Radiohead doesnt suck
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

OnlySuperstition
Chatterbox

150 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2005 :  10:00:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This thread has no real relation to the other radiohead topic. That post started out as one thing and became something else. My post is only related by timing....

I have not been the biggest radiohead fan in the world and I have openly admitted that. One of my best friends (HopefulHomoWankers) has been shoving them in my face for years now and I just couldnt get into them. It took "Hail to the Thief" to convert me into a believer. I ask anyone who just doesnt love radiohead to buy this disc and give it a listen. I think you'll be surprised at how much this band is capable of. I think that they make some of the most depthy full sounding music thier is. The non traditional guitar sounds that are used are fantastic. I now also believe that Thom does have an excellent voice. It took the somg "Where You End and I Begin" to get me to appreciate how heaven sent/angel like his voice sounds (I am by no means religious). Give this CD a listen. The person who can truley says that it doesnt baffle them I would have to meet. I probably sound like a hump but fuck it. If can share this with one person who can appreciate it than it was worth it. Go to town folks. Tear into me as needed but I has to get this off my chest.

Slaughter, a word to live by....

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2005 :  1:38:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't care one way or the other, but that HotKoreanGuy will be back shortly to eviscerate you with illogic and irrationality.

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

OnlySuperstition
Chatterbox

150 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2005 :  5:14:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like i said in the thread, rip into me freely. Ignorance is always going to be in existance unless you have a solution. HotKoreanGirl bring it on baby. I'm just kidding its all good fun

Go to Top of Page

Robin
Yak Addict

USA
598 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2005 :  6:47:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Puleeeze! You will undoubtedly stir not so hot "Korean guy" into going on ad nauseum with this topic, which by the way is so very tired. Good that Radiohead makes ya happy though. Peace, Robin
Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  08:54:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Oh Puleeeze! You will undoubtedly stir not so hot "Korean guy" into going on ad nauseum with this topic,

LOL, my sentiments exactly. don't wake the beast!!and remember, there's a sure fire way to "kill a thread"......let it drop to the bottom. every once in awhile i'd enjoy MODERATOR privilages though!
Go to Top of Page

HotKoreanGirl
Chatterbox

130 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  5:29:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, predictably, I have returned. but at no one's unhappiness I hope.

Let me attempt to logically defend my position on radiohead.

Radiohead had their first commercial hit on the radio in the midst of the Nirvana/Smashing Pumpkins/Stone Temple Pilots/Alice in Chains/Pearl Jam days. Comparatively, they were nothing particularly good--in fact pretty inferior to those other bands. But by and large, after the mid 90's most of those bands had died off (some literally) or stopped producing great music. Radiohead suddenly resurfaced again on the radio with the hit Paranoid Android. At the time there was almost nothing else on the radio..Mellancholly and the Infinite Sadness was probably the last great Pop/rock album produced and that was 1995. Now 1997 rolls around. Pop/rock bands include Kid Rock, Limp Bizkit, Blink 182, Stained--basically all pure shit.

So Out of the shit comes something that shines a bit brighter. The music is Ironic compared to its counterparts. Is melodic, intelligent and creative...Suddenly people who love music have something to new to latch onto...sadly the ONLY thing half-worth latching onto. So while PopRock is falling off the face of the earth, Radiohead is busy resurfacing and making listen able tunes. In addition, a new generation of listeners is emerging--This is Post Generation X and Y now--not quite Generation D. They are about 11,12,13 years old. They are experimenting with Weed. They are buying their first albums. What on the Radio is even worth Listening to? You guessed it, Radiohead.

Radiohead is now the soundtrack to the lives of the new generation of adolescents. This is the music that they will be listening to while fresh Pubes are emerging. In their heads when they experience their first kiss, or perhaps romantic love/sexual experiences. When they are alone in their bedroom, this is their music. These adolescents are presently (circa 2005) about age 19-22. And I find they are among the strongest supporters of Radiohead, and represent their biggest fan base.

Here is one crux of why Radiohead sucks…they released their music at a time when there was no competition, to an audience whose music tastes were underdeveloped and became immensely popular. Their lyrics and subject matter would seem deep to the uninitiated, but anyone who has read a few books in their life, or questioned their existence once or twice will immediately notice radiohead’s material is exceedingly pretentious. I don’t understand what all the fuss is about. Musically, they have some decent melodic points, but it soon retreats into forgettable “Mysterious” monotony of Thom’s Wailing voice accompanying formulaic song structures.
Predominant message in the songs is:
“I am so SAAAAAAAAAAADDDDDD and I want to DIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!”
(To be said in that way exactly).
Go to Top of Page

sk8board1234567
Is Anybody Here?

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  9:22:59 PM  Show Profile  Send sk8board1234567 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Blagh, they're okay... They don't suck, that's for sure. But they're not the greatest band ever.
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  10:57:12 AM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Alright. I am here to state fact, of which HotPyongYangSeoulSausage clearly has no grasp of whatsoever.

- At the time Radiohead wrote most of the songs featured on their freshman album, Pablo Honey, they were in their early 20's (a couple in their late teens) in a time when the popular (ugh) form of music in America was "grunge." I beg you to find a debut album by yongsters that does not reveal influence by their contemporaries.

- Many esteemed critics (if you want quotes, I'll get them for you) believe that The Bends was of the best rock albums to come out of the mid 90's, released long before Paranoid Android was introduced. Debuted at no. 1 in the UK, and I believe no. 5 in the US, driven by the merit of such songs as Fake Plastic Trees, Just, and Street Spirit.

