Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 Tool
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2001 :  11:59:36 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I know there are some big Tool fans here so I figured this might be a good forum to ask... what are some good songs to get of Tool's? I've heard so much about this band including "they are the Pink Floyd of our generation," but having just downloaded a few songs and giving them a listen, I found their music reeks of genericism... it doesn't stand out from any other rock band in any way at all... totally mediocre guitar, vocals etc. Now most of these songs are live versions that I came across and frankly they are terrible... but I'm thinking I should give this band a second chance and hear some more of their studio stuff. So if anyone would like to show me the light please feel free... but I refuse to believe that ANY self respecting fan of music would even in their wildest dreams compare this band to Pink Floyd given what I've heard... that is absolute musical herecy. Someone PLEASE tell me what I am missing.
-J

Fleabass76
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1026 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2001 :  01:09:47 AM  Show Profile  Send Fleabass76 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
OMG!!! ok, here are some examples of GREAT Tool songs:
46&2
Lateralus
Schism
The Grudge
Parabol and Parabola-they go together
The Patient-awesome song in 5/8
Resolution
Aenema
Pushit
3rd eye
bottom
undertow
eulogy
H

"Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning?"
-Da Bush
Go to Top of Page

Sambo
Is Anybody Here?

Kazakhstan
33 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2001 :  03:35:14 AM  Show Profile  Send Sambo an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

but I refuse to believe that ANY self respecting fan of music would even in their wildest dreams compare this band to Pink Floyd given what I've heard... that is absolute musical herecy.

Tru that.. however.. your hearing them after youve heard all this other stuff that, i believe, spawned from thier work. Undertow was released in 1993 (my favorite album of thiers) and thier first album Opiate was released in 1992. On the other hand. You have Korn, the band that everyone assumed started this whole genre of drop D dark (and lame) lyrics, released thier break through album (not sure if it was thier first or not) in 1994. So Tool, even if u dont like that style should be respected as pioneers.
Although i personally prefer LZ, floyd, stones, queen, allmans, ect.. i have to say lateralus is sweet and so is anything off undertow..

Sex is when a guy sticks his location into a girls destination creating a new population for the next generation. Do you get my explination? Or do you need a demonstration?!
Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2001 :  10:57:50 AM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Grudge is in 5/8 too Fleabass....

And if your gunna try counting Lataralis Silky...
It starts in 8/8 goes to 9/8 8/8 7/7 then to 4/4 9/8 8/8 7/7 again some other stuff goes through 6/8 5/8 and 3/4 at some points. Its crazy.

Patriotism is a maggot in their heads. - Henry D. Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

Isaac
Chatterbox

USA
461 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2001 :  11:02:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not a huge Pink Floyd fan, so i don't really get that comparison either. But I definatly am a fuggin' huge Tool fan, they're easily one of my favorite bands if not my favorite. I'd imagine if anything is going to turn you onto Tool you should pick up or borrow the album Aenima and give it a listen strait through, though if you like slightly harder and more raw music you might enjoy Undertow more, but if one of those albums don't pull you into Tool then maybe its just not your bag. Not everyone can have good taste in music ;-)

Isaac

"And when King Alexander saw the breadth of his domain he wept for there were no more worlds to conquer"
Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2001 :  2:47:00 PM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Resolution

What the hell song is that... do you mean Disposition, or Reflection?

Those are both good songs too.

Go to Top of Page

Black Lotus
Fluffy-Esque

Burkina Faso (Upper Volta)
1043 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2001 :  2:53:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Black Lotus's Homepage  Send Black Lotus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Tool is probably my favorite band, so I have to chime in here.

I think that Maynard has an amazing voice with quite a range for different songs and styles. Just look at his performance with Tori Amos on the song "Mohammed My Friend," it's truely amazing to hear them two sing together. And as Fred Durst put it (I hate him), "Maynard understands things that none of us will ever even begin to comprehend." He's just on a different level all together.

Adam, while not an extremely technical player, is a great guitarist in his own right. His playing creates amazing mood swings throughout each song Tool plays. Just look at the new version of "Push It" and their cover of "No Quarter." Not to mention, just about every other song they do. But, those two in particular take on great mood swings and flow very well from one emotion to the next. "Maynard's Dick" is a great example of another style of more main-stream rock that they can pull off.

