New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Zachmozach
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1534 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2005 :  11:42:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is anyone here into serial composition or composition relating to the twelve tone systems? Or does anyone here have any opinions on serial compostion? I'm just getting in to it, but man it can be complex.

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2005 :  10:47:46 AM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i use set theory to write sometimes. i've only done one thing using a 12 tone matrix. 12 tone stuff doesn't really lend itself to guitar all that much, but it's doable.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Zachmozach
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1534 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2005 :  5:44:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ya I haven't tried composing anything for guitar using twelve tone systems, just piano. I can't even really imagine doing anything on guitar cause it would be a pain in the ass to play.

Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2005 :  10:55:43 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
it's tough, because a lot of the octave displacement and almost hocket-like disjointing of the row melody is hard for a guitar to achieve. it's also difficult in terms of expression. i mean, compared to the piano, the guitar as almost no dynamic range. i ended up scrapping the one thing i did with 12 tone because neither myself nor the instrument could really make it work. set theory is far better for guitar composition.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000