Best Bach Pieces
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CPPJames
Yak Addict

Fyro Macedonia
800 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2005 :  11:46:45 AM  Show Profile  Send CPPJames an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I've taken a liking to classical music, specifically Bach as of late. Anyone recommend any specific pieces/concertos/etc. that I should find? I'm completely new to classical in general...but I'd like to grab the stuff that's really stellar. There's so much to sift through right now. Thanks!

Zachmozach
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1534 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2005 :  1:32:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been listening to some of the Brandenburg concertos recently. I also really enjoy listening to his organ works. It's almost a general rule with Bach though that if he wrote it, it's good. He wrote so much I haven't even begun to hear the full scope of what Bach meant musically and few people have. Since he wrote such an incredible amount I would consider checking his music out by instrumentation in the begining.

Go to Top of Page

Banjobach
Is Anybody Here?

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2005 :  7:29:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
check out dvorak's symphony #9 from the new world. One piece is called allegro con fueco or something but it is simply awesome. Anything he did from the "New World" is pretty cool.
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2005 :  01:31:29 AM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i would have to say his Mass in B Minor is my favorite. but when you stop to consider the amount of bach i've heard as compared to the total amount, you have to take that with a grain of salt.

as for other classical, i suggest stravinsky's 3 Ballet Russes: Petrushka, The Firebird Suite, and Le Sacre du Printemps. also his Symphony of Pslams is awesome. and Rismky-Korsokav's Russian Easter is awesome. Respighi's "The Pines of Rome" is excellent. there's just so much good music.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

bugman96
Chatterbox

148 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2005 :  1:09:17 PM  Show Profile  Send bugman96 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Cello suites
Go to Top of Page

Zachmozach
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1534 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2005 :  1:18:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bugman96

Cello suites

Played on the upright bass by Edgar Meyer. That is astonishing.

Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2005 :  6:45:00 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Air For G String... or something to that effect.

Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2005 :  12:42:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Posted - 08/23/2005 : 1:09:17 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cello suites

Plyed by Segovia! Cello Suite in G major! Awesome (as is anything by Segovia!)

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

JoeGamo05
Chatterbox

USA
279 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2005 :  11:08:23 AM  Show Profile  Send JoeGamo05 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
you should check out one of Belafleck's albums, it's all classical on banjo... has 3-4 bach pieces in there

When the trees start walking, the ground starts moving, your insane, your insane
Go to Top of Page

Jorg
Is Anybody Here?

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2005 :  05:35:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
allemande on the cello by yoyo ma is one of the most relaxing songs ever.

8=0
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2005 :  1:01:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cello suites, my favorite. I'm learning the G major minuets right now, on the ol' upright. yes, i do love edger meyer's version. Francois rabbath has a good bass version as well. Also cello wise, janos starker plays the hell out of em, good stuffs!

www.myspace.com/smileymnbass

http://itunes.apple.com/us/preorder/quartet-art/id423870767

www.mattsmiley.blogpost.com
Go to Top of Page

Zachmozach
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1534 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2005 :  2:50:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rabbath was an animal. Edgar is as well, or maybe an alien from another planet.

Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2005 :  3:57:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm still hoping to study with Rabbath one day...or least get a lesson with him or something. there's always hope, one of my friends at school has done stuff with rabbath, and my professor also has studied some with rabbath. he's the man!

www.myspace.com/smileymnbass

http://itunes.apple.com/us/preorder/quartet-art/id423870767

www.mattsmiley.blogpost.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000