- Radiohead's major fan demographic is actually 24-35 year olds who found solace in their albums during the disgusting 1990's. I believe the goal of any band who cares about their music is to bring new listeners to it, which Radiohead has done with every subsequent album release. OK Computer most notably drawing attention from many well-respected music critics, yes music...not just rock critics, these critics, I assure you, are not 19-22 years old.

Listen, post a thread saying why whoever is your favorite band, so some other idiot like you can waste their time ripping you a new asshole. Keep your worthless opinion to yourself. I say it's worthless because of the contradictions it has presented through your many rambling posts. Lack of cohesion and any real concrete ideas does not a good argument make, especially not while followed by "Oh yeah, Subterranean Homesick Alien is good to smoke pot to." In any event, being that person who sticks out their fingers pointing at shit saying "I hate this and that because those people like this and that," is a pretty inane stance, and essentially that is what you are doing here.

And again, do you have any idea who Tim Reynolds is?

http://db.etree.org/hopefulrollingwaves/ < My Trading List
Go to Top of Page

HotKoreanGirl
Chatterbox

130 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  2:58:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From the bottom up:
Yes I know who Tim is...he's a singer/songwriter with a very christian background who later worked with Dave Matthews (another one who now sucks--not Tim, DAVE)

I can't help be annoyed by radiohead's popularity anymore than I am of britany Spears popularity. I don't mind brittany spears as much, because it's not music--it's just media conglomorates making money. That much is obvious. But radiohead's is undeserved..I seriously don't understand why people don't see through their shit...What is it you like better, the insipid wannabe intelligent lyrics, or the slowed-down dance-track rip-off melodies? They aren't even particuarly good at their instruments--something people on this message board seem to care about. It all adds up to a band of incredibly average proportions, whose popularity is immense and undeserved.

What about the early 90's music was disgusting? Some of last best rock came from that period. I'd argue the late 80's to early 90's marked the end of somewhat original rock. Even the grand cock-rock homos of guitar--Satriani, Vai, Johnson made their best stuff during that period.

24-35 year olds grew up with a lot of great (and retarded) music. I don't know many in that age group who are particuarly in love with them.

Go ahead, give me the quotes, It reminds me of Right-wing talkshowhosts praising whatever shitty job the Bush Admin is doing.

You're right, it was the Bends. Guns N Roses...not influence from the Bullshit hairbands you could say Axl had big hair at first, but the music was definitly not like Motley Crew, Kiss, or any of that other ass-raming glam rock. It was straight up down and dirty but also intelligent. Sort of like The Sex Pistols...but they were in the 70's.

The HotPyongYangSeoulSausage comment was funny.

Go to Top of Page

OnlySuperstition
Chatterbox

150 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  5:25:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am sorry that I have started this thread. I merely expressing wmy thoughts which i thought was the point of this message board in part. I will not comment on the radiohead topic anymore but if you dont mind please refrain from low blows to dave. He is still the shit. I never liked him with the band but him solo is still amazing. If you need reassurance please ask me i'll send you some shit the "doesnt suck".

BYE BYE

Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2005 :  08:28:40 AM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Crack, edit your posts, you type like shit.

Thanks, HKG.

Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2005 :  07:48:31 AM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
By the way, Eric Johnson, Steve Vai, and Joe Satriani (all of which I dislike save some of Johnson's music) were all SOLO artists...this is a band. You can be a human showcase when you are playing with 4 other guys, but you ruin the music. With Radiohead, it's about the symbiosis of the various sounds created by the other players, not some jackass wailing away on the Locrian Mode.

You don't like them, let it go. You don't see anyone here pounding you for seemingly enjoying the music of G'N'R...which I personally can't stand.

Go to Top of Page

OnlySuperstition
Chatterbox

150 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2005 :  09:21:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You dont like Guns N' Roses. What planet are you from. I think axel is dreamy. He's the perfect guy to bring home to mom and dad, they'll be so pleased. Um.... no

Its a good point about radiohead woking as group. They do achieve some depthy sounds. (if that makes any sense)

I still like you HKG... sort of

Go to Top of Page

HotKoreanGirl
Chatterbox

130 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2005 :  12:49:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey, just so you know OnlySuperstition, I picked myself up a copy of Kid A and I am going to give it a Fresh Listen. I am going to clear my mind of all the anti-establishment, popularity nonsense and focus on the music exclusively.

BTW, I think as long as we all understand this is all in good fun things will be alright.

Also, Radiohead seems to be popular with an audience wider than I realized...alot of 40-something academic types...these are primarilly the ones voting for this 885 greatest albums of all time...Kid A and The Bends made it into the top 100, and I have a strong suspicion that Ok Computer is going to make it into the top 25.

I long to masturbate.

Go to Top of Page

OnlySuperstition
Chatterbox

150 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2005 :  3:19:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hottie,

I commend your open mindedness about things. As i said right from the beginning my thread was not any any way, shape, or form directed to you. I have just recently gotten into radiohead myself and was just blown away. Like with everything else in life if i have discovered it i end up telling the whole world. You should check out Hail to the Thief. If you email your address to me at njpope@aol.com i would be glad to send you a copy of it.

Have a nice day!!

Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  07:58:14 AM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hope you enjoy, HKG, that's a great album.

Red wine and sleeping pills help me get back to your arms.

Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2005 :  08:06:43 AM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Crack, you piece of shit, I didn't notice before, but you can't whore out produced CD's like that, especially one you didn't buy, you fuckhead.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000