Pets: A Whole New Set of Societal Dilemmas
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  3:30:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ok, I never want to have pets. This is a personal choice, I am not against others having pets; pets make some people happy. What I do have a problem with is the amount of resources that are now going into feeding and entertaining animals.

I am staying with an old friend of mine right now. He has 2 cats and 2 dogs, they are well-behaved and do not bother the piss out of me. I am fine with this. However, he opened up a can of wet food for the cats and I'll be God-damned if there weren't real tuna and shrimp in that smelly shit.

Are you fucking kidding me? I pay top dollar to occasionally eat seafood, as it is a great source of fat and protein. Why the fuck is real seafood in animal food? Forget the fact that animals are now being subject to healthier food than humans, there are people dying of starvation, for Christ's sake.

Our oceans are being polluted and over-fished so Fido can have what can only be described as completely unreasonable fare? I mean the frustration I felt when I saw that was unbelievable. Call me naive, but I don't have pets; and I don't know what's put into the shit fed to them; but this is just outrageous.

In addition, the amount of plastic and other materials that go into 'entertainment' for animals is equally as disgraceful. They have a whole bin in the house for toys for these simple-minded creatures. Now visualize the incredible amount of shit sitting on store shelves all over the U.S. in Petco's, Walmarts, and other retailers. It boggles the mind. Is this necessary? Or is it yet another way companies have learned to prey on what little real compassion humans have left.

This leads me to another related point. My family is extremely guilty of this: people will sit around talking about their pets for inordinate periods of time. What they did that day, the funny trouble they've gotten into, their various 'moods', idiosyncracies, etc. America's Funnies Pet Videos. Kill me now. I mean, as if sports and reality television weren't sucking enough complex thought out of daily conversation; is this making things any better? Maybe for a 5 year old. A passing comment here or there, maybe, but we talking about serious pontification over bags of fur that exist mainly to shit, eat, and be petted.

Also, there is fucking hair EVERYWHERE.

Thoughts?

http://db.etree.org/hopefulrollingwaves/ < My Trading List

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  3:52:46 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
oh no! you didn't offer a solution! better edit it before infant eyes has a fit and tries to prove how smart he is by bringing up other issues.

i've noticed this, too. the premise for your argument, though, is that animals do not deserve the same level of care and quality of life as a human. while i agree, there are just a ton of people who would object. also, some people are really fucking lonely and dote on their pets so much because they're the only thing they have.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  4:02:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
For some, yes, Dan. But that is the exception, not the rule.

I think my solution is inherent in my post. Less animal toys, and food healthy for the animals, but not to the excess of feeding them other animals valuable to the planet's ecosystem.

Not a balck and white problem, but obvious improvements could be made.

Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  4:03:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Animals (other than people, I'm aware we're animals so don't bring up the humans are animals argument) are better than people. They aren't racist and they don't start wars, etc, etc. In general, I meet nicer animals than people, and they don't piss me off nearly a quarter as much as people do. People who spend to much money on their animals are out of control, however. Especially with the animal therapy/psychiatrists/etc. I just like going hiking or for a walk with my old dog. I grew up with her and there's a lot of positive memories. Animals can contribute a sense of family and belonging to people. That's why movies like My Dog Skip have such resonation with certain people.

By the way, well played Dan.

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  4:08:45 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
funny story. back when i worked in a grocery store, i was in the deli, and this guy comes up and wants a half pound of no-salt turkey. so i say, "yes. we have one kind of no salt turkey." i show it to him, and he says it doesn't look right. i end up, with saintly patience, showing every goddamned slice of turkey in the store. the line's getting long, and i've been dealing with this guy for a solid 10 minutes. finally he says "i'm sorry. my cat is very particular." i could even breathe. finally i said "your cat? your cat. we've held the line up because you're looking for just the right cold cut for your cat. get out. you're banned from this deli. cat food is in isle 6." i could feel my pulse throbbing in my eye lids.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

jsemon2
Yak Addict

USA
920 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  4:08:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit jsemon2's Homepage  Send jsemon2 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
uhm, so there is another type of food for animals besides dry food? are you fucking kidding me? youre getting pissed over the fact that besides only having dry food, there is a wet-based food for them as well?!?!

no, it is a shame that regardless of what we feed our pets that is entirely way too much fucking food in america. lets not overlook the real point of what you are saying.

