New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Zachmozach
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1534 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  11:21:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have only one thing to say about him right now and that is that eveyone must go out and buy either Algeria or Beyond the Sound Barrier. It's all I've really been listening to lately and it's just blowing me away the more I listen to it. No matter what your into Wayne is in my mind the greatest living composer around. This stuff is heavy. This music is seriously beautiful.

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  08:17:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wayne is my favorite living jazz artist. He embodies the perfect mix between miles and coltrane. He gives you those biting perfect notes, and unpredictablility of miles, with an edge of continually pushing like trane. I love his new album, i think even better than footprints live. Incredible music!

www.myspace.com/smileymnbass

http://itunes.apple.com/us/preorder/quartet-art/id423870767

www.mattsmiley.blogpost.com
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  4:05:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Once again Zach, thanks for posting this.

If you and Matt both dig this guy he must be amazing. Can't say I ever heard any of his music. Sometimes I wonder what planet I'm living on, how I miss these awesome musicians! I am gonna splurge and buy one (or both LOL) of your suggested CDs, I feel in a serious need for more music!

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

Zachmozach
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1534 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  10:19:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your welcome. I have known who Wayne was, but really only in like the last year have I really began to explore his music. The more I listen to it the more drawn in I become. Plus I'm playing a few of his tunes, which always makes it more interesting.

Matt have you heard anything from the Herbie Quartet that toured last summer? It was Herbie, Wayne, Dave Holland, and Blade. I've got like 11 discs worth of shows from the June and July and lets just say that is some bad shit. Playing out of all of their literature combined, but it's almost unrecognizable at times. It's heavy, but let me know if you're interested.

Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2005 :  8:36:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
woah, what the hell. i was not informed that herbie did that!!! It's like wayne's quartet, only how it should be!!! holy fuck, i gotta hear that. I just purchases the monk trane new cd, and bad plus's new albums...both of them are must haves...holy shit!

www.myspace.com/smileymnbass

http://itunes.apple.com/us/preorder/quartet-art/id423870767

www.mattsmiley.blogpost.com
Go to Top of Page

Zachmozach
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1534 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2005 :  6:19:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by victorwootenfan

woah, what the hell. i was not informed that herbie did that!!! It's like wayne's quartet, only how it should be!!! holy fuck, i gotta hear that. I just purchases the monk trane new cd, and bad plus's new albums...both of them are must haves...holy shit!

Shoot me an email with an adress and I'll send you a couple discs. Zachmozach@yahoo.com

Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2005 :  06:57:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Zach, got one of the CD's I ordered in the mail yesterday.(Algeria) Great to listen to! I am definitely loving it! Thanks!

Still hooked on Jaco Pastorius, his Donna Lee kicks ass! Every time I listen to it, I get goose bumps!

Why is it so many of my favorite musicians are dead? Damn! Jaco, Jeff Buckley, George Harrison, etc etc

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

Zachmozach
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1534 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2005 :  12:27:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad you like it. Wayne has such a harmonic depth and he knows how to make it speak.

I've never been able to figure out why so many great musicians died so young. Jaco was like only 33 or 34? It's too bad more people like that don't stick around to ripe old ages.

Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2005 :  8:56:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just got the CD Heavy Weather by Weather Report and low and behold who is in that group but Wayne Shorter! I didn't know he played in the band with Jaco! Small world!

Go to Top of Page

Zachmozach
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1534 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2005 :  11:54:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ya, weather report, that was one heck of a band. I still am more into Jaco outside of weather report, because his compositions with the Word of mouth band and all were simply amazing.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000