Finally, some videos
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JemezFoodPeople
Chatterbox

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  9:29:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit JemezFoodPeople's Homepage  Send JemezFoodPeople an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey everyone
I finally caught up to the rest of the world and uploaded some videos on YouTube. Check them out and let me know what you think!

Legacy - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSyPyfLQH6U

Bounce - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4xxQPKvqY8

Moscow Skyline - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWWzuMkqKTY

Ditched - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRsBuvO1Lz0

-Matt

"Do you have the patience to wait
till your mud settles and the water is clear?
Can you remain unmoving
till the right action arises by itself?"
-Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

www.mattwinn.com

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  10:14:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome Matt! I forgot how much fun it is watching you play the guitar. Thanks so much for sharing!

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

jsemon2
Yak Addict

USA
920 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  10:47:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit jsemon2's Homepage  Send jsemon2 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
uhm, is it not cool to play acoustic guitar normally anymore? no offense but i cant stand this kaki king shit, it is all the rave these days.

OUT FOR LUNCH
Go to Top of Page

JemezFoodPeople
Chatterbox

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2007 :  01:05:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit JemezFoodPeople's Homepage  Send JemezFoodPeople an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I don't know what kaki king has to do with anything. When I saw her play, she played conventionally about 95% of the time. I've got ideas, and I carried them out how i saw fit. Perhaps you'd like some of the more laid back stuff I've been doing for the new record.

Can you remain unmoving
-Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

www.mattwinn.com
Go to Top of Page

JemezFoodPeople
Chatterbox

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2007 :  01:06:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit JemezFoodPeople's Homepage  Send JemezFoodPeople an AOL message  Reply with Quote
oh oh oh post 300!

Can you remain unmoving
-Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

www.mattwinn.com
Go to Top of Page

rubylith
Fluffy-Esque

1915 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2007 :  01:14:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit rubylith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You rule hands down.
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2007 :  09:34:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
uhm, is it not cool to play acoustic guitar normally anymore? no offense but i cant stand this kaki king shit, it is all the rave these days.

Which is why music is so great, there is so much diversity that if you don't like one style there's plenty of others out there to listen to. I for one love that style and hearing Matt play at Grape Street in Philly was one of my all time favorite shows.

I am also a huge fan of Dave Cahill's and I think it's pretty damn cool that board members share their work here.

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

jsemon2
Yak Addict

USA
920 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2007 :  12:16:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit jsemon2's Homepage  Send jsemon2 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
it meant the style of hammering down everything.....

and for the style you showcased, it was awesome. just not my style. i'm more a pick, strumming guitar listener.

OUT FOR LUNCH
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2007 :  2:33:53 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Nice stuff. Do you gig a lot with your solo acoustic stuff?
Go to Top of Page

JemezFoodPeople
Chatterbox

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2007 :  8:52:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit JemezFoodPeople's Homepage  Send JemezFoodPeople an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I don't do a whole lot of gigging anymore since I am super busy with work, teaching, and trying to get a PhD. Sometimes, though, a golden opportunity for a perfect gig comes up (*couch cough* April 4!), and I LOVE to play. If I had the choice, I'd gig all the time.

by the way, I put a new song up - Stampede
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OKa15np_zY

Can you remain unmoving
-Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

www.mattwinn.com
Go to Top of Page

Ranting Thespian
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2007 :  01:21:24 AM  Show Profile  Send Ranting Thespian an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jsemon2

. . . cant stand this kaki king shit . . .

In her interivew in Guitar World Acoustic, she talked about that she didn't want to be known as that tap guitar girl from letterman. She even says that stuff is actualy quite easy for her, and that there's a lot tougher stuff then that. She intentionaly made her second album, Until We Felt Red, less of that and more chords, struming, and electric (and i think it's her better album). She also can play drums too and a few others.

If someone wants to see/hear good tapping, introduce them to Greg Howard man!

Not communicating can hurt more than any word that can be said -

Nick
-the Ranting Thespian
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2007 :  03:02:22 AM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Now, all of you fucking listen.

No one here knows more of and about Kaki King than I do. She's got some tapping songs, woopdie doo. Her conventional guitar playing, along with her lap steel playing, sets her apart from the pack as a SONGWRITER. Tim has some wank-a-licious moments, no fair faulting Kaki for Playing With Pink Noise and Magazine. It's artists like that schlong Justin King and various others who abuse the privilege and churn out homogenised sounding crapola.

Now, I have listened to Matt's music plenty and have seen him live a couple of times now. A few of his licks resemble Kaki's...so what. It's unavoidable...there are only 12 notes in the chromatic scale, occasionally some of them will be played in the same succession in various tunes.

Also, John Semon is an idiot. He is a valuable asset to this board, and a friend of mine, but no less, an idiot. His opinion is worth his weight in Cheetos.

Rock on, Matt.

http://db.etree.org/hopefulrollingwaves/ < My Trading List
Go to Top of Page

JemezFoodPeople
Chatterbox

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2007 :  5:24:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit JemezFoodPeople's Homepage  Send JemezFoodPeople an AOL message  Reply with Quote
hahahaa that was a firy rant. I think your expression "abuse the privilege" is a good one. I used to abuse the privilege a lot but have turned my attention more towards real songwriting (as will hopefully be evident in the coming album). I don't think Justin King is *totally* about that, though. He obviously got popular because of it, though.

Personally, I have seen the effects that come about for guys like Justin and for Andy McKee when these videos get around. If that's what it takes to get more people to the recher Theater, then so be it. I wrote the tunes, and I'm proud of them (although not nearly as proud as I am of the conventional fingerstyle ones).

HRW here's something you didn't know about Kaki: I have a small postcard that she personally doodled on for me with a shiny silver paint pen. She completed this work of art at her and Tim's show in New Brunswick NJ a few years back.

