Interesting Chord Voicings...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

guitarisPIMP
Yak Addict

Niue
587 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  11:45:49 PM  Show Profile  Send guitarisPIMP an AOL message  Reply with Quote

Tons of practice to get all these puppies down..

my favorite color is go fuck yourself. :D

guitarisPIMP
Yak Addict

Niue
587 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2005 :  1:12:43 PM  Show Profile  Send guitarisPIMP an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Is it just me or are these pictures not even showing up?

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2005 :  1:13:03 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Broken links for me, indeed.

Tim Reynolds Downloads
I am not the albatross of love, I am the human ellipsis. I am dot dot dot. - Leo Kottke

I hate beating people over the head with anything. We can all make up our own minds. What we don’t have is enough music. More music please. - Leo Kottke
Go to Top of Page

guitarisPIMP
Yak Addict

Niue
587 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2005 :  1:24:54 PM  Show Profile  Send guitarisPIMP an AOL message  Reply with Quote
maybe my syntax is wrong? i typed img in []'s then C:\yaddayaddayadda then /img in []'s. is that wrong?

Go to Top of Page

Erich
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1427 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2005 :  2:35:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Erich an AOL message  Reply with Quote
think about it. those pics are on your computer, not the internet. therefor, linking them from c: will only show up for you

~pw'oikr
~( ">
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2005 :  5:53:13 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by guitarisPIMP

Tons of practice to get all these puppies down..

try using something like imageshack to host them. Not sure if you can use imageshack for .bmps though.. maybe change them to .jpg

Tim Reynolds Downloads
I am not the albatross of love, I am the human ellipsis. I am dot dot dot. - Leo Kottke

I hate beating people over the head with anything. We can all make up our own minds. What we don’t have is enough music. More music please. - Leo Kottke
Go to Top of Page

guitarisPIMP
Yak Addict

Niue
587 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  4:57:28 PM  Show Profile  Send guitarisPIMP an AOL message  Reply with Quote
pics are way too big for imageshack, and resizing would make the charts unreadable. sorry for the dick-tease, folks.

Go to Top of Page

sb1975
Is Anybody Here?

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  8:51:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Upload it on You Send It and then post the link... ( http://www.yousendit.com/ )
Go to Top of Page

guitarisPIMP
Yak Addict

Niue
587 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  9:24:13 PM  Show Profile  Send guitarisPIMP an AOL message  Reply with Quote
here's a link:

http://s41.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1K2UR7HJ1OA633QE8HH8D7BWTN

*EDIT*

and here's yet another comprehensive list...
http://s58.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1BUH1IOP66B8M25FFJYSSCN9RB

Go to Top of Page

JemezFoodPeople
Chatterbox

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  10:33:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit JemezFoodPeople's Homepage  Send JemezFoodPeople an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey i don't want to sound like a total party-pooper, but do you find that a lot of guitarists use really unconventional chord voicings merely because they want others to notice them and their weirdly-shaped hands? I swear that most people (non-musicians, non-board members) can't tell the difference between most of these chords, as long as the top note is the same. I think they serve a purpose if used correctly, but sometimes it just seems to be that people like weird chords just because they're weird.

When I find a use for one of these chords in a song (... like this really nice C-G-D-Eb chord in a mellow song I have), I am happy as hell... but generally find that unconventional chords just sound like slop. Reminds me of a more difficult way of just slamming all the open strings at once. Maybe I just don't get it..?

"Do you have the patience to wait
till your mud settles and the water is clear?
Can you remain unmoving
till the right action arises by itself?"
-Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

www.mattwinn.com
Go to Top of Page

guitarisPIMP
Yak Addict

Niue
587 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  10:37:14 PM  Show Profile  Send guitarisPIMP an AOL message  Reply with Quote
hahaha i guess you have to have an ear that enjoys the odd sounds. i'm sure you're not the only one that feels that way. imo interesting voicings can make all the difference in a piece, something like a Ralph Towner tune that just flows in this open, weird sounding way. that stuff kicks ass.

Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  11:49:29 AM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i've found that if something sounds like slop, then there's a chance the listener doesn't quite understand what's happening. that's not to say that there's not a lot of slop out there, because there clearly is, but i always check to be sure there isn't something happening that didn't quite pick up on first listen. it's where the how of listening comes in. if you listen to a piece of music expecting to find certain things but end up hearing something different, then you can't really make a judgement call on the music or the performer, can you? i dismiss out of hand people who listen to something once and say "it's just noise" or "that's not music." i'm not going to sugarcoat this, because it is what it is, but people who say that are lazy listeners. period. it's not about music knowledge or anything like that. it's just, pure and simple, an unwillingness to take the time to appreciate something.

i'm not saying that about you, though. if you don't have a taste for unconvential harmony, then that's fine. ain't nothin wrong with that.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Zachmozach
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1534 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  12:14:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I personally like it when guitarists can play more piano like voicings and have unique ways of comabting limitations with the instrument. There is a great jazz player in portland that goes by the name of John Stowell. He plays with his guitar almost upright on his lap and he uses some insane chord voicings. Like he showed us some major 7th voicing he really likes and I was just thinking to myself how my hands do not do that. He comes away with a completely unique sound and just a whole different approach to the intrument. It might be just me, but I like guitarists who understand harmony on more than a basic level and can apply to their intsrument.

Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  1:36:20 PM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Shit, Dave M's got some fairly unique chord structs...slop? I think not.

http://db.etree.org/hopefulrollingwaves/ < My Trading List
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000