Contest help (asap)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Batstone
Chatterbox

Canada
281 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2005 :  6:38:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Batstone's Homepage  Send Batstone an AOL message  Reply with Quote
hey, im entering a local guitar contest.. and i have to go in and play a song.... if u win u get a marshall stack amp and a 2000 electric guitar! im playing on wed.... wat should i play? i really want to win ahah.. i was thinking tim renyolds..... out of the tim songs i can paly wat would be the most impressive?

Valley Of Flowers
Rheginos and the Ressurection
And Then They Were Free
Hopeful Heresey
Jemez Rolling Waves
High In The West

well there the best tim songs i can paly.... and its only about a 30 second clip being recorded? what do u ppl think? im goin into play on wed afternoon... i was thinking Rheginos and the ressurection

o well... let me know wat u think and thanks

u can hear all of the entrys so far here

http://www.ozfm.com/contests/guitarmageddon/audio/contestants.html

do i have a chance of winning with playing one of these songs?

www.myspace.com/adambatstone

guitarisPIMP
Yak Addict

Niue
587 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2005 :  7:17:21 PM  Show Profile  Send guitarisPIMP an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Go for it man, and give it your all. I'd say rheginos also, if you can play it really clean.

My main suggestions are speed is not everything; it's better to have ever note sound wonderful than play real fast, and if you have a program like audacity or some sound editting program, clean up the sound to make it sound all studio-fresh and sexy-like.

my favorite color is go fuck yourself. :D
Go to Top of Page

Batstone
Chatterbox

Canada
281 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2005 :  8:02:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Batstone's Homepage  Send Batstone an AOL message  Reply with Quote
hey, thanks for responding. I do have confidence in my version of Rheginos.... il be so sad if i lose tho ahah... hmm.. its gonan sound good i ithnk in te recording...all i need to do tommorow night is touch up the fills in the verse.. u know the fast crazy parts?

hmm....

Go to Top of Page

Batstone
Chatterbox

Canada
281 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2005 :  8:05:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Batstone's Homepage  Send Batstone an AOL message  Reply with Quote
hey.. if i can play every note clean and fast.. i only have a 30 second clip.. should i apl the song at double speed??? i think that be sick.. but mabye to fast.... i just know how stupid ppl are and the ppl who judge this contest prolly only think good guitar, is fast guitar....

Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2005 :  8:17:22 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
if it's like every guitar contest, there's going to be a lot of people playing as fast as they can and sounding bad. if you play as cleanly as you can, even if that means sacrificing some speed.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2005 :  07:59:32 AM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'd play Chopsticks.

http://db.etree.org/hopefulrollingwaves/ < My Trading List
Go to Top of Page

Kenneth
Chatterbox

218 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2005 :  09:50:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd say go with Rheginos, or whichever song you're more comfortable with. Rheginos is a personal fav of mine. I agree with the others though, play as clean as possible. If you're just trying to shred and aren't grabing each note clearly then obviously your performance won't be as good as if it were slowed down a bit.
Go to Top of Page

skyline
Chatterbox

USA
143 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2005 :  1:27:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit skyline's Homepage  Send skyline an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I had fun listening to those.

I loved hearing the Rain Song from that one guy...it was such a nice break from all the typical metal scales and such...man, those grate on my nerves!

http://www.dmbforums.com
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2005 :  1:49:48 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
metal scales \m/

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Batstone
Chatterbox

Canada
281 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2005 :  1:36:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Batstone's Homepage  Send Batstone an AOL message  Reply with Quote
hey... well i entered and you can hear my entry here

http://www.ozfm.com/contests/guitarmageddon/audio/mp3/mp5/Adam%20Batstone.mp3

and if that dosent work just click the link in my first post..... and find the name Adam Batstone

(thats me)
wat do u guys think?

Go to Top of Page

JemezFoodPeople
Chatterbox

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2005 :  2:19:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit JemezFoodPeople's Homepage  Send JemezFoodPeople an AOL message  Reply with Quote
playing sounds very smooth. I wish the EQ on the recording was a lil better though :/ I'd love to see you play that tune. good work.

"Do you have the patience to wait
till your mud settles and the water is clear?
Can you remain unmoving
till the right action arises by itself?"
-Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

www.mattwinn.com
Go to Top of Page

Batstone
Chatterbox

Canada
281 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2005 :  2:25:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Batstone's Homepage  Send Batstone an AOL message  Reply with Quote
thanks... yeah they gave me like 30 seconds to practice it ahah... and 3 tries...i can prolly play it better when im not under pressure... i mean the whole store could hear me.. i dont really like that lol.... o ya, ive only been playing for year and a half, so hopefully i will get better

Go to Top of Page

Zachmozach
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1534 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2005 :  10:26:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's not bad. Still could use some work though. I think you should have slowed it down just a little and expressed it a little more. There is a little bit of uneveness and a certain uneasy feeling to it that even though it settled some never quite left. I'm sure the nerves issue had something to do with that and I feel ya because I strugle with the same thing. Always have and it's getting easier to get past, but it's still a challenge. I would reccomend slowing it down and playing it with a meternome. Then when you get the thing smoothed out a little bump it up slowly and you'll have it.

Great job though just to get up and play with coherence. If you haven't even been playing 2 years yet stay with it and if you want to play a lot of acoustic study classically and you'll really see a big leap in your ability.

Go to Top of Page

Batstone
Chatterbox

Canada
281 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2005 :  09:53:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Batstone's Homepage  Send Batstone an AOL message  Reply with Quote
hey yeah, the reason i played it fastis cause i only had 30 seconds.. and i really wanted ot get the most out of the chorus... (i think its the best part)

Go to Top of Page

Batstone
Chatterbox

Canada
281 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2005 :  7:27:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Batstone's Homepage  Send Batstone an AOL message  Reply with Quote
yeah.. i never won.. but its okay.. i guess i should be happy i at least tried ahah.. and plus, when i started playing rheginos.. ppl started coming over to me asking me if i was in music school.. and who the song was by...

Go to Top of Page

guitarisPIMP
Yak Addict

Niue
587 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2005 :  1:37:45 PM  Show Profile  Send guitarisPIMP an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Batstone

yeah.. i never won.. but its okay.. i guess i should be happy i at least tried ahah.. and plus, when i started playing rheginos.. ppl started coming over to me asking me if i was in music school.. and who the song was by...

AHAH the same thing happens to me when I play Tim songs in guitar stores. There's just something about some of his songs that catch people's ears.

my favorite color is go fuck yourself. :D
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000