Stropes Tablature
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gnome44
Yak Addict

749 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  08:55:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone ever purchased any sheet music/tablature from Stropes?

I bought the Leo Kottke book Eight Songs...it was only $10.00 so I couldn't pass that up (it should be arriving in a few days).

I've been thinking about buying Michael Hedges' Rhythm, Sonority, Silence book too. It's costs a bit more, and I was wondering if it was worth it. I'd imagine it would be pretty difficult to accurately write-out Michael's music.

Any thoughts?

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  09:51:17 AM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Weird man, I just bought one yesterday. They are supposedly the shit though, I hear that John's transcriptions are known to be generally flawless, I wouldn't worry about the quality from what I've seen.

http://db.etree.org/hopefulrollingwaves/ < My Trading List
Go to Top of Page

gnome44
Yak Addict

749 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  10:14:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I'm pretty sure once I get the Kottke book that I'll end up buying the Hedges book too.

I'm not crazy about some of the tunings on the songs in the Hedges book...but I'm interested in reading the stuff written by Michael at the beginning.

Let me know what you think about it once you get yours...
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  1:59:45 PM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I will, it's just the single transcription of Kottke's The Ice Fields, but it should be a good indicator of what they're capable of.

Go to Top of Page

gnome44
Yak Addict

749 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  2:27:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really weird, man. I had first looked at Stropes for only one reason...getting the transcription of "Ice Fields". It was $10.00 so I figured I'd just get the book instead.

I have the "Home and Away" DVD so I've been able to figure out a good bit of "Ice Fields". That's got to be one of my all-time favorite songs. It's so dynamic...and the beginning is beautiful.

If you like it, I'll go ahead and buy it too.
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  2:50:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Fuck that, I'll send you a copy, you are buying 2 books from them. And actually the tab found on 911tabs is a very good starting point, I've learned a good bit of the song from that.

That is weird, man. Prolly around the same time we we're looking too. *Twilight Zone music plays*

Go to Top of Page

gnome44
Yak Addict

749 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  3:07:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe we're soul mates!?
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  3:17:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Sweet mother of

Go to Top of Page

gnome44
Yak Addict

749 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  3:21:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, maybe not.
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  3:46:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
AHAHA, yah I am pretty sure my soulmate isn't another dude. I'm not Ted Haggard...ZINGER!

Go to Top of Page

JemezFoodPeople
Chatterbox

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  6:03:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit JemezFoodPeople's Homepage  Send JemezFoodPeople an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I got the MH book and enjoyed it very much (it was worth it to me just for the transcription of Aerial Boundaries). The book is really interesting.
I also got a transcription of While She Sleeps by Billy McLaughlin. Really good quality.

"Do you have the patience to wait
till your mud settles and the water is clear?
Can you remain unmoving
till the right action arises by itself?"
-Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

www.mattwinn.com
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  6:15:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Maybe it's just more of that SYCHRONICITY I am always speaking of.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

gnome44
Yak Addict

749 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  6:16:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great news! Now I have to find the strength to wait for it!

By the way, I'm seeing Leo tomorrow evening in Harrisburg. It'll be my first Kottke concert. To say I'm psyched is a vast understatement.

I vascillate between Leo and TR as my favorite guitarist/composer.
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  6:33:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fluffy

Maybe it's just more of that SYCHRONICITY I am always speaking of.

Yes, you and Sting! Ha ha ha. (Old Joke, I know)

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  7:09:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'm going too! Guess we'll see you there!

Go to Top of Page

gnome44
Yak Addict

749 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  7:56:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you're serious, I'm frightened.
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  8:01:09 PM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I am serious, my friend Laura and I are going, driving 2 and a half hours. May be the weirdest ever...

Go to Top of Page

gnome44
Yak Addict

749 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  8:13:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh my GOD! I'm going with a girl named Laura too!! And I'm driving 2 hours!

Just kidding. Her name is NOT Laura...but I do have a 2 hour drive.

Wanna bet that we'll end up sitting next to each other?

I'm black. 6'8" and weigh roughly 380 lbs. I have a mohawk and a pierced nose that connects to my nipples. I'll be the guy wearing spandex shorts with a sweater (tucked in) and velcro shoes.

See you there!
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  8:18:54 PM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'll wear my TR Task Force t-shirt, maybe you'll see me. (black shirt, white alien head)

Small world.

Go to Top of Page

gnome44
Yak Addict

749 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  8:23:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, I think I may know what you look like.

Let me begin by saying I'm not a stalker or a general "weirdo".

Last year at the Recher Theatre in Towson, MD someone was taping the show. That someone asked me to "hold their spot" in the front. I was deeply honored. After the show, I believe it was you that posted that you had taped the show. 1 + 1 = 2. I think that the "spot holder" guy was you.

I'm actually white. 5' 7". And since I don't have a TR Task Force shirt, I guess I'll just wear something less interesting. Poor me.

Godspeed.

EDIT: Actually, now that I think of it...that might not have been you. Really, I think I remember you from a taping you did at the Jazz Street Cafe in Wilkes-Barre, PA. I make a habit of "seeing" who's taping the shows...just to try to put a face to people on the board. Whatever...I'll just look for the Task Force shirt.
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  8:52:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I was at both of those, and taped towards the middle of the venue for each. Some other kid taped Recher too and fucking stole my tapes and never did anything with them.

My name is Jared, 6' 175-ish, I have a beard, wear a black winter hat, and will have a gorgeous girl on my arm. AHAHA We should meet though, us board members are few and far between. I know, I'll wear shorts, prolly be the only idiot there with them on. I can bring you a TR DVD if you like...list is in sig...

Go to Top of Page

gnome44
Yak Addict

749 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  07:49:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My name is Eric. I'm short and have a beard...I look like the coolest human being ever. Otherwise I don't have any discernable features. I'll look for you, I guess.

Thanks for the DVD offer, but nothing really jumped out at me. I have a million things to do this morning, so I don't really have the time to dig around. Maybe some other time...
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  08:44:25 AM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
AHAHA, no problemo. What a shit day for all that diving. Raining out like crazy.

Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  6:08:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Stropes tablature is the fucking shizznitosnipsnapzap. I will buy more, guaranteed.

Go to Top of Page

gnome44
Yak Addict

749 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  6:25:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I just got mine too! At first glance they seem really, really great. You get the both standard and tablature notation...very helpful. And the study notes help with anything difficult.

HRW, I haven't had a chance to spend too much time with the 911tabs for Ice Field yet. I've been busy cleaning up a few last-minute songs that I want to record before I move to Austin...and away from the studio.

Let me know if there's much of a difference between the Stropes and 911 version.
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  6:34:32 PM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Um, the Stropes is 16 pages, I'll get you a copy. The 911tabs one is good, but incomplete.

Thats sucks, you're just missing Leo in Austin by a couple weeks, too. Bummer!

Go to Top of Page

gnome44
Yak Addict

749 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2007 :  09:38:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, thanks man. No hurry. I've got plenty to work on.

And about Leo/Tim...yeah, it's the story of my life...nothing ever works out for me.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000