OUT FOR LUNCH
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  4:12:18 PM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Dan, that's the shit I am talking about.

John, I don't understand your post.

Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  4:16:27 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i think getting "wet food" for your dog or whatever is fine, but this shit has gone too far. they have frozen treats for dogs now. ok? it's ice cream, and it's for dogs. that's the kind of thing i think hrw is trying to communicate. i know dogs who have more toys than i had as a child, and i was a spoiled little brat.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

jsemon2
Yak Addict

USA
920 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  4:18:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit jsemon2's Homepage  Send jsemon2 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
it just seems you are upset that cats and dogs have two option of food, dry food or wet food.

honestly there is not a lot to chose from. maybe on good isle in a grocery store or something. petco and places like that most of their stock are animals or shit for fish/rep. tanks.

to me it is just night and day trying to compare the shit cats and dogs have to eat compared to the shit we have to choose from everyday.

OUT FOR LUNCH
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  4:19:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with those things. I feed my animal dry kibble, maybe the occasional scoop of cottage cheese because it is good for her coat, but that's the extent. She might get a scrap or two from dinner that would have been otherwise discarded, but no fucking spoiling like your story Dan. That boils my blood as well.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

jsemon2
Yak Addict

USA
920 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  4:19:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit jsemon2's Homepage  Send jsemon2 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dan p.

i think getting "wet food" for your dog or whatever is fine, but this shit has gone too far. they have frozen treats for dogs now. ok? it's ice cream, and it's for dogs. that's the kind of thing i think hrw is trying to communicate. i know dogs who have more toys than i had as a child, and i was a spoiled little brat.

haha, come on. seriously not very many place even carry that. and it is ONE, yes ONE treat compared to what, a whole isle for humans of just ice cream and novelties?

and yes, it seems odd to have dog icecream, but they do that for zoo anaimals. big ice cubes of food for the bears.

OUT FOR LUNCH
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  4:20:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jsemon2

it just seems you are upset that cats and dogs have two option of food, dry food or wet food.

Maybe he's partially mad because you have more choices on dog food than one has in a "democratic" election.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  4:25:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ha, look at the canned pet food section...it's astounding.

I am in Seattle right now, there is a dog bakery. There should not be a dog bakery.

Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  4:25:50 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
that humans have too many food choices can't be denied, you're right. but what to do about that? do we give animals an equal amount of toys and food? or do we cut back on our own material excess? also, humans treat food differently from other animals. food for other animals is what is needed for survival. it's purely utilitarian. on the other hand, humans have elevated food to an art form, and it's often a social tool. we take more leisurely enjoyment from it, i think. so it's to be expected that food for humans will be more involved.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

jsemon2
Yak Addict

USA
920 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  4:30:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit jsemon2's Homepage  Send jsemon2 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i personally dont see the issue. some people look at their pets as a hobby as another would look at model building or quilting, and they have entire stores dedicated to those hobbies as well.

so maybe it is more of an issue on where people are spending their money at? i dont know, just a thought

but i will say this:

I CANNOT STAND FOR THIS!!!

OUT FOR LUNCH
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  4:33:59 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
haha. oh man.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  4:47:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I can't stand fake pearls either...

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  10:10:13 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You know you all love pearl necklaces...

