New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2005 :  02:43:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of the most inspiring and amazing performances I have ever seen. I have had their album "Music for Two" since it came out, and I was always impressed by it, but it wasn't anything compared to seeing the actual product. Edgar Meyer freaking makes love to his bass and is easily one of the most impressive musician I have ever witnessed. And Bela Fleck is right there next to him, just as amazing. Not to mention their banter is hilarious!

My buddy and I saw them live from the second row at a great auditorium on my campus, and it was worth every penny of the 27 dollars I paid. Do yourself a favor and see them while they are still touring! More good news, Flecktones are touring next winter!

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com

Zachmozach
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1534 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2005 :  2:50:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ya, I was thinking about going up and catching the seattle show last month, but I had class early the next day and it wasn't one I could afford to miss. I'm sure the show was incredible though, but I'm guessing their special guest, Zakir Hussein wasn't there for the cal. dates. Either way it had to be great. I believe they are currently writing a concerto for banjo, bass, and tabla with Zakir.

If you get a chance during some of the cali dates they are shooting a DVD I believe. It's a two night back to back thing. I'll definitely be seeing them in febuary when they are in portland.

Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2005 :  3:43:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, no Zakir, unfortunately, that could've only added to the show. As for shooting a DVD, there weren't any cameras at the venue, but I would love to have a DVD of them. Hell, I'd kill for another album from them.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2005 :  5:50:49 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I heard from a pretty credible source that Edgar Meyer is a self-obsessed pompous ass, but damn that man can saw up an upright.

"Hey man...you smell..."
"Oh yeah?"
"yeah...like dinner..."
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2005 :  8:01:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jay

I heard from a pretty credible source that Edgar Meyer is a self-obsessed pompous ass, but damn that man can saw up an upright.

Wow, if that's true I didn't catch it at all from his stage performance. He seemed really amiable and his banter with Bela was great. But then, I've heard that exact same thing about Tony Rice.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Zachmozach
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1534 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2005 :  9:25:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jay

Yes, but I myself am obsessed with Edgar, and an ass so if it is true I can forgive him.

Arthen, I meant the Flecktones were doing a DVD this spring, but I wasn't exactly clear on that. It's being made by his brother actually and is going to be about the year off and getting back together and all that. I only today found out the portland date in feb. is cancelled and I have to wait till the summer before they hit the NW. Plus their new album hidden land comes out in like January and it comes with a combo CD/DVD with some performance stuff on it and is rumored to have Ben Franklin on it. Plus I heard the album starts with a Bach Toccata and Fugue, which should be hip. Then Bela has his african thing which should come out some time soon and I can't wait for that.

Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2005 :  10:52:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahh...the Tones! Perfekt! I'm planning on getting tickets to the two tour dates the 13th and 14th of Feb, I believe. It's right here in my town too, Chico. Man, I can't wait for any new albums from any of them.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

guitarisPIMP
Yak Addict

Niue
587 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  6:34:24 PM  Show Profile  Send guitarisPIMP an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Like at the Quick is crazy. You never see many Japanese guys that can sing three tones at once while playing that three-stringed instrument these days..

my favorite color is go fuck yourself. :D
Go to Top of Page

Zachmozach
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1534 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  7:42:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arthen

Ahh...the Tones! Perfekt! I'm planning on getting tickets to the two tour dates the 13th and 14th of Feb, I believe. It's right here in my town too, Chico. Man, I can't wait for any new albums from any of them.

Yeah, you lucky SOB those are the only west coast dates this winter now and they are filming those dates.

Go to Top of Page

guitarisPIMP
Yak Addict

Niue
587 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  9:53:37 PM  Show Profile  Send guitarisPIMP an AOL message  Reply with Quote
at least we have archive.org

my favorite color is go fuck yourself. :D
Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2005 :  8:50:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I remember that Chinese dude! I saw this picture of him and Bela, Bela was giving him one of those classic "What...the fuck?" looks. It was great...actually, it was posted here a long time ago...lemme see...

"Hey man...you smell..."
"Oh yeah?"
"yeah...like dinner..."
Go to Top of Page

skyline
Chatterbox

USA
143 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2005 :  08:53:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit skyline's Homepage  Send skyline an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'm seeing the Flecktones in Nashville this January in concert with the Nashville Symphony. Should be an amazing show!

http://www.dmbforums.com
Go to Top of Page

Zachmozach
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1534 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2005 :  1:25:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skyline

I'm seeing the Flecktones in Nashville this January in concert with the Nashville Symphony. Should be an amazing show!

That will be a really hip show. When I saw Futureman this summer he said that he was working on a symphony for 07 and having listened to some of his classical compositions I'm excited, but I was thinking how cool it would be to have the symphony play some of his stuff at the show on top of accompaniment for the tones.

Go to Top of Page

skyline
Chatterbox

USA
143 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2006 :  10:24:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit skyline's Homepage  Send skyline an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zachmozach

quote:
Originally posted by skyline

That will be a really hip show. When I saw Futureman this summer he said that he was working on a symphony for 07 and having listened to some of his classical compositions I'm excited, but I was thinking how cool it would be to have the symphony play some of his stuff at the show on top of accompaniment for the tones.

What an amazing first night! Now, I really wish I had tickets for night 2 :(

Here's the setlist:

-- Set 1 --

NASHVILLE SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA
Unforgettable
Soul Bossa Nova
As Time Goes By
One Mint Julep

BELA FLECK & THE FLECKTONES
Next
Scratch & Sniff
Rococo*
Zona Mona*
Costa Brava*

-- Set 2 --
Kaleidoscope
Sleeper
Who's Got Three?
Bela solo
Jayme Lynn*
Sunset Road*
County Clare*
encore:
Sleeping Dogs Lie

*with the Nashville Symphony Orchestra

Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2006 :  6:28:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Zona Mona and Sunset Road with a symphony must have rocked ass.

I was planning on seeing them in February but the first night is showed out and tickets are $45. So, I preordered the new album instead. Oh well, I'll wait for april for Tim.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

skyline
Chatterbox

USA
143 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2006 :  08:21:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit skyline's Homepage  Send skyline an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arthen

Zona Mona and Sunset Road with a symphony must have rocked ass.

I was planning on seeing them in February but the first night is showed out and tickets are $45. So, I preordered the new album instead. Oh well, I'll wait for april for Tim.

Yep, they were solid. County Clare was probably the most involved orchestral arrangement, though, and was definitely a highlight.

At the end of the show, the Flecktones and members of the orchestra started throwing suffed cosmic hippos out into the crowd. It was pretty good for a laugh.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000