Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 Broken bones blow!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2005 :  10:16:54 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well, here I sit, stuck at home with a broken collarbone, and numerous other small injuries. To make a long story short, I had a dirt bike crash in Mexico sat night, and went to the hospital last night when I got back home to get it slinged up. It really sucks. On a plus note, San Felipe is simply beautiful. Its so uncivilized that it made me want to give up civilized life and just move down there for good. It was so dark that you could look up and see a sky full of stars, you can even see the milky way. It was so beautiful. I'd type more, but this one handed typing is pissing me off.

god
Kevin

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2005 :  11:06:43 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I just knew this was going to relate to backyard wrestling somehow... guess I'm wrong occasionally.

Sounds like a cool trip minus the broken bone. Hope it heals fast!

Tim Reynolds Downloads
I am not the albatross of love, I am the human ellipsis. I am dot dot dot. - Leo Kottke

I hate beating people over the head with anything. We can all make up our own minds. What we don’t have is enough music. More music please. - Leo Kottke
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2005 :  12:49:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ouch. You may want to heal up some more before you move down there!

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Zachmozach
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1534 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2005 :  12:23:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Collorbones suck. I've broken my right one twice. If you're in to dirtbiking just get used to the broken bones. I finally quit riding after I was in casts more than I was out one year. Well that and it's pretty expensive. Hope it heals quick and that it's not on your good arm.

Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2005 :  12:29:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i thought this was going to do with having sex........ i was mistaken.

have fun healing... i guess... or how ever i can encourage the healing process.

Remember, turn off your tv. Read.
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2005 :  6:38:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Saint Jude

i thought this was going to do with having sex........ i was mistaken.

I'm sure Kevin is happy it's not THAT bone that's broken.

Kev at least when people ask you what you did, you can say it was a gnarly dirt bike accident... not something sissy like, "I went dancing with my buddies when I dropped my sweet apple martini... and when I went to catch it I slipped on a rogue patch of excess hair gell that dripped off of the metrosexuals next to us on the dance floor and fell onto one of their sharp aligator leather toed shoes, which broke my fragile little collar bone... because I'm a nail filing, hair primping, eyebrow waxing, testicle shaving, flambouyantly gay dressing metrosexual sissy."

Go to Top of Page

guitarisPIMP
Yak Addict

Niue
587 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2005 :  8:13:24 PM  Show Profile  Send guitarisPIMP an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i thought this was going to involve watching a monkey raised by ninjas get in a knife fight with a ninja raised by monkeys. But alas, I too was wrong.

Hope it heals, bud.

my favorite color is go fuck yourself. :D
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2005 :  11:26:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you need some more of your anti-drug guitarispimp.

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

guitarisPIMP
Yak Addict

Niue
587 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2005 :  6:35:58 PM  Show Profile  Send guitarisPIMP an AOL message  Reply with Quote
ahaha thanks, buddy.

my favorite color is go fuck yourself. :D
Go to Top of Page

thomasode
Yak Addict

565 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2005 :  8:34:31 PM  Show Profile  Send thomasode an AOL message  Reply with Quote
man I hear ya...I have 3 broken fingers and just got 4 stitches out today...I seem to break finges but never anything else.
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2005 :  8:42:02 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
that metrosexual thing was hilarious.

but i do file my nails.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2005 :  4:03:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i guess we're chalking them up this month. I'm now sporting a broken wrist and torn ligaments in my dominant arm. didn't get it doing anything cool like extreme biking or swing dancing with apple martinis either. fell on black ice yesterday. boy and i forgot what a pleasant (extreme sarcasm) experience x-rays are when u have a broken bone. no mercy man. The very nice x-ray tech says "please put your hand in this position" (as she demonstrates) and i try to do it but can't move my hand wrist or fingers. I tell her sorry I can't and WHAM she does it for me. then i scream and we do it again in another position. repeatedly about 15 times. "yes dear it is certainly broken"!

the killer part too, i was back-country skiing last weekend down the back of a steep rocky Adirondack mountain with no trails, fell about 30 times and i break the bone in front of my house on the sidewalk. go figure!