I hate to classify tool as neu-metal, alternative, or any other genra for that matter. They have a unique style in which each song is compeltely different from the next; dynamicly and lyrically. I would dare to say that they are the Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd of this generation, simply because of the dynamics the band has in the studio and live.

Their live show is an experience in its own right. Two massively large screens (40ftx20ft) behind the stage (one behind mayndard as well about 8x8), continually show animated sequences by Adam Jones and Todd McFarlane (creator of Spawn) throughout the show. It's a visual, mental and physical experience to see them live. I thoroughly enjoy the way they can pull all of that together and literally touch every person in the audience. Quite effectively, Tool can take you to that "place where noone goes" (No Quarter) during their concerts and while listening to the CD on your radio at home or in your car.

Not everyone will agree with my opinion of tool, but that's what makes us what we are. If you have never listened to them, I highly suggest doing so. My favorite album has to be the newest one and the dvd. While Aenema, Optiate and Undertow are amazing records as well, the newest one shows more of their dynamics and emotion changes from song to song and within each song. The box set is a collection of their most popular songs (until then) and some of their greatest songs recorded live, such as "Push It." It also contains "Mayndard's Dick" as a hidden track at the end, which is just a cool ass song...

"You can slide a mile, six inches at a time on Mayndard's Dick ..."

-----------------------
Post Whore
Go to Top of Page

pants_happy
Chatterbox

412 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2001 :  4:57:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i would say get Aenema, and not Lateralus. Aenema has some good songs like H., Eulogy, and Pushit, and all the other ones are pretty good. I say this because all of these new bands have a lot of shit that kind of sounds like some songs on Lateralus. And also, they used to stand out a lot more, when they weren't so famous, because they WERE the only ones that sounded like that at the time, and used to be one of the few orginal sounding artists, and now just about every new band i read about has Tool as a band they look up to and listen to (and copy if you ask me.)If you like a little easier listening and very good shit, get Undertow which has Prison Sex, 4 degrees, Sober, Swamp Song, and a whole bunch of others.
i hope this helps.

Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2001 :  5:20:36 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well, I can't really add much to what has already been said: I'll just second the fact that you will want to start with Aenema. One song that I don't believe has been mentioned yet is the Live version of Third Eye on the box set disc. I think that really shows how amazing they are musically.

Go to Top of Page

Fleabass76
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1026 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2001 :  10:36:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Fleabass76 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Grudge is in 5/8 too Fleabass....

And if your gunna try counting Lataralis Silky...
It starts in 8/8 goes to 9/8 8/8 7/7 then to 4/4 9/8 8/8 7/7 again some other stuff goes through 6/8 5/8 and 3/4 at some points. Its crazy.

Don't lecture me on time signatures, I was counting 7/8 before you knew what 4/4 was.

-Da Bush
Go to Top of Page

Fleabass76
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1026 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2001 :  10:39:29 PM  Show Profile  Send Fleabass76 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Resolution

What the hell song is that... do you mean Disposition, or Reflection?

Those are both good songs too.

Oh, yeah, sorry, it's reflection. Early on it was going to be called resolution, and that is what is was labeled as in Bass Player Magazine when they transcribed the lines-thus where i learned the name.

-Da Bush
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2006 :  12:19:07 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I suppose this is Tool related. I know they used artwork like this on an album recently.

Tim Reynolds Downloads
I am not the albatross of love, I am the human ellipsis. I am dot dot dot. - Leo Kottke

I hate beating people over the head with anything. We can all make up our own minds. What we don’t have is enough music. More music please. - Leo Kottke
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2006 :  02:01:54 AM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
the time signature thing.

before i say this i should preface this by saying that i'm a tool fan. if you think tool sounds just like a lot of other bands, or that they're generic, all that means is you aren't listening. put their cd in again and pay attention this time.

tool's usage of mixed meter and frequent meter changes isn't something new or, really all that difficult. there's a lot of music out there that's way more perplexing meter and rhythm-wise than tool. a lot of it would lose anyone here trying to follow it within 30 seconds. i have no doubt about it. what seperates tool rhythmically and meterically from say, any decent grind/tech metal band, or any band at all with a focus on meter and rhythm really, is that tool makes the mixed meter and changes more lyrical and smooth. the patient and lateralus come to mind. what happens a lot of times when you get heavily into tricky meter stuff is that the notes tend to just become pegs on which to hang rhythm. tool does the tricky meter stuff well, but they don't sacrifice melody for it. that's why they don't "sound like" any other band, except maybe on the must superficial levels.

