New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Banjobach
Is Anybody Here?

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2005 :  5:12:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When tim plays, does anyone know if he anchors his hand in any way like with his pinky or his palm on the bridge? When he altenate picks and when he finger picks, i would like to know his style for both. Or does he hover over the strings?

guitarisPIMP
Yak Addict

Niue
587 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2005 :  7:46:17 PM  Show Profile  Send guitarisPIMP an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Every time I've looked at his hand I've seen it hovered. His picking styles and slapping techniques kind of make that a prerequisite to playing his way. That's for fingerpicking, anywho.

As for flatpicking, I've never heard of anyone archoring with a finger while flatpicking, but I'm sure he frequently rests his palm on the bridge for muting.

And maybe I should put this in another thread called "Tim's left hand," but I admire his left-hand technique most, beacuse of all the little bends, vibratos, things i've never heard another guitarist do to add color to his tone. His microtonal playing fucking boggles my mind.

my favorite color is go fuck yourself. :D
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2005 :  10:42:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you want right hand Tim Magic, Los Alamos is Burning! The end part where he plays the bass line and insanely picks the one note! I've only heard that done by one other person and that was Bela Fleck on the Banjo.

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

guitarisPIMP
Yak Addict

Niue
587 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2005 :  10:55:53 PM  Show Profile  Send guitarisPIMP an AOL message  Reply with Quote
It's a classical technique I think, and he does that kind of jam at the end of jemez alot too, and it's sexy sexy sexy sexy.

my favorite color is go fuck yourself. :D
Go to Top of Page

Banjobach
Is Anybody Here?

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2005 :  11:34:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for the help. Actually those electric guitar shredders like yngwie malmsteen and steve vai all anchor their hands on the bridge when they flat pick at insane speeds. But they are more by the book in comparison to Tim reynolds. And tim plays acoustic so im wondering how i can get the best speed for an acoustic since thats all i play.
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2005 :  11:36:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it's whatever you can play fast with. Some people can play fast anchored. Some with the "hover" approach. I find that it changes for me. If I'm fingerpicking, I'm never anchored, except I'll support my hand with my pinky. If I'm picking I'll find my palm resting on the bridge.

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2005 :  11:02:30 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i hate having my pinky resting somewhere, pick style or fingerstyl/classical. i suppose that it might allow you to play faster with a pick because it restricts movement of the right hand. it takes less time to travel less distance after all. but i feel it impedes me too much if i want to change tone color (pontecello or tasto.) it just gets in the way. when i play with a pick though, i tend to play with my hand nearer the bridge, since i do a fair amount of palm muting.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2005 :  5:51:51 PM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Sidenote : Sad to see the Moonites go, Dan P.

http://db.etree.org/hopefulrollingwaves/ < My Trading List
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2005 :  7:27:36 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
yeah man. me too. they had plans regarding the bruising of the aqua teens' asses. they might be back later.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Micheal
Try A Little Harder

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2005 :  11:03:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Micheal's Homepage  Send Micheal an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Tim's bio states and I agree after seeing him play up close several times, that "he is a master of every guitar technique and then some".
What stands out to me is how relaxed his hand is.

KUCINICH 2008
REYNOLDS 2012
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000