Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 42-string guitar.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  04:13:39 AM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
So I'm listening to the new Pat Metheny cd, and reading the liner notes and it says on one song that he plays a "42-string guitar". I thought there is no way that it is actually a 42-string guitar, so I googled it, and it exists:

god
Kevin

sciphish
Chatterbox

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  06:21:35 AM  Show Profile  Send sciphish an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yeah I think I saw something where they were talking about how they made it custom. I guess it's for a particular song? I'm not convinced that this thing is A) practical and B) even sounds decent. Stuff like this is all gimmick to me. I'm sorry, but Hedges and his harp guitar are enough for me.

I'm almost there...
Go to Top of Page

rubylith
Fluffy-Esque

1915 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  09:37:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit rubylith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Something like that can get you beat up.
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  09:38:21 AM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, that thing is dumb.

http://db.etree.org/hopefulrollingwaves/ < My Trading List
Go to Top of Page

sciphish
Chatterbox

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  12:24:54 PM  Show Profile  Send sciphish an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Sometimes it seems that musicians are more in touch with reality, and other times (like this for example) it seems they have no contact with reality. I mean really, WTF?!

I'm almost there...
Go to Top of Page

rubylith
Fluffy-Esque

1915 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  12:38:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit rubylith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
what do you call a guy who hangs out with musicians?

a drummer!
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  12:59:26 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
that thing is caplital r retarded. look at how the strings from the 12 string part overlap right over the sound holes of the other two. suppose i didn't want to play that close to bridge. what if i wanted to play with a darker tone, but not completely sul tasto? i can't because there's goddamned strings right where i'd want to play.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  4:40:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ladies and gentlemen, before Dan edits his mistake, let it be known he typed "caplital r retarded." A real gem, because, as you can see, he has not only spelled 'capital' wrong; he hasn't even capitalized the 'R' himself. What a weak 'dis,' still weakened further by a syntactic nightmare. Your thoughts, Bob?

Well, let's face it, Art; he blew it bigtime there. Back to you.

Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2007 :  12:09:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That thing is lamer than Dan's metal collection.

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Erich
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1427 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2007 :  1:40:06 PM  Show Profile  Send Erich an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I soldered a banjo, ukulele, and viola to a flower pot. I wrote an entire album of material with it. Im naming it "Room For Squares"

quote:
Originally posted by rubylith

what do you call a guy who hangs out with musicians?

a drummer!

what has 9 arms and sucks?

Def Leopard.

~pw'oikr
~( ">
Go to Top of Page

rubylith
Fluffy-Esque

1915 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2007 :  1:41:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit rubylith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
INSANE!
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2007 :  3:44:20 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
screw you guys. my metal collection is robust and of the highest quality. for further information, i will refer you to this text-base depiction of me flipping the horns: \m/ \m/

i heard that hrw can't have an orgasm unless he kills a dog. that's just something i heard somewhere.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

gnome44
Yak Addict

749 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2007 :  11:16:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know, I agree that the instrument is kind of silly...but Pat makes some great music with it. Is it all schtick? I don't think so. If it were some 15 year old turd trying to make music on it, I might agree...but Metheny's got the clout to handle something like that.
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2007 :  12:38:03 AM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
yeah, metheny can use it. but we're talking about for humans.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Ranting Thespian
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2007 :  01:17:53 AM  Show Profile  Send Ranting Thespian an AOL message  Reply with Quote
This is the story behind this guitar.

Pat actualy asked a luthier to design a guitar with as many strings as possible. Over time, he came up with this 42 string design, and made it just for him. It is used rarely, and still is played to this day.

I have a friend who saw him last year, and he played this exact guitar onstage. He said it was a mondboggling experience seeing him play that thing. He can actualy get a good and amazing sound out of it. I must say, seeing the guitar, I am surprised that it gets a good sound. My friend play me a cd where he used this guitar, and it was very impressive. Very big and bold sound!

Not communicating can hurt more than any word that can be said -

Nick
-the Ranting Thespian
Go to Top of Page

sciphish
Chatterbox

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2007 :  02:31:28 AM  Show Profile  Send sciphish an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Lies... these are all lies!

I am not responsible for any remarks.

I'm almost there...
Go to Top of Page

dirtysloth
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1302 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2007 :  08:56:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq9EmRF9pFA
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2007 :  5:23:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey Kev, see my post in this thread:

http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5126

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  09:16:10 AM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
So long, Fido!

Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  5:33:33 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
disturbing.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Infant Eyes
Try A Little Harder

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  6:31:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ya I think I have the DVD that video is from. It might still be on my hard drive. I'd have to look. I think it's from his trio with Christian McBride and Antonio Sanchez. All three of them are scary good.

I think no matter how gimmicky this could be Pat makes music with it. I remember hearing him say he just sat and looked at the thing for the first year or six months when he got it because he didn't want to even try to figure out how to play it. What's cool is that he can play music on it. The lesson for me is that it's you that make the noise and not the instrument.

I would hate to have to tune the thing though. He probably hires a guy to keep it tuned.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000