new fishman pedal, the Aura
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ranting Thespian
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2006 :  01:15:50 AM  Show Profile  Send Ranting Thespian an AOL message  Reply with Quote
What is this new fishman pedal that Fluffy said Tim just used? I am sure it's not the Aura, since it's just to give you better sound quality (and it sure works, I love mine).

I am even surprised fishman started to make effect pedals. They havn't done anything like that before, have they?

Not communicating can hurt more than any word that can be said -

Nick
-the Ranting Thespian

Kevin
Chatterbox

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2006 :  02:19:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't heard anything besides Aura and stuff along those lines. Maybe some new guitar/amp modeling feature? My guitar "tailor" is a Fishman dealer, so I assume he would've been anxious to tell everyone what his favorite company came out with.

I believe Fishman has really only delved into very specific and precise modeling effects, however like I said, I'm only assuming. I'm not the Fishman dealer :)
Go to Top of Page

Ranting Thespian
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2006 :  01:23:51 AM  Show Profile  Send Ranting Thespian an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I checked the website for new material. There isn't anything on there other than new pickups and more about the aura.

Nick
-the Ranting Thespian
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2006 :  12:52:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thats it Ranting Thespian, it's the Aura. Hopefully Marcus will drag his ass by and fill in the details. LOL He's a busy guy, patience is the key here. He can explain it alot better as he is the one who explained it to me and to TR.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

Ranting Thespian
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2006 :  02:17:28 AM  Show Profile  Send Ranting Thespian an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ah, I have it, and it's outstanding, if you'd like I could give you guys a rundown about it all.

Nick
-the Ranting Thespian
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2006 :  05:37:04 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I talked to Marcus tonite, he says he will stop by very soon and give you all the lowdown. He had a show tonite in Bend with a band. A band I would have flown to Bend to see him with if I hadn't be stuck in Hotlanta at a damned ole TR show. Here's an extract from his email from earlier today:
quote:
To kick off the July live show schedule we are very pleased to announce a special intimate full band performance at the Nectar Lounge in Seattle, WA tonight (July 6) and an appearance at the stellar Bend Summer Festival on July 8. We are fortunate to have bassist Stan Sheldon and drummer Troy Sereduk onboard for both nights. Stan is a longtime collaborator of Peter Frampton's and appears on the number one selling live album in recorded music history, Frampton Comes Alive! Troy's drumming can be heard on several tracks off Marcus' latest release, Story of Now (which should be the number one selling studio album of all time!).

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

TheME
Is Anybody Here?

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2006 :  11:06:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit TheME's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dudes,

Here the dealy-yo. The pedal is a Fishman Aura. The Aura is not an affect pedal...it is actually a mic simulator that creates an acoustic 'image' of a particular instrument. Tim's Martin has a specific sound (in front of a mic) that can only be obtained by using an Aura. It adds a lot of dynamics back to the transducer sound. Tim can choose the different mics and adjust the phase and compression of each sound...they really do kick ass!
Check out
http://www.fishmanaura.com

Take Care,

MARCUS
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2006 :  1:25:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! I can't wait to hear how it sounds on Tim's new shows. Sounds like something I might want to get myself...

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2006 :  3:24:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
THANX Marcus!

So you know Arthen, TR absolutely loves this thing. He says it does a great job of doing what it's supposed to do. He says it's Amazing at recreating that true acoustic sound that he always complained was lacking whenever you plugged in an acoustic guitar.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

sciphish
Chatterbox

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  04:14:51 AM  Show Profile  Send sciphish an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for answering this... I just looked at it, and I must say that it sounds interesting (great too). My only queston, and Ranting Thes you may be able to answer this, but how is it different then a simulator. As in the ones Boss makes. Is it only for undersaddle pickups? I have a under bridge transducer, which already sounds great...

More questions then I meant, but the deal is, we're all looking for better sound. I just don't want to mask a beautiful sound. Get what I'm saying? BTW I have a Martin OM-35

Thanks again!!

I'm almost there...
Go to Top of Page

Ranting Thespian
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2006 :  04:25:39 AM  Show Profile  Send Ranting Thespian an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ok, here's the difference. A simulator takes your guitar pickup sound and makes it into a guitar they have desgined on a computer, it's not YOUR guitar. This device takes what is called a "sound image" that is devised by actualy playing the guitar and recording it through a certain mic at a certain distance, and then it gets more complicated for me to understand. Then, it takes your pickup and pocesses it to recreate your guitar sound exactly as if it is being played through a high quality studio mic. Feedback is greately reduced, and you can take it anywhere. Plug it in, choose the sound image you want, then plug it into either an acoustic amp, a PA system, or right into a recording. It will sound 100% like a studio mic, whcih all simulators are trying to get to, but don't make it because they are a simulation.

