Wah/Volume Pedal - Acoustic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2007 :  12:12:04 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey guys, yes I'm in the market yet again for two more pieces of gear. I had a Morley wah/volume/distortion that finally bit the bullet at a gig last Saturday. It cuts out sometimes, so it is still usable somewhat, but I can't gig with it and have it cutting out mid-song.

I was always pretty satisfied with the Morley, but the travel/taper of the volume portion never really impressed me. I've also started looking at other wahs to see if there might be one with slightly better tone for acoustic that won't bite your head off as much.

For volume I was thinking either an Ernie Ball VP Jr. or the newer Boss FV-500H volume, because of the minimum volume knob, which would be good for switching from rhythm to lead on certain songs. For wah someone suggested an Original Crybaby, but I used to have one of those and I always thought it was a bit nasal, especially for acoustic. I'm not totally set against getting another Morley for the wah side, just thinking there might be better options out there.

Anybody here have any suggestions as far as either pedal? Price isn't really an issue at this point, but obviously more bang for the buck is always better.

Thanks all!

Ranting Thespian
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2007 :  10:15:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Ranting Thespian an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I have used my rotovibe for about 6 yearws now. It's a dunlop pedal, so you can throw it up against a wall, and it will be fine. It has 2 settings on it, chorus and vibrato. The vibrato is a very good leslie speaker simulator, and the chorus is pretty rich. It has it's switch on the side as a little metal ball pin that you can tap in and out to change it rather quickly, and has a wet/dry knop on the side that I can adjust with just using my big toe (yes I play without socks on mostly).

I also almost got that ernie ball pedal, until I found this used RFX stereo volume pedal.

So yeah, I think those two work great. Yes the rotovibe isn't exactly a wah wah pedal, but I like it more than the cry-baby. Plus putting the rotovibe (on vibrato) after my POG when it's on an organ setting, I can simulate a hammond organ sound.

Not communicating can hurt more than any word that can be said -

Nick
-the Ranting Thespian
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  10:48:34 AM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I use the VP Jr, I love it, the regular one was too big and made my shin hurt for some reason. Wah, I dunno, maybe play a loop of Charlie Brown's teacher or something.

http://db.etree.org/hopefulrollingwaves/ < My Trading List
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  6:35:46 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ranting Thespian

I have used my rotovibe for about 6 yearws now. It's a dunlop pedal, so you can throw it up against a wall, and it will be fine. It has 2 settings on it, chorus and vibrato. The vibrato is a very good leslie speaker simulator, and the chorus is pretty rich. It has it's switch on the side as a little metal ball pin that you can tap in and out to change it rather quickly, and has a wet/dry knop on the side that I can adjust with just using my big toe (yes I play without socks on mostly).

I also almost got that ernie ball pedal, until I found this used RFX stereo volume pedal.

So yeah, I think those two work great. Yes the rotovibe isn't exactly a wah wah pedal, but I like it more than the cry-baby. Plus putting the rotovibe (on vibrato) after my POG when it's on an organ setting, I can simulate a hammond organ sound.

Listened to the samples on Musiciansfriend.com and it definitely sounds cool. I still want a dedicated wah, but now I want one of those too! Thanks a lot Nick!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Hopeful Rolling Waves

I use the VP Jr, I love it, the regular one was too big and made my shin hurt for some reason. Wah, I dunno, maybe play a loop of Charlie Brown's teacher or something.

Yeah, I'm pretty set on the VP Jr. Marcus Eaton did tell me that he wore his out with use, but I don't gig nearly as much as him. I have heard that the string can break inside it, rendering it useless. The Boss one sounds interesting, and I like the min. volume knob, but I don't know anyone with first hand experience with it.

Anyone else with acoustic wah suggestions?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000