and one handed typing sucks
Go to Top of Page

thomasode
Yak Addict

565 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2005 :  9:46:05 PM  Show Profile  Send thomasode an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Bummer Evergreen! I was in Routt National Forest here in Colorado and it was the most amazing skiing ever. Waist deep in the dryest mostamazing powder...no one in my group got hurt which was good.
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2005 :  10:27:01 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
they know it's broken and they tell you to move it. that's great, isn't it. it's like at the denist, where they cram as much shit into your mouth as they possibly can and proceed to hold discourse with you. and then, when you try to respond, all you get is "keep your mouth opened." "or hold still, please." thanks, bitch. what a fucking treat.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2005 :  09:52:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dan said:
quote:
they know it's broken and they tell you to move it.

oh no kidding and whats up with that. a bone sticking out of your wrist should be enough to clue them in wouldn't you say. I also like when the x-ray tech says "hold it just like that". after she crams it into position. RIGHT! I didn't call her a bitch but i did throw up on her shoes.

Thomasode said:
quote:
I was in Routt National Forest here in Colorado and it was the most amazing skiing ever. Waist deep in the dryest mostamazing powder...

that sounds awesome!! back country skiing is the best. It's so much fun cause you get to plunge in deep drifts of ungroomed puffiness surrounded by trees. Colorado must be the best for that DEEP snow. we just had a fresh dumping of snow in the adk's too. bummer i can't go again till next year.
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2005 :  11:55:27 AM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Evergreen...

Sorry to hear about your injuries, I feel your pain (figuratively, and literally!!!). I totally hear ya on the one handed typing. Hope you heal up soon!

Dan:

Good call on the Dentists, that is probably one of my biggest pet peaves. Everytime I go to the dentist the friggin morons try to shoot the breeze and bullshit with me while my mouth is full of shit. How the hell am I supposed to reply?????

Silky:

That was downright hilarious, but I assure you, there were absoltely no pink shirts being worn at the time of the accident, or any time for that matter. There was also no "product" in my hair!!

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2005 :  12:16:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and i forgot to say, 2 times now, Kevin I hope your healing well.
must be those little yellow pills they gave me for the pain.
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2005 :  4:22:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW,Evergreen, I am so sorry to hear about your wrist! I would have passed out if a bone was sticking out of me. My duaghter broke her wrist (not nearly as badly as you broke yours) and she was in a tremedous amount of pain. She had a cast on for 6 weeks. I really sympathise with you and will be sending healing vibes your way. Hope you start feeling better real soon!

Continued healing vibes to you too Kevin, oh and to Tom too!

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2005 :  08:25:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanx Pam, healing vibes are much appreciated. the bone didn't break thru the skin (sorry thats gross), so they didn't have to do surgery to set it. THANK GOD! they gave me some pretty good drugs to set it, adivan, which makes you unable to really remember the procedure/pain. i wished i had it for the x-rays too.

trying to do everything with one arm/hand has been the real challenge. pain right in the butt. simple things like putting on socks, putting my hair in a ponytail, and picking up the kitties for a cuddle have taken on a whole new meaning. But i really feel sorry for Kevin because at least laying down/sleeping isn't uncomfortable or moving around in general. collarbones stink for that. i broke mine yrs ago on my mountain bike riding on trails in the woods. i remember it even hurt to smile. what is it about bikes and collarbones?
Go to Top of Page

thomasode
Yak Addict

565 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2005 :  11:20:44 AM  Show Profile  Send thomasode an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'm all better (no more injuries Tom) and enjoying the outdoors!! We are getting hammered with snow and I have been skiing a ton! Evergreen, if you ever come out to Colorado, you should tell me and I'll show you some sweet places to ski. I'm going back up by Steamboat right now. 10 inches of new powder! PEACE!
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2005 :  11:46:41 AM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
trying to do everything with one arm/hand has been the real challenge. pain right in the butt. simple things like putting on socks

How funny that you'd single that out, because putting on socks (along with putting on deoderant) was one of the hardest most humbling things for me the first 2 weeks.

quote:
because at least laying down/sleeping isn't uncomfortable

oh man, you ain't just whistling dixie (whatever that means). I've been terribly tired this whole time as a result of not sleeping well at night. Because of my collarbone, I can only lay on my back, which I am not at all used to doing. I usually sleep in the fetal position, so I wake up numerous times throughout the night wanting to toss and turn, but being stuck in one position. Its a very clostrophobic experience