I can't stand people talking about either their pets or their kids. Though since I have a pet, and probably will never have kids, at least I can relate to that discussion.
Go to Top of Page

Robin
Yak Addict

USA
598 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  10:30:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OMG! I love Dachsunds, sorry they are just too cute. As for animals beng treated better than humans, I have to say that animals are at the whims of humans, many of whom have no business owning them. I volunteer at a horse sanctuary and we have ninety-seven horses and burros that have been rescued, many from the worst kind of hell that you could never believe possible. The amazing thing to me is that they even give me the time of day after the horrific abuse they have been through.
That's kind of the magical thing about animals.
When I see the rainforest being devastated and the species being crowded out by us, I get so sad in my heart, because the animals they have no choice, they cannot complain only endure and move on. It's true that there are too many choices and too much plastic but much of the pet food industry is a way for big corporations to dump thier waste products.Feet, feathers etc. thus calling it poultry by-product in pet food and saving a bundle by not having to dispose but put it in feed for pets. It compromises the health of animals.
My horses are living the life they are entitled to as sentient beings. I have a rabbit, an inredibly enchanting creature, and he makes me smile and laugh out loud, it's nice to have a pet if you give it a good life.
This is getting on the TIMe for people to start thinking of easter bunnies,and chicks and they always end up getting disposed of at the shelters (if they are lucky)we are such a disposable society, and pampering pets is the least of it. Peace, Robin
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  11:09:39 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I totally agree, especially with your comment about people who have no business owning animals. I saw one today when I was on a walk with my dog. A man was walking a pit bull, or should I say it was walking him...and lunging at every smaller dog and child that got near it while he struggled to hang on to the leash. I know it gets worse than that, but I can't stand dog owners that have no control over their dogs, regardless of the dog's size.

I watch that animal rescue show on animal planet sometimes and the conditions that some people have their animals in are just disgusting.
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2007 :  6:47:26 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
OMG ITS SO CUTE AMINALS R PEOPLE TO LOL!

so dog shows. that's some shit that has to stop. loving your pet is one thing. that's fine. but like, the sort of fixation necessary to actually put your pet in a contest like is unhealthy. also, what's with carrying your dog around in one of those little purse things? let the dog walk. treating your pets like pets is good. treating them like a very close human friend is not.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2007 :  02:26:25 AM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, and marginally less demented than kiddie beauty shows.

Another distraction to already feeble American minds is not needed.

Go to Top of Page

rubylith
Fluffy-Esque

1915 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2007 :  10:54:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit rubylith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My dogs HATE HRW. The Akita Kiesha, barks at nothing...except him...and sometimes my brother Rich. Lucy, pictured below, always bothers him as well.

Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2007 :  11:14:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rubylith

My dogs HATE HRW. The Akita Kiesha, barks at nothing...except him...and sometimes my brother Rich. Lucy, pictured below, always bothers him as well.

Great looking dog Dave! And dogs can sense evil, that's why they don't like HRW.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Robin
Yak Addict

USA
598 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2007 :  1:24:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a beautiful dog, and who the hell said anyone in this thread advocated for treating animals like humans?! I think your dog would hate Dan P.maybe even bite him HA! Peace, Robin
Go to Top of Page

rubylith
Fluffy-Esque

1915 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2007 :  1:37:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit rubylith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Haha yea Lucy's a sweetheart. Eat's a lot of my stuff but she's worth it. We also have a blue pitbull and an Akita (130lbs).
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2007 :  2:18:50 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
actually, every dog i've ever been in close quarters with has tried to bite me. the ones i walk by all bark at me. animals in general hate me. even a seagull bit me once.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2007 :  2:22:14 PM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That's because they know if it were up to you and I, they'd never get table scraps.

Go to Top of Page

Muskrat
Chatterbox

USA
266 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2007 :  11:08:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Muskrat's Homepage  Send Muskrat an AOL message  Reply with Quote
One of my friend's families owns a black lab. Once, before a day trip to the beach, they took it for a ride in the car up and down the road they live on, "so he wouldn't feel left out".

I thought they were joking, so I laughed.

They weren't.

I laughed harder.

"You know, if you live long enough, eventually you're gonna die." -Words of wisdom from my dad
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000