Now, about how to acquire a "sound image". Fishman continualy uploads popular guitar models up on their website to be downloaded into your aura. The aura already has generic preloaded images in there to get you started. Now, I know you can use an under the saddle pickup or a soundhole pickup. You cannot use a mic pickup. For questions about if your pickup will work with the aura, best to e-mail Fishman. I use a Neo-D pickup (a passive pickup) which doesn't work well because it has no source of power, but if you have any sort of volume booster (I use my Marshall BB-2) it can work.

Here's the one problem with it. Sometimes they won't have a guitar model that is yours. You can still get a good and very close match with a guitar model that is similar to yours, and it is still worth it. You can if you want mix and match for the hell of it, but don't expect miracles.

They do have a program that they are running where they can devise a sound image that is exactly your guitar, exact replica. The two ways they will do this is by either sending your own guitar in and they will make one for you, send it back, and download it into your aura. The second way is to take a professional studio recording with your own favorite mic and send that in. The problem with the second one is that they aren't able to do that yet, but will be able to eventualy.

It's a great little tool, and can be used for guitars, basses, mandolins, banjos, cellos, violins, you name it! It just takes a little work to get it just right, but it is worth it!

Also, Sciphish, they do not have a OM-35 on the site, but they have an OM-21 and an OM-42. Plus, check out what else they have that is close.

www.Fishmanaura.com

Nick
-the Ranting Thespian
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2006 :  12:47:24 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I just checked out the demos on the website for the Aura. I am truly blown away at the sound this thing creates. I must pick one of these up.
Go to Top of Page

sciphish
Chatterbox

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2006 :  03:20:05 AM  Show Profile  Send sciphish an AOL message  Reply with Quote
eh... I'll pass on it. Only because I'm not sold on the fact the sound that comes out is my guitar. I mean it sounds great, but something's not right when there are different "images" depending on the guitar. By downloading the "image" does it figure out the settings for you, meaning technically I could figure it out on my own and not need the preset?

What it all comes down to is this. In order for it to viable, I should be able to see the relatively same difference between a Walfart guitar ($60 BTW) compared to a D-45. We all know the D-45 sounds much better compared to the walfart without the aura. But is the same difference still there with the aura? It should be, because these wonder pedals annoy me. The ones that make any guitar sound great (although the possiblilty opens up funny ideas). Maybe Im picking about my sound ( I am), and I don't mean to bash, since I've never played it. But it is an interesting device. Thanks for the info.

One Last thing... Does anyone have audio of Tim using the Aura since he got it. Maybe that could be a better calibur of it's legitmacy (me of course the constant skeptic).

I'm almost there...
Go to Top of Page

gnome44
Yak Addict

749 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2006 :  8:51:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My understanding is that the Aura doesn't necessarily make a guitar sound "better". It makes it sound more "natural"...as if it was not amplified via an undersaddle pickup (which can significantly alter the sound of a guitar).

So, yeah, you would be able to tell the difference between the Walfart special and a D-45. The Aura would take away the the alterations added by the pickup and make the guitar sound the way it would naturally...or well miked.
Go to Top of Page

Ranting Thespian
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2006 :  03:17:24 AM  Show Profile  Send Ranting Thespian an AOL message  Reply with Quote
It "sounds better" than just a pickup or a guitar modeler. It trys to make it sound like a studio miced guitar, and unlike a modeler, your guitar. It trys to make it sound more natural in a non miced recording environment or a non miced performance when you are using a pickup. The 2 problems with mics: 1 you have to stand right in front of them to pick up your sound right, and 2 they create many chances of severe feedback onstage.

The aura allows more comfort and freedom and gives you a perfect studio miced natural sound which all pickups and modelers try to achive. It doesn't make your guitar sound better than just your guitar, it makes your pickup reproduce your exact guitar sound!

Also, to make it better it has an input volume control, an output volume control, a phase switch to even further limit feedback, a blender to control how much pickup you want through and how much sound image, a 3 way eq for each, another phase option, a compresser, and level control all programed and saved for your specific image saved. Plus all that can be altered with just a flick of a switch and a turn of 2 dials. You have 50 slots for sound images, an on off switch to let it play clean if you want, foot switches to scroll up and down the images stored or use a dial, and a handy tuner.

Now this is a piece of work, not a wonder pedal.

Nick
-the Ranting Thespian
Go to Top of Page

sciphish
Chatterbox

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2006 :  05:10:09 AM  Show Profile  Send sciphish an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well I guess, the only way to be fair is to try it. Is there an EQ?