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2005 :  3:14:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hear you Kevin and Brenda on the sock thing. I fell and tore my PCL and Sprained my ACL Jan 4th. Didn't break anything thank god, but getting around was difficult to say the least. Last Friday, the first time since I fell, I finally put my sock on in a normal fashion again! I felt like calling my physical therapist and saying "Mark, guess what I just did!" Then I realized how lame that would be, but I will tell him tomorrow when I have my next session.

I also hear you about the sleeping. I had to wear a stupid knee immobilizer for weeks. I couldn't sleep on my side in the fetal position either, which is how I normally sleep too. I feel really sorry for you Kevin. Sleeping on your back is no fun.

Brenda, I think about you too. You were saying you can't put your hair in a pony tail, I think washing it and combing it would be really hard too! There are so many things we take for granted that we never think about until we are injured and can't do them. I hope you have someone around to help you. I am sure your kitties would, but they lack those damned opposable thumbs!

Continued healing vibes to both of you! As for you Tom, glad you are good as new again! Enjoy the snow. We just got a few more inches but it will probably be gone in a few days.

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2005 :  5:26:38 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Evergreen
one handed typing sucks

I've done my share of that.

Tim Reynolds Downloads
I am not the albatross of love, I am the human ellipsis. I am dot dot dot. - Leo Kottke

I hate beating people over the head with anything. We can all make up our own minds. What we don’t have is enough music. More music please. - Leo Kottke
Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2005 :  07:43:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I think washing it and combing it would be really hard too!

actually washing its easy and brushing, well, LOTS of conditioner!

The new challenge last night, opening a new jar of salsa.
had to knock on my next door neighbors door for that one. LOL
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2005 :  08:28:24 AM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I've done my share of that.

What EVER do you mean by that????

Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2005 :  07:21:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
geez it took me a week to figure out what he meant by that. I was picturing bone broken not stroking bone!
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2005 :  1:04:54 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
err, your sexual innuendo is priceless

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  12:36:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the cast comes off monday. Just thought i'd share my sheer delight. I simply cannot wait. my arm is pretty skinny and i feel like i could slip out of the cast now. which i have been so tempted to do because its driving me insane. AND i'm a little afraid of getting it removed with a device that looks and sounds like a power saw. They better not say "ok don't move". I can never hold still when someone says that.
Go to Top of Page

Zachmozach
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1534 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  1:01:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't worry the doctor would have to be a complete dumbass to cut you with one of those saws. They vibrate and don't rotate so they really can't cut you. Trust me I've had more than one cast in my life and I've even touched the saw with my finger because the doctor said I could. It didn't cut me. The best part though is the smell, and the look of your arm.

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  3:03:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
"I went dancing with my buddies when I dropped my sweet apple martini... and when I went to catch it I slipped on a rogue patch of excess hair gell that dripped off of the metrosexuals next to us on the dance floor and fell onto one of their sharp aligator leather toed shoes, which broke my fragile little collar bone... because I'm a nail filing, hair primping, eyebrow waxing, testicle shaving, flambouyantly gay dressing metrosexual sissy."
It may be a sissier story Silky, but it is infinitely more interesting than a tough old bmx accident. LOL

Sorry to hear of all the injuries of late, but be thankful. You are still alive it could be much worse.

