final fantasy concert
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pants_happy
Chatterbox

412 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2005 :  5:25:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
went to it on july 23rd. drove a thousand miles to detroit, and a thousand miles back. stayed in a piss soaked motel (2 star, no less; complete with prostitute and thugs) in the middle of ghetto downtown detroit. no offense to people who live there, but it looks like someone dropped an A-bomb there, and the people didn't even try to rebuild. concert was great. played one winged angel...twice. i was going to write a huge thing on it, but having to find a new apartment, clean, and move in two and a half days (no, i was not evicted, i just procrastinate...alot) drained me of all of my energy. but i did get planescape torment, and the stories about it are true. sorry that this thread is boring to everyone, possibly excluding dan. eggo waffles.

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2005 :  5:53:49 PM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Final Fantasy? As in the RPG series? I always really liked the music from all of those. Pardon my ignorance.

http://db.etree.org/hopefulrollingwaves/ < My Trading List
Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2005 :  5:59:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i love FF7's music.

used to have it on my comp but lost it.

Remember, turn off your tv. Read.
Go to Top of Page

pants_happy
Chatterbox

412 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2005 :  7:42:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yep, from the rpg series, symphony-orchestra style. the tour finished with detroit (saturday & sunday; i attended saturday). i had read a review from gamespot about it and how uematsu and the creater of final fantasy was there, but he/they didn't show up for the detroit one, they just played a video of him apologizing and saying to enjoy the concert (i kinda felt like bart at kamp krusty then). the orchestra was amazing; the conductor was really into the songs; they had three really large plasma screens that showed footage...from the games sometimes... but mostly of the orchestra. most of the songs they played came from 7, 8, and 10, with a few from 6,9,11, and then a medley from final fantasy 1-3 near the end(and it was really weird hearing the music from chaos's temple from final fanasy 1, but probably the coolest part). for the encore they played one winged angle (which wasn't on the program), and for the second encore...played it again. the choir was a high school choir, who, when they became confident, were actually quite amazing.

while waiting for a taxi, we met an australian who came up for the orchestra (and we thought we had traveled far) and gencon (he said for some mechwarrior videogame. i didn't know they had videogames at gencon).

funny story about the motel...keep in mind this is smack in the middle of the slums...the next day, the little old pakistani or indian guy that ran it asked us if anything "happened" the night before, we said no, and he said "Really?", as if he was expecting us to get robbed. fuck, seeing all of the drug dealers there (with the really nice cars), we actually expected to get robbed. what a trip!
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2005 :  7:59:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW! I hope Patrick sees this! He burned me a whole bunch of final fantasy music! I love it! I bet that was really awesome!

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

pants_happy
Chatterbox

412 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2005 :  8:11:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it was just wonderful. speaking of patrick, they actually had a sort of double concert in LA on may 16th (orchestra then uematsu's own band, the "black mages" (who play really good electric final fantasy music... http://na.square-enix.com/uematsu/black_mages/index.html) that i wish i could've went to.
they played zanarkand at the concerts, which is actually different than the music in the game when you're in zanarkand, but just as good.
i "got" final fantasy orchestra music from a certain internet music/things downloading site; that's what prompted me to go in person.
Go to Top of Page

pants_happy
Chatterbox

412 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2005 :  8:14:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
congrats on the 3000th post, Pam!
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2005 :  10:30:16 AM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
goddamn it, i want to see that. that sounds kick ass.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2005 :  12:23:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HAHAHAHA I didn't even notice my post count!

Translation: I have or had, way too much free TIMe. LOL

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2005 :  6:33:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Damn! Wish I had known about it back in May. I love Nobuo Uematsu's music, and I'm disappointed that he isn't going to be very involved in FFXII. I think he's only composing the main theme. I think that the greatest aspect of the FF series is the music. I have the Japanese 4 disc CDs for FFVII, FFVIII, and FFX, as well as a bunch of downloaded music in orchestra and piano. I could sit and just listen to his music for hours.

I've been playing Xenosaga Ep. 1 and 2 recently, and I think these games could be a lot better if they improved the music. Hell, there are very dramatic scenes in the games and there is either NO music playing or really stupid repetitive Japanese happy songs. Luckily there are movie soundtracks like The Last Samurai and Road to Perdition to keep me satisfied.

Before these games, I had no interest in orchestra music, but now I love it. Here are some of my favorites that I can remember off the top of my head.