I'm almost there...
Go to Top of Page

Ranting Thespian
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2006 :  03:55:16 AM  Show Profile  Send Ranting Thespian an AOL message  Reply with Quote
As I said . . .

quote:
Originally posted by Ranting Thespian

. . . Also, to make it better it has an input volume control, an output volume control, a phase switch to even further limit feedback, a blender to control how much pickup you want through and how much sound image, a 3 way eq for each , another phase option, a compresser, and level control all programed and saved for your specific image saved . . .

Nick
-the Ranting Thespian
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2006 :  3:43:33 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey sciphish, I think the piece of the puzzle that you are missing is WHAT the Aura actually does. My understanding from TR is that it makes the guitar sound like the "natural" acoustic sound of the guitar unplugged. What an acoustic guitar should sound like. TR's complaint has always been that when you plug in an acoustic guitar and put it thru a soundsystem it ceases to sound like the "natural" acoustic sound of the guitar. It is why he has always said he would prefer to play LIVE in a small room of 50 people where everyone can appreciate the true acoustics of the acoustic guitar without the impedence of a sound system which changes the sound of the guitar so drastically. The aura recreates that acoustic sound that your guitar has naturally so you can put it thru a sound system and still have it sound like that "natural" acoustic sound of your guitar. To do this, you have to have your guitars distinctive sound put into the Aura. If you are like TR and use a standard Martin, they already have the sounds for TR's guitars. If you are Marcus with your custom guitar, your guitars sound must be loaded into the Aura for optimum performance. TR and Marcus both swear by this thing. They both complained of the unnatural sound their acoustic guitars had once put thru a sound system.

Fishman Aura Acoustic Imaging Blender

Can a pickup make you sound like you’re playing in a pro recording studio?

It can with Aura.

Aura isn’t a pickup, yet it picks up where pickups leave off. Aura is not a microphone, yet it makes you sound like you’re playing into a great mic in a great room. And Aura is not modeling. It is Acoustic Sound Imaging™—a quantum leap for acoustic amplification—and only Fishman has it.

With Aura, you can now have stunning, studio-quality performance to take to the stage, or to use in home recording.

And Aura’s sound? It amazes even the most seasoned studio engineers and professional players. That’s because, unlike modeling, Aura is derived from real pro-studio recordings, and is designed to preserve the individual tone of your acoustic guitar.

But don’t take our word for it. Hear the Aura difference for yourself.

http://www.fishmanaura.com/default.asp

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2006 :  03:37:16 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
So I can't tell you how the Aura has helped the soundboard recordings we have been getting. Although they are few and far between the ones we have sound amazing. The signal going to the board is the sound that is also in the room, that warm, mic'd acoustic guitar sound. It is making a WORLD of difference. Can't wait for you all to hear them.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

AGirlNamedPsycho
Try A Little Harder

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2006 :  12:21:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit AGirlNamedPsycho's Homepage  Send AGirlNamedPsycho an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I watched some of the videos about this thing and I *think* I get it.
So like, if it's such a personalized sound, if you set it to something other than the guitar you're playing will it sound weird when it comes out? From what I gathered about it, the Aura uses two signals to determine these 'sound images'; the sound of the guitar in question both thru its own pickups, and then again mic'ed under studio settings. Then it modifies the pickup signal to match the response of the mic signal and establishes a little relationship insofar as how to modify the signal under certain circumstances (ie attack, frequency, things I wouldn't think to think of).
It's basically like saying, "Okay, your guitar sounds RED in this signal, but it sounds PURPLE in this signal, so to make this guitar sound better I'm going to add BLUE before it hits the amp." So if you're playing a guitar than sounds, I dunno, YELLOW, and it's still trying to make your guitar sound PURPLE, does it come out sounding GREEN? Did I say that right?? What I mean is, if you have it set to sound like Guitar A, and you play Guitar B instead, what does it do?
Go to Top of Page

Ranting Thespian
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2006 :  01:20:17 AM  Show Profile  Send Ranting Thespian an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ok, here's what it is intended to do: if your guitar sounds "yellow" then it won't try to make it "purple", it will try to make it yellow. So it takes your pickup and puts it through the soundimage so that the pickup is changed back to Yellow after going through your pickup, to give you the original sound again.

Now if you are using an image that makes it purple, and you start with yellow, you will get what you get. And what you get is all up in the air. You are taking an effect that wasn't meant to be used that way. But Fishman even says you can experiment with what you want, but don't expect miracles. So you could stumble onto something that sounds great, and unbelieveable, but don't count on it.

Nick
-the Ranting Thespian
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000