Evergreen's x-ray story reminds of tale from my youth. I spent much TIMe in emergency rooms with broken bones, gashes, etc etc as a youth. I have broken both arms, both legs, wrists, forearm, every knuckle in every finger except my thumbs, in fact, I feel like I have more bones that have been broken than haven't. Of course all of these were not broken at the same TIMe. LOL In fact, my chipped tooth is not capped because of my proclivity for trips to the emergency room coupled with my rambunctious youth. My mom refused to have it nicely fixed(she did offer to have it capped with one of those gold things)as she said it wouldn't be long before I broke it off again. Subsequently, it was never fixed and I have grown to cherish my chipped tooth and come to see it as an integral part of my character. But I digress..........
Soooooooo, I am in the emergency room with a broken arm after falling off a rope bridge into a ravine and the woman on the bed next too me is screaming in agony. At least I though she was, I had no idea the kind of screaming that would come later. She is in a softball uniform, turns out she had tried to slide into home plate and her cleat(there's a word I don't think I have EVER typed before)got stuck in the ground and her leg kept sliding toward home plate. To paint the horrific vision before more vividly(read GROSS), imagine your laying on a bed looking down at your legs, only problem is your right foot, the sole of your right foot is flat against your left foot with nothing at the end of your leg but a GIANT black and purple knot. Her foot was completely dislocated from her leg at the ankle. YIKES!!! Then in come the Dr's and Xray tech who proceed to move her foot to position it for Xrays. Needless to say, it was not a pretty picture. Here screaming became louder and higher pitched. I have never heard anything like it short of an Aaron Carter or Backstreet Boys concert. Although this woman could have drowned out the 1000 screaming girls at either of those. It was truly horrifying to hear. I watched as they jostled her foot and leg into postion wondering if they were going to treat me with such viciousness. I was not a happy camper. When they FORCED her foot back into it's correct position I thought the windows in the room were going to shatter. Her foot is dangling to the inside of her leg and they are just wiggling it around trying to figure out what to do. BRUTAL I tell you, just BRUTAL! It may have been one of the goriest things I have ever witnessed and there was no broken skin or blood, just a giant knot at the end of her leg.

Well that was fun!! hehe

Hey Evergreen, glad to hear the cast is coming off. Hopefully my story made you feel a little better about your situation. Although I think you have heard that story before in more graphic detail. LOL

And Kev, your description of Mexico sounds like what it's like at TR's house. It is absolutely beautiful to look up in the sky and see the Milky Way so clearly overhead. It is really humbling actually. Hope your recovery is going well as well and you are out of your sling and back to sleeping normally very soon. By the way, what is "sleeping normally"? I am not familiar with this concept or term. hehe

I say less broken bones and more stroking bones for the future!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2005 :  09:00:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Well that was fun!! hehe

Hey Evergreen, glad to hear the cast is coming off. Hopefully my story made you feel a little better about your situation.

uummm thank you?
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2005 :  7:32:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
LOL, I just meant it could have been alot worse. Glad to hear you are recovering and the cast will be off for your surfin' safari!!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2005 :  08:58:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Evergreen, so happy to hear that your cast will come off Monday, if you don't wiggle out of it before that, LOL. Also glad to hear you will be vacationing in California and will be able to see TIM! Woohoo, awesome! (damn, its been so long since I had a real vacation away from home I don't even know what that is like!)

Kevin, I hope your collarbone is healed now and you are back to normal again.

I didn't break anything but partially tore my PCL and sprained my ACL in Jan. I spent 10 weeks in physical therapy. Still not back to 100% but getting there and I am back at the gym 5 days a week and it feels great!

Stay healthy everyone!

Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2005 :  2:21:59 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I guess technically, I'm still not "healed". I've been able to do everything normally for the past few weeks, but my doctor said I'm still a few weeks away from complete recovery, so that just means I can't do anything "extreme". For the rest of my life though, I'll have a lump sticking out of my collarbone where the break was.

Glad to hear that you are feeling better Evergreen! Maybe I'll see you in CA?

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2005 :  11:53:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fluffy, Yep it can ALWAYS be alot worse. I know that phrase well. Prolly the only reason I'm not neighbors with Sid Barrett in a padded room. I'm happy to see you are trying to see the brighter side with things though because "negativity is FORBIDDEN"!!

Thanx for the well wishes Pam and Kev. It feels so great to have my arm "free in the breeze". I hope I get to see you in Cali Kevin. Things are still a little up in the air because I may be closing on a house in May and the friend I'm going to Cali with may have scored tix to U2 in San Jose for 4/9 and 4/10 and replanning the trip around those shows. (and he better ask me to go cause I'M the big U2 fan, lol) Are you near San Jose? The shows are at the HP Pavillion.

Lots of stuff up in the air right now. Good stuff though. I want to try and fit all of it in as usual. Let's hope TIMing is on my side.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000