FFVII - Cloud's Theme, Aeris' Theme, Vincent's Theme, Tifa's Theme, One Winged Angel, Cid's Theme, Cosmo Canyon

FFVIII - Blue Fields, Breezy, The Oath, The Salt Flats, Overture, Don't Be Afraid

FFX - Wandering Flame, To Zanarkand, Path of Repentance, Isn't It Beautiful

The list can go on and on. I remember sometimes I would just stop playing the game to listen to the music,

Gay marriage killed the dinosaurs.
Go to Top of Page

Mechman293
Chatterbox

129 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2005 :  9:25:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Final Fantasy music is some of my favorite music ever, Final Fantasy VII is probably one of the best soundtracks ever for game or movie.

Thats awesome ya got to see it live in concert.

Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2005 :  11:39:10 AM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i've always like the safe room music from one of the resident evil games. either 2 or 3.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

pants_happy
Chatterbox

412 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2005 :  5:31:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
here's what they played (conductor: arnie roth):

liberi fatali
to zanarkand
terra's theme
theme of love
dear friends
vamo'alla flamenco
love grows

intermission

aeris's theme
you're not alone
ronfaure
final fantasy 1-3 medley
cloud smiles (from upcoming advent children)
final fantasy

encore: one winged angel

second encore: one winged angel

probably the most kick ass songs were the chocobo/flamenco songs, which starred a really talented guitarist.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/03/08/news_6119898.html
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2005 :  6:55:01 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i remember banging my face against the wall working out the abilities grid. you want to talk about needlessly difficult to grasp. that fucking grid was needlessly difficult to grasp. i remember wishing i was dead like 8 times.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2005 :  12:27:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The abilities grid sucked....but it wasn't nearly as bad as the Draw system from FFVIII. It took so long to draw out 100 magics for each of the three characters. In my opinion, the Materia system was the best. That and the job class system from FF Tactics.

Go to Top of Page

pants_happy
Chatterbox

412 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2005 :  5:00:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
really? i thought that the abilities grid was the best part about ffx, outside of the music (although being able to master nemesis was cool, but not too difficult). i kinda liked the draw system from ffviii too (you could make uber characters; squall had about 6-7 turns a turn, compared to someone like zell). the only thing i didn't like about that was that in order to cast a damn spell, you had to use one from your stockpile, which basically meant the stat attached to that would be instantly lowered. but i do agree that the materia system was by far the best.
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2005 :  11:17:20 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
my favorite part was the fucking blitzball cinema in the beginning. when he wails that guy out of the sphere, and then sin comes and shits all over everything. intense.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Erich
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1427 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2005 :  12:14:14 AM  Show Profile  Send Erich an AOL message  Reply with Quote
No love for the FF6 Esper system? Materia was great, though, probably the best system FF ever had.

~pw'oikr
~( ">
Go to Top of Page

TalkingNeurons
Yak Addict

523 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2005 :  01:25:09 AM  Show Profile  Send TalkingNeurons an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erich

No love for the FF6 Esper system? Materia was great, though, probably the best system FF ever had.

And FFVIII's junctioning system being the most fucking confusing.

But a Final Fantasy concert is something I'd love to go to, except I wouldn't tell anyone about it...

"Now that's ripe!"

lnk cr b82rez 2g4
"Me was tryin' to save time."
Go to Top of Page

pants_happy
Chatterbox

412 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2005 :  3:57:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

blitzball was really fun at first, but it got old when you had to play 10 games in a row for a single crappy prize. and no matter what, your opponents were just as lame as the last team. it just got easy to the point of boredom. the arena was fun, but when you figured out the process of how to beat the toughest monsters, it became just that: a process. but getting unlimited amounts of the best weapons and armour in the game was kinda fun. my favourite part was probably the music and the smooth graphics. not the voiceovers, however.
yep, the beginning was really cool. that's more than i can say for ffx-2, however.

quote:
Originally posted by Erich

ff6 and ff4 are my two favourite final fantasies. espers were pretty cool, but they just can't match the versitility of the materia system. but unlike most final fantasy's, the esper system came from the story (kinda like in ff7), versus the system being seperate and completely unrelated to the story.
Go to Top of Page

pants_happy
Chatterbox

412 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2005 :  3:58:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TalkingNeurons
But a Final Fantasy concert is something I'd love to go to, except I wouldn't tell anyone about it...