Can you remain unmoving
-Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

www.mattwinn.com
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2007 :  6:11:37 PM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I was actually supposed to attend that show, Matt, but I was under the weather. Kaki signed my Taylor for me at the Tin Angel, '<heart> and kisses' she wrote...I think it was my Miles Davis T-shirt.

Go to Top of Page

JemezFoodPeople
Chatterbox

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2007 :  7:25:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit JemezFoodPeople's Homepage  Send JemezFoodPeople an AOL message  Reply with Quote
oh wow, I was at the Tin Angel show... I think that was before we met, though. Did you get ripped apart by the 20 dollar parking fee as well?

Can you remain unmoving
-Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

www.mattwinn.com
Go to Top of Page

gnome44
Yak Addict

749 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2007 :  7:35:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great videos, Matt! The sound is really amazing...I'd like to know what you were playing through.

By the way, did you get my email about my CD that I dropped off at College Perk? I'm starting to think that my email isn't working (seriously) or else people are really just totally blowing me off. Oh well.
Go to Top of Page

JemezFoodPeople
Chatterbox

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2007 :  7:48:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit JemezFoodPeople's Homepage  Send JemezFoodPeople an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey Eric, I didn't respond becaus eyou sent it to my old email address which I check about once a week. it's better to reach me at mwinn (number 83) (at) yahoo.com. I'll respond tomorrow with a more detailed thought about my impression, but overall, it was a lot better (cleaner, organized, enjoyable) than I expected, since you prefaced it with such a humble description. You should take more pride in your work!

Can you remain unmoving
-Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

www.mattwinn.com
Go to Top of Page

gnome44
Yak Addict

749 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2007 :  8:11:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No problem, Matt. I'll update my address book.

Thanks for the initial kind words. Believe me, I do take pride in my work. It's just that the CD really isn't as good as it could have been. It was recorded in one shot in about 3 hours one Saturday. I've re-worked some of the songs, and I have written several more since then. I might have played it down a bit just incase you thought it sucked...then I'd have an excuse to fall back on !

I look forward to your response.
Go to Top of Page

jsemon2
Yak Addict

USA
920 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2007 :  8:33:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit jsemon2's Homepage  Send jsemon2 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hopeful Rolling Waves

Also, John Semon is an idiot. He is a valuable asset to this board, and a friend of mine, but no less, an idiot. His opinion is worth his weight in Cheetos.

who is this johnny cheetos guy? yeah, i dont play the guitar so my views on it are from a hearing/visual standpoint. it just seems odd to me the last few people to post videos of them playing have been the slap/tap technique....

OUT FOR LUNCH
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2007 :  8:51:25 PM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I guess it's en vogue...but tell that to Preston Reed.

Go to Top of Page

JemezFoodPeople
Chatterbox

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2007 :  10:22:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit JemezFoodPeople's Homepage  Send JemezFoodPeople an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That damn Greg Howard... why does he always tap so much

Can you remain unmoving
-Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

www.mattwinn.com
Go to Top of Page

jsemon2
Yak Addict

USA
920 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2007 :  11:21:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit jsemon2's Homepage  Send jsemon2 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JemezFoodPeople

That damn Greg Howard... why does he always tap so much

yeah im def not a fan of his....

OUT FOR LUNCH
Go to Top of Page

jsemon2
Yak Addict

USA
920 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2007 :  11:23:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit jsemon2's Homepage  Send jsemon2 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
http://www.mattwinn.com/pictures.htm

i count 4 pictures TOPS of you not slapping, slamming, poking, tapping, etc the guitar and maybe, just maybe strumming the guitar.

OUT FOR LUNCH
Go to Top of Page

JemezFoodPeople
Chatterbox

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  12:38:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit JemezFoodPeople's Homepage  Send JemezFoodPeople an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That's 4 more than you.

To sum up why this whole shpiel went up on youtube: I didn't put my conventional songs on there because you could watch them or you could just....um... *listen* to them. They have no added visual appeal that would justify my posting of a video. Similarly, once you've seen one picture of me strumming (or four), you've seen them all. I was being nice to you by not wasting your time with the same pictures

Just for you, John, I have uploaded a rough demo of a newer song that you might like.
http://www.mattwinn.com/Sess_311cr.mp3

This is a rough early version. I currently play it with the guitar behind my back using my nose and only the thumbs of either hand while wearing hockey gloves and balancing on one rollerskate. I would do it on a rollerblade, but that would be too hard.
Don't worry, though! I perform this one behind a large curtain so loyal listeners like you won't have to be bothered by my antics

Anyway, thanks for browsing the site!
peace

Can you remain unmoving
-Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

www.mattwinn.com
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  03:19:37 AM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Matt Winn, ladies and gentlemen.

Go to Top of Page

jsemon2
Yak Addict

USA
920 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  09:35:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit jsemon2's Homepage  Send jsemon2 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
haha, there we go matt.

thanks for playing the game.

OUT FOR LUNCH
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  4:37:18 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i demand that hrw being every post with, "now, all of you fucking listen."

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  4:40:51 PM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Dan, thanks, but a heinous spelling error took the wind out.

Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  4:52:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dan p.

i demand that hrw being every post with, "now, all of you fucking listen."

Seconded.

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  4:54:45 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
holy god. i was going to edit it, but you know? i'm going to leave it. i have made an error, and there it is. let this be its epitaph.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  4:57:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dan p.

holy god. i was going to edit it, but you know? i'm going to leave it. i have made an error, and there it is. let this be its epitaph.

Well there's a first time for everything...

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2007 :  7:11:42 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
and a last time for everything.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2007 :  02:16:57 AM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Now, all of you fucking listen.

That's all, folks!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000