Expanding Our Repertoire
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

OnlySuperstition
Chatterbox

150 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2005 :  09:38:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am just looking to broaden my horizons when it comes to music. If you have TIMe list a band/album or two that you love and not many really know about that well. We can do some trading and gain some insight into other music we never knew existed

I nominate Broken Social Scene's U Forgot it in People. I will never forget the first time this crossed my path. They are kinda a modern jam band. They are not a hippy jam band.

I will also be willing to trade out Cake's Comfort Eagle. This is a bit more well know but I think people only know Cake by what is on the Radio/MTV and that is not a fair estimate of the quality of thier music. Great overal album

I also suggest Jethro Tull's Minstrel in the Gallery. THis is not like any other Tull i have heard. It as an acoustical, whimsical feel to it. Similar to an all acoustic Zep album but a tad bit folkier. I am not a huge fan of his but this is amust have.

Let me and each other know if you wanna trade some discs. There isn't much better of a feeling than discovering new music.

Slaughter, a word to live by....

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2005 :  11:18:25 AM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
www.dredg.com (from Cali, Favorite band at the moment)
www.marsvolta.com (Hated them at first, grew on me over time. First album is amazing. DONT SEE THEM LIVE UNLESS YOU LOVE THE ALBUMS FIRST.... their live show is just noise to the untrained ear.)
www.revolvingdoorsmusic.com (my band ...no bass or singer yet )
www.dayonesymphony.com (saw them open for dredg, great band)
www.chairpage.com (im sure you have heard of silverchair, but their last album is amazing, and way underapreciated.)
www.thezutons.com (opened for muse)

thats all i got for now.

ever heard of pink floyd?

Remember, turn off your tv. Read.
Go to Top of Page

guitarisPIMP
Yak Addict

Niue
587 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2005 :  3:24:24 PM  Show Profile  Send guitarisPIMP an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Just go to archive.org/audio/etree.php and click browse bands, and poke around there. You really have to pick randomly, but you can click on their homepage once you choose a band, and that can tell you alot about the band, and so can the reviews of the shows. Just last night I found 5 or 6 shows on that site that I am loving, a few of which are new bands to me.

Schleigo
Psychedelic Guitar C??? (forget name, don't wanna go into my music)
Donavan Frankenreiter
John Butler Trio
State Radio
Matt Costa
Animal Liberation Orchestra
Kaki King!!
CHARLIE HUNTER!! i was shocked to see him on archive, I never noticed it before. this one show is str8 improv the whole time, and it's orgasmic.

my favorite color is go fuck yourself. :D
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2005 :  9:14:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bela Fleck (In any form: Flecktones, w/ Edgar Meyer, Solo, New Grass, etc...)
Genesis (Peter Gabriel Era)
Peter Gabriel
Chris Whitley!!!
Afro Celts (Afro Celt Sound System)
Colin Hay
Lyle Lovett
Gary Jules
Elliott Smith
The Samples

That's all I can think of right now...

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

TalkingNeurons
Yak Addict

523 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2005 :  03:29:04 AM  Show Profile  Send TalkingNeurons an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well two bands/musicians I'm currently listening to are:

Aphex Twin (mainly his Drukqs album) and Sound Tribe Sector 9. Right now I'm listening to drum and bass radio from dnbradio.com.

"Now that's ripe!"

lnk cr b82rez 2g4
"Me was tryin' to save time."
Go to Top of Page

Robin
Yak Addict

USA
598 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2005 :  05:18:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Minstral is one of my fave Tull Albums, nice to hear you're liking it. Right now I'm in an emotional phase. Death cab for Cutie, and luce are what I've been listening to. Neither are mind blowing, but kind of pure songwriting and good melodies. Like seeing art that doesn't hit too hard but still has integrity and is different enough. I'm rambling...Peace, Robin
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000