NERD!!!
|\|3|2o|!!!

Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2005 :  12:26:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone listen to the Afro Celts? A lot of their music reminds me of stuff from Chrono Trigger. Especially the Magic Land/Zeal part.

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Banjobach
Is Anybody Here?

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2005 :  01:03:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i must say as a ff7 fanatic, that when i heard one-winged angel played by a symphony, i couldnt help but smile. I know its pretty nerdy and all, but goddamn, that score is by far the best ever concieved out of all ff music. And ff7 was the best of em all, they are making a sequel to that on dvd or something called final fantasy Advent children. I spent hundreds of hours on that game
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2005 :  4:24:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I think they are also coming out with a PS2 game called The Dirge of Cerberus, which has to do with Vincent from FFVII. Here's a link

http://www.ff7-doc.com/

I would love it if they re-did FFVII with some better graphics and some good (better than FFX) voice acting. I think I would buy 2 of them in case one got damaged or lost.

Go to Top of Page

TalkingNeurons
Yak Addict

523 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2005 :  9:49:37 PM  Show Profile  Send TalkingNeurons an AOL message  Reply with Quote
They're also making a mobile game staring the Turks, along with Dirge of Cerberus.

And Advent Children is a CG movie set a few years after the events of FFVII. I've read that it's coming out on both DVD and PSP, but I've also read that it's PSP exclusive. So I dunno, I don't feel like spending $300 for this movie (though I probably will eventually). At any rate, it looks fucking amazing. Spirits Within quality (maybe better).

You can see the newest trailor here:

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/dvd/ff7ac/

Just go to the Trailors section.

"Now that's ripe!"

lnk cr b82rez 2g4
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2005 :  10:23:07 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
speaking of voice acting, i'd like to punch rikku a couple of times.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Banjobach
Is Anybody Here?

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2005 :  11:41:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm this makes me wonder if there is some sort of co-relation with tim reynolds music and final fantasy games haha.
Go to Top of Page

pants_happy
Chatterbox

412 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2005 :  12:52:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pcbTIM

I think they are also coming out with a PS2 game called The Dirge of Cerberus, which has to do with Vincent from FFVII. Here's a link

http://www.ff7-doc.com/

I would love it if they re-did FFVII with some better graphics and some good (better than FFX) voice acting. I think I would buy 2 of them in case one got damaged or lost.

the game's name is actually "vincent may cry".

speaking of ff7...

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/rpg/finalfantasyvii/index.html

PLEASE NO VOICE ACTING!!!*

*crappy voice acting strictly prohibited. void if it's as good as in dark alliance 2, pleez.

Go to Top of Page

pants_happy
Chatterbox

412 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2005 :  12:55:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dan p.

speaking of voice acting, i'd like to punch rikku a couple of times.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/britainsciencehearing;_ylt=AqCVsJPmb..dkCqDG_6QdE6s0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3ODdxdHBhBHNlYwM5NjQ-
Go to Top of Page

Mechman293
Chatterbox

129 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2005 :  01:06:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From what I've seen on Advent Children It's suppose to be out for DVD and PSP on 9/14/05, but then again release dates tend to change..

...hopefully they won't poorly dub it into English

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2005 :  3:30:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yuna was terrible too. I think half her lines were "Yes" and "No". And of course, Tidus was a whiny bitch. The only ones that were any good were Auron and Lulu. But they didn't have as big roles as they should have.

And if they ARE going to make a remake of FFVII for PS3, then I am definitely going to buy the console just for that game.

And speaking of voice acting, the only game that I've played so far with decent voice acting was Kingdom Hearts...probably because they were filled with professional voice actors (Dan Castenella) and regular actors (Haley Joel Osment, Billy Zane, and James Woods).

Go to Top of Page

TalkingNeurons
Yak Addict

523 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2005 :  5:53:32 PM  Show Profile  Send TalkingNeurons an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Metal Gear games always had good voice acting.

quote:
speaking of ff7...

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/rpg/finalfantasyvii/index.html

PLEASE NO VOICE ACTING!!!*

I don't see a difference.

