New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Robin
Yak Addict

USA
598 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2005 :  4:21:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone really know, why we are subject to the whims of whoever made the decision to change the clocks forward and back? I for one cannot stand it. I was already waking earlier with the sun, and it was beginning to stay light longer. In Hawaii they keep the clocks at the standard TIMe. Maybe I'll move there....Happy Monday regardless.Peace, Robin

therippa
Fluffy-Esque

Kazakhstan
1099 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2005 :  4:42:15 PM  Show Profile  Send therippa an AOL message  Reply with Quote
All you could ever want to know...

Wikipedia Entry on Daylight Saving Time

Aspiring to Be Fluffy-Esque an Alien Abductee!
Go to Top of Page

{=HTG=}
Alien Abductee

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2005 :  5:04:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, stupid time changing. I was almost late for work . . .no wait, I dont have a job. *swish*

'HTG, are you a cute girl?'
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2005 :  6:12:08 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I like it. I like "longer days". I like that now instead of 1.5 hours of light after work, there are 2.5, and growing, like you said. So here's one vote in favor.

Tim Reynolds Downloads
I am not the albatross of love, I am the human ellipsis. I am dot dot dot. - Leo Kottke

I hate beating people over the head with anything. We can all make up our own minds. What we don’t have is enough music. More music please. - Leo Kottke
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2005 :  8:10:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
In celebration of said occasion, I learned a ripping arrangement of The Girl From Ipanema.

Anyway, I think time change is bullshit, it's for fuckin' farmers who don't need it anymore, and it makes winter really goddamn depressing.

I was stuck on a roof all day, which I guess is just as bad, but at least I had spring's sweet sun blinding me all day. Here com'a the summa.

http://db.etree.org/hopefulrollingwaves/ < My Trading List
Go to Top of Page

Robin
Yak Addict

USA
598 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2005 :  9:16:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the link, you're right more information than one would ever need to know. Still think it should maybe only happen on the north east areas of the U.S. it gets light here in Ca earlier and stays light later as it is. but I too am looking forward to Summer. Yawn Yawn.....Peace, Robin
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2005 :  04:40:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your question. I knew Arizona and Hawaii didn't play, and I knew that we turn our clocks on different days in the EU, but that was about it. I have just learned a whole bunch more...

Indiana, Hawaii and Arizona are the three states that do not observe the yearly time change. There are probably many countries that don't, but they're not in the EU. (Maybe Switzerland?)

More than one billion people in about 70 countries around the world observe DST in some form. Here are interesting facts about some of these countries:

• Most of Canada uses Daylight Saving Time. Some exceptions include the majority of Saskatchewan and parts of northeastern British Columbia.
  • It wasn't until 1996 that our NAFTA neighbors in Mexico adopted DST. Now all three Mexican time zones are on the same schedule as the United States.
  • Also in 1996, members of the European Union agreed to observe a "summer-time period" from the last Sunday in March to the last Sunday in October.
  • In the winter months, Russia, which spans over 11 time zones, is always one hour ahead of standard time. In the summer, Russians turn their clocks ahead one more hour.
  • Most countries near the equator don't deviate from standard time.
  • In the Southern Hemisphere, where summer arrives in what we in the Northern Hemisphere consider the winter months, DST is observed from late October to late March.
  • Three large regions in Australia do not participate in DST. Western Australia, the Northern Territory, and Queensland stay on standard time all year. The remaining south-central and southeastern sections of the continent (which is where Sydney and Melbourne are found) make the switch. This results in both vertical and horizontal time zones Down Under during the summer months
  • China, which spans five time zones, is always eight hours ahead of Greenwich Mean Time and it does not observe DST.
  • In Japan, DST was implemented after World War II by the U.S. occupation. In 1952 it was abandoned because of strong opposition by Japanese farmers.

Also, here's an article about how seriously (read: legislation!) some places take the whole thing: http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,42754,00.html
Go to Top of Page

skyline
Chatterbox

USA
143 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2005 :  08:20:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit skyline's Homepage  Send skyline an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Whatever...

I'm just glad that I now have time to go out and run the trails by the river after work before the sun goes down...

I don't like running through the woods in the dark

http://www.dmbforums.com
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2005 :  2:33:05 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Let me assure you as a TM these changes, and especially the states that don't observe it really make scheduling drives and arrivals more difficult. Throw in crossing TIMe Zone lines and it becomes so much math just to figure out what TIMe to leave to get to your destination at the correct TIMe, or is it the correct TIMe in Indiana? LOL

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2005 :  2:57:22 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
hm, well I hope you pass through my area in time to drop by. :) Fluffy, I sent you an email~~

Tim Reynolds Downloads
I am not the albatross of love, I am the human ellipsis. I am dot dot dot. - Leo Kottke

I hate beating people over the head with anything. We can all make up our own minds. What we don’t have is enough music. More music please. - Leo Kottke
Go to Top of Page

therippa
Fluffy-Esque

Kazakhstan
1099 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2005 :  1:56:49 PM  Show Profile  Send therippa an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Congress is thinking of extending the dst by two months to save energy...

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/04/07/daylight.saving.ap/index.html

Go to Top of Page

Robin
Yak Addict

USA
598 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2005 :  2:56:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hate Congress.....(Yes, I know it's a ridiculous statement). Peace, Robin
Go to Top of Page

Mechman293
Chatterbox

129 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2005 :  6:48:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thats just too lame for words, im sorry.

Go to Top of Page

therippa
Fluffy-Esque

Kazakhstan
1099 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2005 :  7:36:00 PM  Show Profile  Send therippa an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mechman293

thats just too lame for words, im sorry.

I think that is in reference to the second link I posted about congress, but if they do this it's actually a good thing. We will have more afternoon daylight in Februrary and March.

fuck the farmers!

Go to Top of Page

Robin
Yak Addict

USA
598 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2005 :  7:43:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't want more daylight in Feb. or March, it's not natural,I think it upsets the rythem of things. I like that hiberbating TIMe of Winter. Otherwise when do we slow down? That's just my feeling, I understand people who long for the light. And I live where it comes much sooner than some. Peace, Robin
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000