dismiss summarily any comparision to pink floyd. those tend to be made by people who understand both bands as progressive, but don't really think the comparision through further than that. tool is what it is, and pink floyd was pretentious masturbation rock. that's not to say some it wasn't good, because some of it was damn good, but to deny they were masturbatory and pretentious would be a stark denial of reality.

also, saint jude, 7/7 isn't a time signature.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Erich
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1427 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2006 :  1:40:25 PM  Show Profile  Send Erich an AOL message  Reply with Quote
As pink floyd is my favourite band, bar none, and Ive told tim straight up that hes only second on my list behind David Gilmour, im going to hold my tongue on what Dan P just said (that doesnt mean that youre not correct to a certain degree... but what that degree is, we more than likely would disagree)

Anyway, Im not going to get into the conversation deeply enough to share my full feelings on Tool, easily one of my fave bands, but I will say that their usesage of the fibinachi sequence in the song Lateralus is pretty cool.

~pw'oikr
~( ">
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2006 :  5:52:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love Pink Floyd, but am definitely more into the Gilmour period than the Barret stuff. Gilmour is an amazing guitarist and is on my top ten list.

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2006 :  9:26:19 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
we probably would disagree, and that's ok. but as far as comparing the two bands musically, you can't do it. the styles aren't at all the same.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2006 :  01:48:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dan p.

we probably would disagree, and that's ok. but as far as comparing the two bands musically, you can't do it. the styles aren't at all the same.

I haven't heard too much Tool, but what I have would lend itself to your statement, Dan. I don't think they are comparable either.

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

PolyOntology
Is Anybody Here?

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2006 :  5:43:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit PolyOntology's Homepage  Send PolyOntology an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Tool and Pink Floyd are two of my all time favorite bands... and in some aspects I think they are comparable. They are definitely pretty different as far as sound, but they've got some other similarities. Both bands have managed to enjoy popular status despite having more progressive and psychedelic aspects than is usually allowed into the mainstream. Both bands are big into the idea of concept albums. Both bands give subtle (or maybe not-so-subtle) nods to "esoteric" influences. I imagine that if I were around during the time Pink Floyd were touring, they would be one of the few (or only) arena-touring bands that I would almost sacrifice a limb in order to see. Same thing with Tool (luckily no limbs had to be sacrificed).

Enthu, that pic is from a really awesome artist named luke brown (http://spectraleyes.com/). The guy who collaborated with Tool is Alex Grey (http://www.alexgrey.com). There's a book coming out in the near future detailing the colloration...I'm really looking forward to that.
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2006 :  8:07:43 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
none of that stuff really has to do with music, though. i mean, yeah they both are progressive, but you couldn't call pink floyd progressive in terms of now. they were progressive then, but now if you were to be like pink floyd, i'd object to calling you "progressive." and lots of bands do concept albums. that's hardly distinctive. blind guardian did a silmarillion concept album. mastodon did a moby dick concept album. these bands are not like tool or pink floyd. the referecing esoteric infuences isn't really here or there.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2006 :  01:13:09 AM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
It was just officially announced/confirmed today that Tool is headling Sunday at Coachella. I can't even stress how stoked I am about this announcement. I've seen them once before, it must have been about 4 years ago now, and I'm not even a bit ashamed to admit that I was brought to tears when they took the stage.

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2006 :  11:34:31 AM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Silky, I have a great bootleg DVD of them, I can send it too you if you'd like. Trading list in sig.

http://db.etree.org/hopefulrollingwaves/ < My Trading List
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2006 :  10:09:19 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
from their website:

01 Feb 06

TOOL RECORD MASTERED
Salma stopped dancing on January 29th. The next morning the members of the band flew to Portland, Maine to have the record mastered by Bob Ludwig. This was done on January 31, no doubt followed by a lobster dinner.

Looks like a new album should be out this spring!!!

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2006 :  11:27:49 AM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
it's about time. i'm psyched.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2006 :  6:42:09 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Had a conference call today and heard that 4/4 is the official release date!!!!!!!

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2006 :  9:46:18 PM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
sweet.

when the hell is the live dvd comming out?!

Remember, turn off your tv. Read.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000