"Now that's ripe!"

lnk cr b82rez 2g4
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2005 :  6:59:07 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
auron is sufficiently badass.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

pants_happy
Chatterbox

412 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2005 :  7:03:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i agree. by far the best character in the game. lulu too. they're the only ones that didn't feel "cartoony".
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2005 :  11:27:29 AM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
ok. here's the thread i was looking for.

in case anyone hasn't beaten this game yet, or plans to (which i doubt) spoilers ahead.

ok. so auron is an unsent, right? yunalesca killed him, and no one sent him to the farplane. so he's like mica and seymour. how come ressurect and phoenix downs work on him? or even potions for that matter? seems to me like those would kill him. also, why didn't he turn into a fiend like most unsent do?

and while we're at it, there's one more thing i don't get. i understand that part about tidus being part of a dream of some dead society. but i distinctly recall auron being there at zanarkand when sin attacks it. as i recall he's walking along some statue on top of a skyscraper, already an unsent. and he helps tidus escape zanarkand. so does tidus die and then the fayth dream him up again? or is tidus and auron a thousand years old? or was that whole attack part of the dream. and if it was part of the dream, how come sin attack it?

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

pants_happy
Chatterbox

412 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2005 :  12:13:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*not claiming that anything i say is right.
quote:
Originally posted by dan p.

ok. so auron is an unsent, right? yunalesca killed him, and no one sent him to the farplane. so he's like mica and seymour. how come ressurect and phoenix downs work on him? or even potions for that matter? seems to me like those would kill him.

i don't think the devs went that deep with their thinking. companies break rules all the time for the purpose of gameplay (you can never die. if you do, the game starts at its last save. being immortal and time traveling to your last save before you died is not covered by the story.)
quote:

also, why didn't he turn into a fiend like most unsent do?

i don't know about this one. maybe like the above? perhaps to add some pseudo mystery or depth that really isn't there? or maybe he just knows more than anyone else, so found ways around it? more discipline than other dead people, thus mica and seymore are in the same boat as auron? maybe he was also a dream, and his unsent self is somewhere else? maybe his vow to titus's father binds him to titus, above being unsent?
quote:

and while we're at it, there's one more thing i don't get. i understand that part about tidus being part of a dream of some dead society. but i distinctly recall auron being there at zanarkand when sin attacks it. as i recall he's walking along some statue on top of a skyscraper, already an unsent. and he helps tidus escape zanarkand. so does tidus die and then the fayth dream him up again? or is tidus and auron a thousand years old? or was that whole attack part of the dream. and if it was part of the dream, how come sin attack it?

what i understood from the game was that both titus and auron are 1000 years old, and titus did exist in the past, auron never left spira because he was unsent (sin exists today, jecht used to have a son, and supposedly sent auron to him via himself). so titus died, and the fayth dreamt him up again because he's the only one who could stop his father.
maybe auron lied (for the purpose of making titus grow enough to defeat sin) and he couldn't do actual time travel with sin, but went to zanarkand in the present to fetch titus to stop sin. then the reason for sin in the dream would be for titus to know what sin is and does.

...or if auron could actually time travel via sin, titus would be real (i think that the time travel is pretty much discounted. titus starts out by thinking he time traveled into the future from a thousand years ago until he learns the truth...he's really a dream of a dead city.)
Go to Top of Page

Mechman293
Chatterbox

129 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2005 :  4:46:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Something interesting I found Final Fantasy related.

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/dvd/ff7ac/

The background vocals I found interesting.

Unforntunlly I haven't played FFX so I can't help with that.
If anyone knows where I could find a PS2 cheap, that be appreciated.

edit: 100 post, w00t.

Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2005 :  11:50:11 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i believe the most probable thing is as follows:
zanarkand was destroyed in the great machina war.
the fayth dream it back up.
a lot of time goes by. sins come and go.
braska, auron, and jecht fight sin. braska dies, yu yevon makes aeon jecht sin. auron becomes more badass, if that's possible.
auron rides sin (or jecht as sin takes auron with him) into the fayth's dream zanarkand to pick up dream tidus and bring him out to present day spira. the first cinema happens.
final fantasy x happens.
the fayth wake up. dream tidus goes away. yuna bitches.

that makes the most sense to me.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

pants_happy
Chatterbox

412 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2005 :  3:16:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that sounds like what i was thinking, but in a less jumbled fashion.
Go to Top of Page

Offspring
Try A Little Harder

65 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2005 :  11:33:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Saint Jude

i love FF7's music.

used to have it on my comp but lost it.

Final fantasy has the sweetest music is any game. Very Very good sound track

My band
|