings back intruments you've never seen.He is funny and incredibly talented. I'd really love to see him and TR on a stage together. Peace, Robin
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  10:24:33 AM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yah, he had some SERIOUS instruments on stage with him.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000