Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 Sad News : (
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rubylith
Fluffy-Esque

1915 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2005 :  09:13:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit rubylith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here is a message posted on Chris Whitley's website (www.chriswhitley.com)

CHRIS`S HEALTH
11-11-2005

I've gotten tons of email and IM's regarding Chris's health, Chris is in fact very very ill. He is not however in the confines of a cold stark hospital room but is in a comfortable warm home with hospice care at his disposal, surrounded by much love, light and support of family 24 hours a day. I felt all his friends and fans have a right to know what's going on. At the request of Chris, me, his daughter Trixie and the rest of the family we would only like to ask people to respect Chris's privacy as well as our privacy at this time. I promise we will be releasing updates on Chris's condition in the next couple weeks.

Much Love,
Daniel Whitley & Susann Buerger

I hope that he is well. His music his literally saved my life...more than one time. I have seen the man perform countless times, he even told me to keep "shredding", because one day I can be something. Over the years his music has touched every part of my life, especially my own music. He is a true tortured artist, one with the lungs of a giant, and the soul of a God. I had dinner with Trixie and she was clearly upset with his condition of his show we saw that night. She is another amazing person. The connection from this message board, to Fluffy, to Chris Whitley, to my family still confuses me how it all got wrapped up together, how at first it was a simple love for his music, then he became a friend, and throguh other friends back to fluffy again, it was a strange circle.....but..what I care for most on my worst and most horrible time is to throw in a Chris Whitley record on and begin healing.

Thank you Chris, please get well soon, we miss you.

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2005 :  09:38:30 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Definately sad. Hope Chris will be better soon.

http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6421

Tim Reynolds Downloads
I am not the albatross of love, I am the human ellipsis. I am dot dot dot. - Leo Kottke

I hate beating people over the head with anything. We can all make up our own minds. What we don’t have is enough music. More music please. - Leo Kottke
Go to Top of Page

OnlySuperstition
Chatterbox

150 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2005 :  09:46:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave,

Although this was mentioned in a thread a couple days ago your thread stands out. I dont know him at all but he will be awww struck by your kind gentle words.....

Slaughter, a word to live by....
Go to Top of Page

rubylith
Fluffy-Esque

1915 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2005 :  11:21:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit rubylith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
thanks I didn't realize it was posted until I saw enthuTIMsiast's post. Didn;t mean to repost. I noticed it last night...I mean in one way it isn't like this came out of no where, he did drink heavily, now I have no idea what the illness is, but I assume it is from the deterioration from alcohol abuse. I just hope he gets better. THank you though for your nice words....

What's everyone's favorite chris whitley song?

Mine, even though he did not write it probably is Perfect Day...his voice is amazing in that...That album Perfect Day is all covers but he does it in such a genius way it is astonishing.

Anyway...cheers Chris, you mean a lot to a lot of people.
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2005 :  11:37:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mine goes back and forth from New Lost World, to Fire Road (For Two), to Power Down (particularly the version off of Weed), Narcotic Prayer, etc, etc. More good vibes to CW and his family.

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Robin
Yak Addict

USA
598 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2005 :  12:23:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks especially to Pam for the kind offer of support. Chris is an amazing person and a dear friend who I love very much. Despite the someTIMes public display of his shortcomings, he remains an incedible artist. Please don't specualate, no matter how tempting it may be. It is NOT alcohol related nor drug related, and it is shocking enough to be losing this man so quickly, without speculation, which inevitably leads to discussions of what one thinks is happening. Pam is right on,and I would really like to be able to frequent the board during this TIme. I can't bear any more discussions of what people think he should or should not have done, or what we as friends and family should have etc. The Whitley site is full of them and I have had to hold my tongue and be graceful in the process. I have been so grateful for the people here, because you are so intelligent and there is an amount of respect that most boards lack in my opinion. Again, thankyou all for the kind thoughts and words. (Pam, I'll e-mail you if I have the energy). Peace, Robin
Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2005 :  2:48:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's a group of Chris friends and fans in VT (big fan base here) who are doing a candlelight/prayer/positive energy get together tonight at 9. If you can, stop for a few minutes and light a candle and say a prayer at 9pm EST and help radiate healing collective intention to Chris. Concentric circles of peaceful energy radiate outward in space, endlessly, like ripples from a stone in water. Single rays of light from all over the land meet at one point in the sky and light the galaxy. Together, they make giant hands to cradle Chris and his family.
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2005 :  2:54:36 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Evergreen, that is wonderfull. My thoughts will be with you guys during that time this evening.

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

rubylith
Fluffy-Esque

1915 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2005 :  3:08:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit rubylith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
wow that is really amazing...

I will definetly take part in that tonight from new jersey....
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2005 :  3:51:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
6:30 western time, then? I'll light some candles around my house and pick up my guitar and sing some of CWs songs in honor of him. My roommate and I are big fans, and we'll be sending what we can to Chris and his loved ones. Robin, good luck staying strong and holding onto Grace, I'm sure CW and his family appreciate it.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2005 :  5:22:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Arthen, 6:00 pacific time

Evergreen, I too will light candles and send vibes at that time. I know some see this as symbolic, but I have seen transformations from such an event and I do believe the energy flows and collects much as you describe.

Many on the "healing vibes" thread I mentioned on the other thread about Chris on this message board, have sent positive vibes his way.
Again, a testimony of how music connects people.

Robin, if you email me, that would be great, but know that regardless, I am sending vibes out to you to help you cope with this event.

I am sorry to hear that there is such speculation on the condition of Chris and what is happening. I haven't read them so I don't know how mean spirited they are. I admit, I thought it was alcohol related too. Even if that was what Chris was ailing from, I wouldn't judge him or his lifestyle choices.

Another great musician who I respect and love is also dying. Michael Brecker, a wonderful Jazz musician has a blood disease similar to leukemia. He is in need of a bone marrow transplant and so far they have not been able to find a match for him. They have been searching for a match for many months. He just had a second round of chemo in October but without the transplant, he won't live much longer.

((((((((((Chris)))))))))) ((((((((((((Michael)))))))))))) Know you are loved by many and have given this world a wonderful gift through your music. Wishing both of you peace.

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

Robin
Yak Addict

USA
598 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2005 :  7:50:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm absolutely moved to tears, thank... you all of you. Vermont is a special place to Chris so it's fitting that this generated from there.And it's beautiful that you all are sharing the light from your corner of the world. I'll be joining you. Peace, love and light, Robin
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2005 :  9:16:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Robin

Peace, love and light, Robin

Without those three things, nothing else matters, so let me send the same back to you Robin.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2005 :  10:42:01 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I guess it might be a bit selfish of me to be so upset over this news. I've had the past 24 hours to think this news through and I've realized that there are others out there, such as Chris' family and friends that must be having an infinitly tougher time than I. Also, I've realized that I have had the opportunity to see Chris live 4 times in the past 4 years... the last time being just a few months ago in Hollywood. I've read numerous replies here, and on the Chris Whitley board from fans who have never seen Chris live before. It was a complete pleasure each time, and I will never forget any of the shows, nor Chris' genuine sincerity when he thanked me for listening after each show. I truly feel for those who have not been able to witness a live CW show... the show about a year and a half ago I saw in San Diego was nothing short of beautiful, and I dare say a life changing experience. I also own Chris' entire catalogue from the past 14 years. For all of this I am grateful. Thank you Chris, you will be in my thoughts every single day.

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000